MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Well.. in thinking back a day or so.. I think I might have eaten something that caused some EColi. I'm still suffering and the anti-nausea meds are doing nothing. I've got myself going on a bland diet and am looking at ways to keep the nausea and stomach cramping at bay. Any experiences with the bacteria would be greatly appreciated.
 
I have used gas pills and/or motionsickness pills to help with tummy problems. Also, some people use apple cider vinegar.
 
I do take a good strong probiotic capsule.. maybe I should also up the dose.
ell that's what I'm talking about! But do read the instructions before you start playing around with the dosage.
you mean I should NOT be taking Ibuprofen and the like anyway.. right?
Depends what you mean by 'and the like'. Did you actually read the article? It's quite clear.
do you recommend a certain type?
Nope, sorry.
the doc prescribed Ondansetron
Never heard of his but Mr Google tells me "Ondansetron, marketed under the brand name Zofran, is a medication used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery. It is also useful in gastroenteritis."
 
Hi @Josephine .... your sentence read this way: "You should be taking Ibuprofen and the like anyway.. " so I was just clarifying that it should haver read: "You should NOT be taking Ibuprofen and the like anyway.."

I didn't read the article because I haven't been able to touch Ibuprofen for months. It tears up my tummy. So all that junk is OUT for me!

Never heard of his but Mr Google tells me "Ondansetron, marketed under the brand name Zofran, is a medication used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery. It is also useful in gastroenteritis."

Thank you! so it IS Zofran.

On another note... my knee felt pretty darn good today.. had a VERY rough night with the nausea and tummy aching but I got to moving and since my knee felt better than it has ever, I did too much! I washed my hair, did some things in the kitchen, was back and forth from the bedroom many times, sat in the living room, did a few heel slides, etc. I'm not over swollen but I just experienced some pain that I had not before. LESSON LEARNED. So now I've stopped and am icing away. I did have the tight band around it all day... as it never seems to really go away.. but it just seemed that I had more energy to move about and my leg didn't tire as quickly.

IT'S SO HARD to stay down when you start to feel a little better.
 
Yep, we've all been there! But, you will quickly learn that the knee will make you pay for it! And you'll learn how much you can do before the knee reacts.
 
Yep, we've all been there! But, you will quickly learn that the knee will make you pay for it! And you'll learn how much you can do before the knee reacts.

oh so glad i'm not alone .. i didn't figure I was! I wanna be free and do it all today! Catch up! Go back to work! Take a walk in the beautiful fall weather! Go grocery shopping! Sit at my desk and pay bills (ha ha..)

All good things come to those who wait.. elevating, icing and learning patience! !!
 
Patience, my dear, patience. This surgery will definitely teach you that!
 
Hello everyone.. went in for my first PT Evaluation. At 3 weeks TKR (10/17) and after a 1 week 2nd Hematoma Removal Surgery (10/31) I have 45degrees of ROM. I can't lift my foot or leg up from the bed at all yet. I am doing pretty good with my gait and my extension is petty good.. he didn't measure it but laying on a flat hard table, it does not hit the back of the table. I thought it was better than it is but one can't tell laying on a bed i guess! He did various strength tests and checked my gait and stride but we did no PT this time. He gave me some exercises to do at home and so now I wait to be scheduled for my sessions. But after a strenuous time getting ready to leave this morning, a long drive to the clinic, a long walk into the clinic, finding out we were an hour early and have to sit in an uncomfortable chair for that long (although I did manage to elevate my leg on another chair), and then walking out back to the car, and the long drive home.... I am SWOLLEN much more than usual and sore and that's without any PT! But he did have me getting in positions and asking me to flex and raise and push against his pressure so he could measure various degrees of leg strength. I told him for the future PT sessions that I wanted no pain and wanted them to be gentle. He did say they usually push some, so I'm planning to tell them when to stop.

I made a mistake and took one of my pain pills after I got home thinking it was time. (Freudian 'pain' slip?) - but so far the med has not kicked in as yet. I've got the ice machine going as well.

At this point I can't even begin to think about getting my 2nd one done. This entire journey so far has been such a huge shock to my life emotionally and physically. But at 3 weeks out, I guess I really don't have to think about all that yet as in reality I'm still really early in the game on this one. I just cannot imagine bi-lateral surgery !!! Omygosh!

Anyone else only at 45 degrees ROM at 3 weeks?
 
Don’t tell them when to stop pushing, tell them not to touch your leg at all! If you let them start to push they will go too far, and it will hurt, and increase your swelling and keep your knee inflamed. You are way too swollen for them to bend your leg so don’t let them! I so wish I had known I didn’t have to let them do that to me.

If I ever have to do replacement again I will do recovery the bonesmart way and not go to PT at all. My first out patient PT appointment was 2 days after surgery. Like you, the physical stress of getting dressed, getting in the car, into the building, being evaluated, then the reverse was SO unnecessary. Not next time.
 
Don’t tell them when to stop pushing, tell them not to touch your leg at all! If you let them start to push they will go too far, and it will hurt, and increase your swelling and keep your knee inflamed. You are way to swollen for them to bend your leg. Don’t let them! I so wish I had known I didn’t have to let them do that to me.

If I ever have to do replacement again I will do recovery the bonesmart way and not go to PT at all. My first out patient PT appointment was 2 days after surgery. Like you, the physical stress of getting dressed, getting in the car, into the building, being evaluated, then the reverse was SO unnecessary. Not next time.

I really appreciate this post Jockette. When did you get to the point where you could begin to bend and start gaining ROM and strength? Do you feel like they set you back at various stages of gaining ROM? What did your personal PT look like at home or did you do any? Did you walk alot? I hear that some people just slowly start walking more and more, do gentle stretching and a bit of bending now and again.
 
Well, I did get rom fine early on, but the measurement was always done with them pushing it to a painful place. They pushed it slowly, but that did not lessen the pain. I had not yet found Bonesmart so I thought that was how it had to be. I was in tears at times at PT.

I now know it doesn’t have to be that way. So next time, if I’m not going to do certain exercises at PT, and not let them touch me, what is the point in going, and having my insurance pay, and me pay a copay?

My rom came in well enough but then I had a major set back at 4 months, due to visiting friends for a weekend and struggling with their low toilet with almost nothing to help me get up. By the time I got home I was too swollen to bend hardly at all. It took 2 months for me to improve again. At 6 months I feared I was barely 90. But then closer to 7 months it was getting better.

My surgeon always pushed my knee also and I never had the nerve to tell him no, but finally at my 7 month check I told him I wanted to bend it myself and he was fine with it and we measured 114. Not that great a number for 7 months , but that’s what it was.

After I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op I did almost no exercises at home. I only did 1 or 2 reps so if my surgeon asked I could say yes I am!

I went to PT 3x a week for the first 4 weeks, then only a few more times over the next 4 weeks. ( I cancelled some)

I currently walk some but should walk more. I walked a lot today, I went shopping and my whole leg is a bit tired, but not screaming at me.

It took me over 6 months to relax about the rom and believe that given time it will come in, just like the staff here says it will.

I think our biggest problem in this recovery is the surgeons and PTs and just about everyone we meet (off this forum) telling us we are not progressing to what they think we should. They don’t allow any individuality in recovery and they want to interfere to make it go faster, which doesn’t happen. No wonder we are so emotionally stressed out!
 
How are you doing now Jockette? I mean do you feel your ROM is slowly gaining due to not so much swelling and tightness?
 
Yes, my ROM is slowly coming in. It’s only been in the last 6 weeks or so. I still need the car door open fairly wide to get in and out. I definitely still have inner swelling, because I have that tight feeling, but I don’t see hardly any swelling. I have some on the outside of my knee, both above and below it. But it’s not real obvious. I hardly ever ice anymore, but if I overdo it and it hurts enough I will put a gel pack on when I go to bed.

I still sleep with my leg elevated every night. That does wonders for me!

Try to relax about your ROM. It’s really way too early to worry about it, it will happen when your knee settles down, in spite of what your surgeon tells you (and he should know better) and especially in spite of what your PT tells you.
 
I think our biggest problem in this recovery is the surgeons and PTs and just about everyone we meet (off this forum) telling us we are not progressing to what they think we should. They don’t allow any individuality in recovery and they want to interfere to make it go faster, which doesn’t happen. No wonder we are so emotionally stressed out!
@Jockette, hit it right on the head! I couldn't have said it better!
 
It's amazing.. the deep pain and heat in my knee just gets worse as the day moves into the evening. I feel discouraged and I hope that I have not damaged it with my PT outing today... gosh... Lots of icing tonight I suppose. When I got home from the PT Evaluation, I iced for like 4 hours. I hope it feels better tomorrow. I feel like I've been set back from my gentle progress... :sad:
 
It may take a day or two for your knee to settle down again. Don't worry, though, because it will improve.

I did no PT at all after my last TKR and only minimal PT for the previous ones.
My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM (Range of Motion) for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.
 
I am new to this forum. I fill get my left TKR on November 27, 2017. I am glad to be a part of this forum. My right knee was replaced on Sept 15, 2014
 
Kombucha also has probiotics in it if you want a natural source. You might want to try the GTS brand from the grocery store. You can even make your own, instructions are all over the internet. It is fermented sweet tea.

I think you can also get probiotics in pill form.
 
Thank you once again for the reminder @Celle - It's funny but with all the bombardments from my end of the world I still have the fear of no ROM without some effort and have to be continually reminded NOT to do too much!!! Plus my own nature of wanting to 'do what I can' and 'get things done,' and 'make progress.' I'm certainly not used to not doing much to make progress!!

Welcome @Lioness56 - glad you are aboard the BoneSmart Train with us all.. a great community to get support and love during your recovery journey!

@rubyyarn - sadly I can'd do Kombucha... it messes with my tummy.. but I do take the probiotics in pill form. But thank you for your suggestion!
 
Back
Top Bottom