MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

When I went to see my OS 2 weeks after my MUA and I was still using a cane and my muscles and IT band were hurting a lot, the first thing he did was do x-rays to make sure (1) everything was in place and (2) to make sure that the kneecap was not cracked. Thank goodness it wasn't. Maybe your OS needs to make sure everything is okay.

@4quilts - Knee cap seems ok.. pain in knee area only seems to spark when quad muscles start acting up. How long did it take for your muscles to settle down and the bend to start coming? I forget ...did you tell me you had bend right away? I'm only like maybe 30% and I can't work too hard because of these muscles acting up!

I had bend right away. Quads, IT Band and hamstrings hurt a lot for about a month. I still have issues with quads and IT Band but they are tolerable. Looking forward to the day when they are totally healed. Still getting deep tissue and deep muscle massages two times a week.

You do not have to do that aggressive PT. You don't have to do any PT. You already know how to rehab your knee. And you can do it gently and not harm those muscles anymore than they already are. If your pain doesn't diminish, I'd go see someone else. You need to make sure your knee or your muscles aren't torn.

Did he give you your prescriptions?

Did he give you your prescriptions?

Forgot to mention that.. yes he did. I'll do a Flexeril tonight to sleep and tomorrow Hubby will pick up the Robaxin. They are still working on the Volertan Gel.. working to get the insurance to approve it BUT I had a container of it from early last year because of my knee issues before the TKR so I remember it and have been using it but I'm going to run out.. so I'm grateful I will be getting more. Hopefully!

My new PT recommended an accupunturist who is on a sliding scale who apparently is quite good. He won't be touching the leg muscles but will be putting needles into the opposite upper arm.. very interesting!

She also wondered if I might be having an extreme sympathetic system response and that's why she recommended the accupunture.

As far as the PT.. I want the massage.. so I will go back to her when my thigh muscles come out of their hypersensitive state.. and as the budget allows.

Great that you're getting your meds! They should be a big help!

As far as the PT.. I want the massage.. so I will go back to her when my thigh muscles come out of their hypersensitive state.. and as the budget allows.
You can tell your Dr that you have a PT.
No worries then.

I know it’s really hard but try to relax. Being upset will make your knee/leg hurt more. Been there, done that!

I know how stressed you are. I have a tendency to replay situations and conversations over and over (and over!)
Sometimes I have to tell myself I’m arguing with people who can’t even hear me because they aren’t even in the house with me! (I’ve had many such conversations with my surgeon :rotfl:)

I can buy both Voltaran Gel and Robax Platinum which is a combo of methocarbanol (which is the same as robaxicet I believe) and either Acetaminophen or ibuprofen in Canada over the counter. If I wasn’t away from home I’d overnight you my own stash. I don’t find I get drowsy on the Robax like I do with Flexeril. Hope you get your meds sorted out.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having these painful muscle spasms! I agree that Flexeril is a useful beast: it helps the spasms but can knock out an elephant. :unsure: At least, this elephant. So if you can find something better for work, definitely go for that. I can’t believe your surgeon is recommending aggressive PT at this point.

As others have said, he cannot force you to go to PT. Neither does he know what you do at PT. My OS never asked about whether I went or what I did. You might not need to get into a battle; just do what you want anyway. I always ask myself in these cases: What is the worst that can happen? If it’s not Death or anything truly dire, you have options. So... what is the worst that can happen if you just do PT your way? Probably not much, and if you get good results even your OS won’t care.

Look at your own history. What works best for your knee?

Robax Platinum which is a combo of methocarbanol (which is the same as robaxicet I believe) and either Acetaminophen or ibuprofen in Canada over the counter
Amazing how different areas rate things! I wish I could buy that here over the counter!

@funkymuse - you don't need aggressive PT after an MUA. All you need is to keep your knee moving gently. You can do that at home.

Aggressive PT will just make your knee and leg even more upset and that will slow down your progress. Don't make that mistake. It's your knee, not anyone else's, and you are the only one who has the right to say what happens to it - so do what keeps it happy.

@Jockette - you cracked me up with the part about replaying conversations in my head that I'm having with other people! LOL Totally! Yah he ask for the PT's number and I gave it to him and warned her ahead of time that he wanted aggressive therapy, etc., etc.

@CdnCarol - so glad to hear that the Robax does not make one sleepy. I just can't do that! I sure hope it helps my muscles feel better. I took 1/2 of a 500mg just now so we will see!

@SusieShoes - yah I'm just thinking today as we are running around trying to get me to the accupunture appointment and my leg has turned into a solid log... how in the hell does my OS think I can work through and bend a log? In the early days each time I would go to PT, by the time I got there I was already swollen more than I was a home and by the time I got home, my leg was wasted. I just don't get the entire thing.

@Celle - I totally agree.

And again, as I said my leg was not happy by the time I got to the accupuncture appointment and I actually had to him to take the needles out about 30 min in because my knee was so uncomfortable. I mean, I got ready to go, we left the house, we got there, I crippled up a flight of steps, tried to sit in a chair while I waited, went into the doctor's private office to discuss how he works, got into the accupuncture chair and tried to get leg comfortable... finally got out of the chair, hobbled back to waiting room, had to try and sit in the chair again, had to get up and pay the man, then had to get down the flight of stairs and at that point I was crying and then get back in the car and get positioned. Since the grocery store is on the way home, I then sat in the back seat with leg elevated while hubby got grocery's and gas and by the time I got home and into my bed, my knee was throbbing horribly with pain! Talk about stiff! It hasn't been this stiff since the 1st surgery! sigh.

That's enough of that and enough of everything. I hope I can make it through the day tomorrow. I'm bringing a good stool to put under my desk to get it up and then I'll have a chair to elevate as well.

This sure is like the early frustrating days. I'm not going to any more PT or Accupuncture until my leg is much better. It's all just too hard on it and sets it back.

My new PT recommended an accupunturist who is on a sliding scale who apparently is quite good. He won't be touching the leg muscles but will be putting needles into the opposite upper arm.. very interesting!

VERY interesting!! Before surgery, I was going to a sliding scale acupuncturist for various reasons ... mainly I enjoyed the ambiance and peace of the "acunap" room. And it did help.

Today was my first day back since surgery. After chatting for a couple of minutes about the knee issues, she told me she wasn't going to work directly on the left knee (at least for now). She said she was going to work on the opposite, upper arm! :D And she did. She put a couple of the needles in proximity to the knee, but not anywhere directly on it. She concentrated on putting the needles in my right elbow area. It's nice to see that there's an actual "procedure" to the work they do, and they're not making it up as they go.

As for results, she hadn't wanted to work on the knee itself because she didn't want to bring on any pain. I DID feel tingling up and down my scar, surprisingly, so whatever she did, she knew what she was doing. I think I was walking better, after. So I think acupuncture is definitely worth a try from you.

(BTW ... it was an actual doctor ... a neuropathist, who originally recommended acupuncture to me)

good luck!

That MUA seems to have really done a number on your muscles. You figure a normal "muscle pull" takes a while to heal but this is pretty severe. :(
I think you're doing what you can. Bend until just before you feel the spasm but not pushing more. Use the flexeril--I agree with SusiesShoes--it will knock you out. I have had skelaxin prescribed as a mild muscle relaxer but I think it's more expensive than the robaxin you mention. If somehow it can "short circuit" some of the nerves in overdrive the acupuncture sounds worth a try. I know some people swear by it. I've never tried it myself.

:console2:

I pray you have a very good day tomorrow at work. Please take it as easy as you can! At least you have a way to elevate. Don't forget to take an ice pack to two, also. You will need them! Please let us know how you do.

hi funkymuse ~ wishing you all the best getting back to work. as long as it's not too physically taxing, you will probably feel better at work than having to deal with doctors and physiotherapists making you do exercises your knee isn't ready for.:fingersx:

Hello my friends...

Well yesterday I tried the Robaxin in the early afternoon and went right to sleep! I'm so glad I didn't try it at work! So that's it for me on muscle relaxers! And I've noticed that about an hour or two after I take a muscle relaxer, a horrible restless leg syndrome starts!!! Awful! I'm just so bad on any meds! My system is so sensitive... I'm glad on one hand but handling pain at times is hard because of it. I have been taking one 2mg Dilaudid at night to sleep and for a bit of the pain in the knee itself and over time I'll take it down to 1 mg and then to nothing.

@MyTest I'm sure the MUA will be beneficial in time as my knee cap seemed to be stuck and came loose when he did it. Said he heard a loud pop.. (OUCH)... I hurt just thinking of it! But right right now I'm still pretty swollen with alot of muscle pain, with a bend of about 20-30 percent.

As far as today.. overall pretty good. Reminded me of coming back from my original TKR 7 weeks out. I had my cane, my stool for under the desk and my chair to elevate. I had my rotating ice packs and all that helped. The way I have to sit, however due to my knee not bending very much however, is very hard on my mid back... so that was just so painful all day.

I took a bath when I got home and actually soaked my leg tonight. It doesn't seem to have swelled up much. Then I put on some Voltaran and now I'm resting. My knee and leg are certainly tired and achy, so they are glad to be down for the count tonight. I hope I can sleep without that darn quad spasaming out everytime I move tonight! Last night I had about 4 instances of it and it's so frustrating because I cannot lay on my sides.. I have to sleep on my back and then I feel my muscles desperately wanting to stretch and then they do and then the burning spasam happens! sigh.

Thank you all for caring enough to check in and see how today was going to go! I thought that was so sweet!

Hope everyone is doing well..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom