MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Hi @Josephine .... your sentence read this way: "You should be taking Ibuprofen and the like anyway.. " so I was just clarifying that it should haver read: "You should NOT be taking Ibuprofen and the like anyway.."
Oh my goodness! And I usually proof read my posts so carefully!
Anyone else only at 45 degrees ROM at 3 weeks?
Yes, quite a lot of people! And 3 weeks is awfully early to be worrying about it.
 
When your knee is swollen, it's very difficult to bend it. As time goes on, your swelling will go down. Then the bend will increase. You're worrying way too much!
 
Thank you @sistersinhim !!! Yes I am!!! I must say that tight stubborn band around the knee feeling is scary! I think I read on another thread that it's tissue working to heal and it gets tight before it softens up.. Is this right?

I have to write out a GENTLE plan. I work well with a plan and it makes me feel like I'm staying on track. I have an EXERCISE sheet from the Pre-surgery Knee Class which shows exercises that are seemingly 'required,' I have another sheet from my PT that shows two of those exercises that he wants me to focus on and then I have the ROM and Extension Stretches thread from this site. I'd like to figure out a plan of what to do when - a gentle plan that I can handle at a little over 3 weeks out. What I was doing before seemed to work fine - which was only 1/4 of what the 'EXERCISE SHEET' ask of me and so I think I'm going to continue to do that until I truly feel I can do more that is not stressing my knee.

I cooked two small meals today and did walking about the house and concentrated on some heel slides and extension work. In between I'm icing for at least an hour.

I have cut down my Oxycodone to only when I need it - which has left me especially teary eyed and depressed... as my brain is feeling the loss of the happy dope. Another thing for sure is that Tylenol makes me nauseated. So I'm going to drop that dose down to one every 6 hours. Shortly after I take two I get sick.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing for sure is that Tylenol makes me nauseated. So I'm going to drop that dose down to one every 6 hours. Shortly after I take two I get sick.
I'm going to ask @Josephine to comment on this, but the following is what I think:

The safe daily total for Tylenol is 4,000 mg, taken in 4 divided doses of 1,000 mg, at least 4 hours between doses.
A problem could arise if you are taking other medication, such as Percocet, which also contains Tylenol (Acetaminophen). That's why, here on BoneSmart, we advise checking the other medications you are taking and including the amount of Tylenol they contain in your calculation of the daily total you take.
That's also why, in the US, the safe daily total is recommended as 3,000 mg - someone didn't think people would make allowance for the other meds they are taking.

While it is true that even one dose exceeding 1,000 mg can cause some liver problems in some people, the problem is not as great as "scare" articles might have you believe.

You are taking Tylenol with something to eat, aren't you? Many medications will make you sick if you take them on an empty stomach.

As I've mentioned before, be very cautious about looking up things on the internet. Many of the claims you read there are not backed up by fact or reliable references. A sure "turn-off" should be if the site you are reading has items for sale. At best anything you read there may be true, but it's quite likely that the person who runs the site is just trying to make money from your situation or fears.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that tight stubborn band around the knee feeling is scary! I think I read on another thread that it's tissue working to heal and it gets tight before it softens up.. Is this right?
I wouldn't pay attention to other members' ideas about healing! They are not based on fact and neither are the writers medically qualified!
I'd like to figure out a plan of what to do when
Just follow what's said on here. There are many satisfied members who have obtained outcomes with it.
Another thing for sure is that Tylenol makes me nauseated.
Stop thinking this! Tylenol is used by literally thousands of people in the UK for all kinds of aches and pains and never EVER have I heard of it causing nausea.
 
@Josephine well.. my physical experience is just that - I get nauseated when I take it.. there is no doubt.. it's happened several times now..... And indeed it is taken by millions here in the USA.. and they even had me on a Tylenol drip at the hospital... BUT @Celle I do take it on an empty stomach at times because I don't usually eat every 6 hours.. especially in the late night hours... so not sure what to do there....

thanks for the other comments about not listening to others members about the tight band.. i thought for sure it was someone who was qualified to make such a stmt and was just looking to verify. I suppose it is swelling?
 
BUT @Celle I do take it on an empty stomach at times because I don't usually eat every 6 hours.. especially in the late night hours... so not sure what to do there....
Take it with at least a cracker. You have a choice really - you need medication to combat pain, so either take the Tylenol on an empty stomach and feel sick, or break your usual rule and take it with some food. You don't have to eat a whole meal with it - just enough to prevent it from hitting your stomach without anything to cushion it.
Most medications can make you feel sick if taken on an empty stomach.
 
Take it with at least a cracker. You have a choice really - you need medication to combat pain, so either take the Tylenol on an empty stomach and feel sick, or break your usual rule and take it with some food. You don't have to eat a whole meal with it - just enough to prevent it from hitting your stomach without anything to cushion it.
Most medications can make you feel sick if taken on an empty stomach.

ok.. thank you....
 
thanks for the other comments about not listening to others members about the tight band.. i thought for sure it was someone who was qualified to make such a stmt and was just looking to verify. I suppose it is swelling?
Actually, I told you about the tight band, back in Post #107.
Here's a copy of the article about it again:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

That tight band is going to be with you for several months, but it should gradually decrease. Most of its cause is explained in the article, but I think swelling can add to the feeling.
I don't think you read the other, false, explanation about its cause on BoneSmart.
 
I’m almost 8 months and I still have that tight feeling. It’s actually worse when I wear capris or long pants, rather than shorts. My knee still doesn’t like anything touching it, however loosely.
 
Actually, I told you about the tight band, back in Post #107.
Here's a copy of the article about it again:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

That tight band is going to be with you for several months, but it should gradually decrease. Most of its cause is explained in the article, but I think swelling can add to the feeling.
I don't think you read the other, false, explanation about its cause on BoneSmart.

yes! that is what I read.. thank you for claifying Celle!
 
Funkymuse.....you're expecting way too much with your recovery. My gosh, you only had your TKR less than a month ago and had an MUA in between! When you have an MUA it basically starts your recovery time clock again. At these early stages, you're going to experience some pain if you are up and around. Things like the tight band feeling are from swelling and it's very normal. But it needs to be properly medicated so you are comfortable, as allowing pain to break through can start a cycle of pain and swelling. You want to avoid that. So, please if you're experiencing pain or swelling take something on a regular basis for a while. That "something" can be a prescription pain med (hydrocodone or tramadol) or non-prescription (Tylenol). It's fine to use Tylenol if it works for you, but you're so early in recovery I would not be surprised at all that it is not strong enough for you. Also, don't forget to ice as much as possible. It's a great pain and swelling fighter.
 
Funkymuse.....you're expecting way too much with your recovery. My gosh, you only had your TKR less than a month ago and had an MUA in between! When you have an MUA it basically starts your recovery time clock again. At these early stages, you're going to experience some pain if you are up and around. Things like the tight band feeling are from swelling and it's very normal. But it needs to be properly medicated so you are comfortable, as allowing pain to break through can start a cycle of pain and swelling. You want to avoid that. So, please if you're experiencing pain or swelling take something on a regular basis for a while. That "something" can be a prescription pain med (hydrocodone or tramadol) or non-prescription (Tylenol). It's fine to use Tylenol if it works for you, but you're so early in recovery I would not be surprised at all that it is not strong enough for you. Also, don't forget to ice as much as possible. It's a great pain and swelling fighter.
Thank you so much for your response... I am having such a hard time relaxing about all this! I'm a 'go-getter' and 'get-er-er done' person so this has been a very interesting journey so far to say the least! I did have to take an Oxy tonight and I did say I would take them as needed.. so i'm thinking I should go 1-5mg every 10-12 hours. That's how much time it's been since my last one and then inbetween I've been doing Tylenol.

I overdid today and I NEED to RELAX!!! I'm beginning to have the Bone Smart truths seep into my thought process - sometimes it takes a mallet to the hard head for a few times for me to really get something. Tomorrow I plan a gentle day of rest, ice and gentle PT.. just a few little things like walking about the house.

thanks again Jamie and everyone!
 
If you are uneasy about taking the oxycodone you can always ask for a prescription of Tramadol. It's a step down from the heavier narcotics and can work well when taken with Tylenol. But, really....there is nothing wrong with using the Oxycodone as prescribed during these early weeks. Just remember that ANY pain medication (unless it is extended release) lasts only about 4-6 hours in your system. If you wait 10-12 hours you have quite a bit of unprotected time. This means when you finally take your pain med dose, you are playing catch up with pain. In the end this doesn't give you very good pain relief and you may end up eventually needing more pain meds to treat the pain completely.
 
If you are uneasy about taking the oxycodone you can always ask for a prescription of Tramadol. It's a step down from the heavier narcotics and can work well when taken with Tylenol. But, really....there is nothing wrong with using the Oxycodone as prescribed during these early weeks. Just remember that ANY pain medication (unless it is extended release) lasts only about 4-6 hours in your system. If you wait 10-12 hours you have quite a bit of unprotected time. This means when you finally take your pain med dose, you are playing catch up with pain. In the end this doesn't give you very good pain relief and you may end up eventually needing more pain meds to treat the pain completely.

thank you @Jamie - I plan to ask about this at my 2week Post Op from the Hematoma Surgery next Tues.
 
Good Day or Evening everyone as the case may be !

Morning stiffness after icing and elevating all night. Is this normal? I have been getting up when my body gets too restless from no movement late in the night to take a couple of walks to the living room and back and then I do some gentle stretching.. but by the time I get up... my knee is one stiff puppy! This is not something I should be afraid of right? Just get up and get moving a bit?
 
I'm having some luck alternating Percocet with Tylenol. On Percocet alone I had to take it every 6 hours and that wouldn't budge. In an effort to get the Percocet to every 8 hours, I take Tylenol about the time the Percocet starts wearing off. At first I could only get the extra 2 hours before needing another Percocet. But...as I kept taking the Tylenol, I began getting more time before needing more Percocet. Currently, I'm taking Percocet about every 10 hours.

Of course, I'm about a month ahead of you, so your situation is probably different. However, I found that consistent use of Tylenol has helped reduce my need for Percocet.

Good luck in finding a routine that works for you.
 
Morning stiffness after icing and elevating all night. Is this normal?
Yes, it's normal. Don't worry about it, because it will be with you for a long time yet.
Just keep doing what you're doing now.

By the way, you don't have to quote a message in order to reply to it. Just go down to the bottom of the page and start writing. If you want to just quote part of a post, that's possible, too.
This article explains:
How to use the quote feature
 
@Josephine well.. my physical experience is just that - I get nauseated when I take it.. there is no doubt.. it's happened several times now.
Well it's not. It must be something else. It could even be induced by anxiety.
they even had me on a Tylenol drip at the hospital
IV Tylenol and oral Tylenol are totally different compounds. No comparison whatsoever.
make such a stmt
funkymuse, if you meant 'statement' here then write statement. Please don't use 'text speak'. There are those of us who never text and therefore don't understand it all!
 
Oh yes.. my Text Speak.. bad habit! Thank you for correcting me on that! I sincerely appreciate all the work you do for this forum and its members and I want to post correctly.
:thankyou:
 
Back
Top Bottom