THR Officially a Double Hippie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a lot of icing today @Jaycey the incision bulge is beginning Not much leg swelling so far.
 
Ahhh, got it. Interesting that your surgeon had you do the better hip first. Maybe he was afraid you wouldn't get the second one done if your first recovery was a bit more difficult? I would imagine you will need both hips pretty much pain free to regain a normal stride. Plus you'll have to retrain your brain to get rid of the limp, so I've read. In no time you'll be back to most, if not all, the activities you enjoyed prior to the hip problems. I bet you're so looking forward to it! God bless and here's to a speedy recovery!
 
Not sure in the reasoning. I think on an X-ray they were equally bad, but the right caused more pain where the left was more limping. I will have to ask him at follow up the reasoning. :yes::kitty::kitty:
 
Hi Doodles. I'm glad you're doing well and managing the extra muscle pain ok. I had the same situation with my hip surgery, trying to decide which to do first, we had to discuss which to do first because they both looked equally bad but we went with the one that was giving me the most pain/limitations/limp (left) after I told him I didn't want to consider doing both at once. I hope all continues to go well with your recovery! Take care.
 
Has anyone had a weeping blister from surgical tape? I think ice read that it is quite common, but don't like knowing it's a possible cause of infection. My nurse will be back in the morning so she will take a look at it. In the meantime, do I leave it alone or put something on it. My incision is glued. I should have left it bandage free.
 
@Doodles51
I did a little research on the Internet regarding blisters and thought I'd post a couple of them for you. Of course, your nurse will know what to do, but until she arrives maybe these surgeon's post-op instructions might ease your mind a little. Hope this helps...:-)

[Bonesmart.org] Officially a Double Hippie


Here's the second one....

[Bonesmart.org] Officially a Double Hippie
 
Oh thank you so much @Cynthia777. I've read many things also and it sounds pretty normal. My worst fear is infection so I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to any possibility.
 
OH, I hear ya! I'm very much the same way...worry, worry and more worry or what if, what if, what if. I'm sure you know what I mean! However, since these traits are something I've lived with, I've also developed ways of coping with them. It's all about doing what you can do and then giving it to God (and trying not to take it back)!
 
hey Doodles!! Congratulations! This is the worst part of being post op, my brain doesn't seem to pick up the new posts like it should.. So! good news, good news!! And now you are home. I love private rooms. and am glad you got one.. I had that too. I agree with you about the muscle pain. I think if the muscles are tight and inflamed then it is a harsher stretch for the surgeon to gain access.
Now you are the proud owner of two shiny new hips, I really am so happy for you. :happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
darn blister!! sounds like it isn't something to be concerned about but I bet you're glad a nurse sees it tomorrow.
 
I can't believe at this time one week ago I was trying to deep breath and stay calm for surgery the next morning. Although it seems some days will never end, I'm rembering how quickly time does go those first few weeks.
 
Hi @Doodles51 ! How are you doing today? How are the blisters? So far, I have been able to dodge raindrops and still get outside to walk. But more is coming, how are you doing with walking?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @CricketHip Glad you are getting out to walk. I have not done that yet. I did try the cane around the house more yesterday and did fine, although I had a lot more swelling later in the day.
Only ended up with one blister. I think it's healing ok. Lots more bruising and healing pain with this this one, but not bad. It just freaks me out because with the first one the incision was great, no tape blisters or bruising. The nurse will be here in the morning again. It is so nice to have her coming and be reassured everything is going well.

Everyone says one hio surgery is worse than the other. Guess this is it for me. I've still managed to take only Tylenol since I've been home.

Continue your great progress! My goal is to ditch the walker in the next few days.
 
Since I had hardly any pain with first THR, I am wondering what/where the pain is for you? Obviously I have the usual incision/swelling pain. But this time I'm having a lot of almost throbbing and aching pain in inner and front thigh. Tylenol does help take it away. Just wondering if this is a normal pain? I don't know if I'm doing too much or not enough. I can't believe it would be too much. I do my usual 4 pt exercises several times a day and try to walk around the house a few minutes every hour or so when I'm up. I'm using the walker and cane about evenly.

Hope everyone is doing and healing well!
 
My discomfort is on the lateral side, at incision site and down to my knee. If I walk a lot I get an occasional twinge in the groin area and inner thigh but it's fleeting and without the dull ache that you describe.
I guess it's true, that no 2 hips are alike!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @CricketHip i think I had this same pain the first couple of days after the first surgery. I think it is muscle related. I was up doing a lot more over the weekend, some cooking, laundry cleaning up a little so maybe over did it.
 
I think you are right, the inner thigh ache got me in the first few days when I'd try walking without my cane in the bathroom.
How's your swelling? My ease of movement seemed to improve with the diminishing swelling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom