THR Ocean’s recovery story.

@Ocean Good move to get this second hip done ASAP. If it is already in a bad way it does need to go. You will be so relieved when you join the double hippie club!
 
Hi @Ocean :wave: I am so happy to hear you now have a date for surgery on the right hip! My left deteriorated very quickly - over a period of a few months and towards the end of my pre-op stage the pain was very bad and the painkillers were no longer working well. Whereas initially I was considering waiting for maybe another year or so, I was so glad I did not, and my surgeon warned me not to wait as recovery would be more difficult if the femoral head deteriorated to the point of collapse.
 
@Ocean I'm still having problems with my right knee that was replaced on July 19, 2021. I was finally able to explain to Chris, my PT, where the pain was in my thigh when I walked very much and that the more active I was (exercises and recumbent bike), the tighter my knee got. Chris was here today and did a detailed exam of the muscles in my right leg. Afterwards, he said he has never seen muscles as tight as mine are; that it is no wonder I'm having so much pain in my knee. (I call it tightness because I have a different definition for "pain," but in PT language, it's still pain.) I asked Chris why my right knee was in better shape after my right hip replacement than it is now, after both have been replaced. He said that after my right hip was replaced and I had so much pain in my left hip, I put even more weight and stress on my right leg, which led to this situation with my knee. The muscles on the outside of my right thigh have overdeveloped, and the muscles on the inside of my right thigh have atrophied. My right kneecap has shifted to the right because of the muscle inbalance. I asked if the situation is recoverable, and he assured me that it is. I am only doing one exercise now, 3x a day, to develop the atrophied muscles. It appears it will take a while to recover, but at least I've started.

So, your physio has it right. Even though you don't have a replaced knee, the stress on your left leg because of the pain in your right hip will make recovery more difficult the longer you wait. I see that there is three months between your two THRs. That is the length of time that Dr. Bradshaw wanted me to wait before I had the second hip replaced, and I made the appointment ASAP. Hang in there. You are having the right hip replaced as soon as you can. That's a good decision.
 
:hi:

Just catching up and saw you have your date for #2.
Sorry your knee is giving you fits but I'm glad that you are able to get this other hip sorted soon so everything can get settled.
Hope your Tuesday is happy.
 
@wander03, thank you for your post, it helps to know that this is probably a common problem and that it can be fixed after the next surgery.

At the moment it’s quite painful and sore in that area to walk and my surgeon said that between now and the next surgery go home and ‘walk, walk, walk’. I got the impression that he agrees with the walking being the best exercise. I’m doing what I can.
 
@Ocean I find it interesting that your surgeon says to "walk, walk,walk." I wanted to be able to do the things I really needed to do, and I found it painful to walk before my second THR, so I babied my hip by not walking any more than I had to. Walking after THR I understand, but before, when it is extremely painful? That I don't understand.
 
@Ocean, great news about your surgery date! I'm getting close to my 9/7 date to see my OS so I can get on his surgery schedule for my right hip replacement. It's been eight years since my left hip surgery but I remember the pain of walking and I sorta looked at my ortho dr. then like he had snakes coming out of his ears. He wanted me to walk two miles a day....and I told him I was lucky to walk to the bathroom and kitchen. I understand the need to continue to move but I'm not signing up for a hike anytime soon. With this right hip, I do have some days that there is not as much pain, but if I overdo it, I'll pay for it the next day with the soreness. Listen to your body and do what you feel is right.
 
@wander03, my knee didn’t start hurting until the day after I saw my consultant and the walking advice is for the operated leg. I’ll do what I can because between the knee and the right hip awaiting surgery, it’s not comfortable. I love walking though.

The right hip often catches and feels like it’s going to give way so the physio said to use the crutch on the other side for safety.

I wonder how I will be in six months/a years time. Hopefully both hips will be going great. I really trust my consultant totally.
 
@Ocean Hopefully in 6 months after the 2nd hip is done you will be doing great! For me 6 months after I had both hips replaced I was on a plane for a cross country journey to a school reunion. And had zero problems with the new hips :egypdance:
 
I wonder how I will be in six months/a years time. Hopefully both hips will be going great.
This will be you -> :happyfeet:
A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary! Under a month to go now until you're a double hippy. :egypdance:
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
 
Thank you @Layla for your good wishes.


My left hip is feeling strong but there is a little click when I go up stairs, no pain though, I will mention it to my consultant when I see him.

In a lot of ways I am looking forward to my second new hip but it’s all I seem to think about now hips, hips hips… think I’m a bit obsessed.
 
Good to hear your recovery is going well @Ocean !!

Hopefully, as others have said, in 6 months' time both your hips will be GREAT!!:banana-santa:
 
My left hip is feeling strong but there is a little click when I go up stairs, no pain though, I will mention it to my consultant when I see him.
Some members complain about clicking, clunking and popping sounds. It is natural to be concerned and wonder if something is wrong. It seems more often than not that noises aren’t indication of a problem. It takes time for the soft tissue surrounding the implant to heal and settle in with the implant and begin working smoothly. If it continues occurring it’s worth discussion with your surgeon, especially if accompanied with swelling or pain, but if not over time it will most likely stop.

Not too long until October 10th. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
 
Before my knee replacement my knee made every noise imaginable. After surgery it still had a click which really upset me because I expected to hear nothing. My surgeon said it was normal & for some this went away, for others it didn't. Luckily mine did. I asked him about the hip & he said it was a totally different type joint and there would be whatsoever & feel not different than the hip I was born with. Everyone I know who've had a replacement say that is the case. Including those who continue to ski.
Love to hear what your surgeon says is causing that in case I experience it as well.
I'm right behind you for hip replacement on October 12th.
 
:wave:@Ocean
Down to a few weeks, and then you'll be on your last hip recovery journey so 2023 can be Your Year!

Will be following your story.... hope your Saturday is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
So, I just decided to find my recovery thread ready for hip two tomorrow. I will be glad when it’s done and it’s a morning admission this time which I’m happy about.

Can I change my thread title to reflect that it’s number two please? The tthree months have gone so quickly. It’s our 30th wedding anniversary today, where did that time go…
 
Can I change my thread title to reflect that it’s number two please?
Certainly - or you can start a new thread for #2. Which would you prefer?

All the best tomorrow!
 
@Jaycey, I suppose a new one would be easier to navigate, I thought we were only allowed one thread but maybe that’s one thread per hip :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom