MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Thank you @Beckadeez - you are so kind chiming in with your kind words. Thank you!

Well everyone.. I think "I" finally found a great PT!!!! No force full bending.. no strength training or squats - no fearful threats!!! Oh my gosh! She did gentle massage, and she did 'cupping' which my sore muscles really responded to! She said my muscles were severely tramatized and so she was gentle but not to the point of too gentle. Just enough. We worked on some walking technique where I use to learn my core muscles to help, even though I can barely bend right now and she even loaned me a cane so I'd have two canes and won't have to limp along with one as I'm working on the walking. She suggested that I get up every hour and walk using the technique for 3-5 minutes and also keep the knee moving a bit here and there while I'm elevating. She even prayed over my knee!!! She's very expensive and my insurance does not cover her or anyone in my area actually but I have to bite the bullet here and go. I'm going to go two more times next week and I hope that will be all I need... but we will see.

I did try the Voltaren gel and I think it's working. Not sure as yet. But I have to say for pain, I've been using the Sombra and man it does indeed work! So I think I'm set on a recovery plan now and I don't feel lost in the dark woods with my OS screaming from beyond - "AGGRESSIVE THERAPY!" "WORK THROUGH THE PAIN, OR SCAR TISSUE LOOMS!" Oh my gosh! What a fearful nightmare!!!
:shocked: :scary: :shocked: :bolt:
 
Hey funkymuse I’m glad you have found someone to help such a relief!

It sounds like my suggestion is a little early but maybe keep it in your arsenal -have you thought about hydrotherapy in a warm pool? I know where I go that there are people who struggle to walk on land but in the warm water their muscles relax and they can start to move. More than anything else the warmth of the water just feels so lovely. You don’t need to do loads of exercises.
 
Yes @Angiebabe I love the idea but at this stage anything warm increases my swelling but I will put this in my back pocket for sure!!! Thank you!!!
 
that is wonderful news funkymuse; a physiotherapist that understands. wishing you all the best in healing.:fingersx:
 
I was glad to come to your thread today and to see you're getting some relief. I do think sometimes the voltaren gel does help on things like muscles, so maybe it is helping. Just don't slather it on like moisturizer. ;) I'm glad you have what seems to be a knowledgeable PT. Wishing you some good sleep.
 
@liam2015 - I wanted to write and say thank you for your explanation and kind words.. you are a true sweetheart and I really appreciate you chiming in with your experience which by the way, I am envious of! I wish I had your 'trust' to stick it out so the bend would come naturally BUT from what my doc said about the kneecap popping loose during the MUA - I guess I needed to go through this. It's been brutal and I have to say for me it's been as bad as the original TKR but I don't think the pain is going to last as long since it's not the same type of surgery. Now I know what many on this board say about being set back to the start.. for me, that's what it has felt like.

After today's session my knee is pretty darn sore and so I don't feel like doing too much more. It's a true labor to get up and walk..it's hard to do and it hurts. I did take 1/2 of a Flexeril as I don't think that will hurt and I'm going to take the other half at bedtime.

The other good news I just got was the PT emailed me and is giving me the sessions at a great discount! So she really cares. My heart is full with gratefulness about that.

Sending good vibes to everyone.. this journey is not for sissy's.
 
Finding a therapist you can work with is such a godsend. She sounds wonderful! Just as importantly, you have found your inner recovery commander. :) You control the plan. Let your knee be your guide.
 
Such good news after some very dark days, my friend! What a relief to have a plan and someone to work with you. You can do this! The memory of this awfulness will recede into a warm mist with time.
 
What fantastic news! Wow, and your super pt is giving you a discount. Yes, that's a godsend and a huge blessing! And to pray over your knee! Amazing! What is Sombra?
 
After coming out of my brace for 4 weeks my knee didn’t want to bend at all. The brace was an immbolizer, so no bending the knee for 4 weeks. My knee was very stiff, but I just did very easy heel slides and concentrated on bending my knee when walking. When I started formal PT a few weeks later they shad me rocking the pedals on the bike. A week or 2 later I got a full rotation! I was so happy I squealed out loud! It took a while, but eventually the bend came. You just need time, time to let everything settle and heal before the knee bends.
 
You are all WONDERFUL cheering me on and sharing in the journey!!! Thank you so much!
:loveshwr:

Needless to say, I"M SORE tonight... thank God I can rest. I also wrote my work and ask for a couple more days if I needed them, coming back on Wed instead of Mon. (fingers crossed with prayer).

@sistersinhim - Sombra! https://www.sombrausa.com/
 
I've never heard of it before. I see that Amazon sells it. Do you use the warm or the cool formula?
 
I’m so glad you found a caring and helpful PT. While I was at PT today my therapist, who is having a revision next week, told me that he hopes that he’s where I am at in recovery when he’s 4 weeks out. I thanked him and said today was a good day, yesterday, not so much. He proceeded to tell me that after his knee replacement he had to have an MUA, and he described the pain exactly how you described it. He said it was swollen so huge and the inner thigh muscle was so sore he couldn’t even touch it. He said about a week after he developed a bruise on his hip. He said the doctor tore the thigh muscle. They bent his knee to touch his backside. He said he’s already told his surgeon that he will not be doing that again. While this male PT is telling me this, I’m sitting there thinking of you and what pain you’re going through. I hope you find relief soon.
 
I just want to report in that it was a very ROUGH night. Intense pain whenever I simple moved my leg. All the muscles were totally irritated and it re-ignited the pain. so I think I overdid it yesterday and maybe my leg wasn't ready for the massage and cupping. BUT I am walking every hour for 3 min and going to elevate inbewteen and I'm sure today it will improve with this gentle approach. I may also try some quad stretching.
I'm not sure if I should do this again on Tues... by end of Sun I'll see where I'm at BUT I don't want to go backwards in my healing especially since work is looming in a few days.

@sistersinhim - I ended up with the warm Sombra. I didn't know there was a cold when I got mine - which I got on Amazon as well.

@jboles Thank you so much for the post on your PT friend. Wow. that is very scary. So I take it he never recovered from his MUA? His poor thigh muscle! I'm so glad mine weren't torn!!!! That scares me just thinking of it! So why is he having a revision if I may ask? Something wrong with the hardware or?
 
Yes he did recover from the MUA, but he said it took a while, and a lot of gentle therapy. It’s been 11 years and his replacement has loosened. I asked him how could he tell, he had long explanation, then showed me his X-rays and I could see what he was talking about.
 
@jboles - wow.. i wonder if he was a runner or something. i'm certainly hoping to not do anything to mess mine up!! Sounds like i'm on the trek for a slow go.. but that's ok.. i just hope my work will work with me!
 
Scary prospect. I'm doing the best i can to avoid ever damaging or wearing out my new knee joint!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom