THR Ocean’s recovery story.

Welcome home!

This made me laugh:
The surgeon visited and said it was horrible in there! I think I knew that.
All lovely and smooth in there now.

Don’t worry about the physio appointments. They should be a helpful source of advice and reassurance. Just make it clear from that start that you won’t do anything that hurts or is pushing you too soon. Take away their suggestions but don’t feel under any obligation to follow them.

Your recovery is off to a great start, keep it up!
 
Good morning

I had an OK night but sleeping on my back was every bit as uncomfortable as I’d imagined it to be. I got up once to the bathroom with hubby escorting me.

I feel good, only sore when I walk. I’ve given myself my blood thinning injection, helped hubby with breakfast, washed, cleaned my teeth and now I’m tired.

Plans for today include resting, eating, mobilising, repeat.

I’m happy with how it’s going but nervous of anything going wrong I don’t want to wish my life away but I wish that I was further along the recovery path.


Love to you all ♥️
 
@Snoopy55, the physio starts in two weeks time. At the moment they say just walking and activities of daily living plus some ankle pumps and slides. I’m walking around the house regularly and going up and downstairs to the bathroom which is manageable because we have a rail each side to hold onto.

I bought a folding commode for downstairs for emergencies but I haven’t used it yet.
 
I don’t think there is anything wrong with wishing the first two weeks or so of recovery away! Well, except that wishing ain’t gonna make it happen.

There are some bits to enjoy though. Just the fact of getting through another day, another night is an achievement to be celebrated: for Hip 1, I was anxious to feel better. With Hip 2, I knew that there was just a period to get through, and I marked each day off on a calendar. Not feeling the arthritis pain. Not having to fear the operation. Being waited on hand and foot (if that applies!) and having nothing to worry about except recovery. I must admit, the other day I was passing through the downstairs bedroom where I spent pretty much all my time for the first few weeks, and I had a sudden pang of nostalgia for those idle carefree coddled days. A bit of selective memory there probably.

I hope the self injections are going ok. It was one of the things that caused me most angst with Hip 1, so much so that I refused flat out to do it for Hip 2 and they came up with pills instead. I did find that icing the target area before and after helped a bit.
 
@Klassy, thank you for reminding me to count my blessings, you are right that the fear of the operation and the old pain is gone and a burden lifted. I’m particularly grateful that I could pay to have the operation privately thanks to an inheritance from my uncle who sadly passed away in January. Our health board are in a pickle with the waiting list, I have been waiting for three years and they are estimating another three years.

I don’t mind the injections and I’m glad that I haven’t got surgical stockings!
 
There’s another thing for your gratitude list, no stockings! Those stockings were vying with the self injections on my most-hated list.

I went private for both my hips and I too feel blessed that I could find the money. I waited in the NHS queue for about 10 months for Hip 1 before giving up, with Hip 2 I didn’t even consider anything but private as the NHS queues have got so much worse. I feel so sorry for those who have no choice but to wait in pain.
 
@Ocean If I had to pay for my three joint replacements during the past year, I would probably be severely restricted in what I could do physically because I’m not sure I would have had the financial resources to pay the very high costs of the surgeries here. I am grateful for Medicare and my Medipak Supplement that covered all the costs. Of course I pay quite a bit for the Medipak Supplement, but it is worth it to me for all costs to be covered. The posts by you and @Klassy are the first I have read about choosing to go private. I have read about how great it is to have the NHS and have medical costs covered, and I still think there are many benefits, but it seems that the wait times you talked about can be a real problem.

Like you and @Klassy, I am constantly grateful for the benefits of having my right knee and both hips replaced. Your ability to pay to have the operation privately, not having surgical stockings, so many things for which to be grateful. I have often told people that a few decades ago, a person whose knee and/or hip joints have deteriorated would have been bedridden or in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. I think we are very fortunate to live in this space in time so that we can continue to enjoy active lives.

I relate to @Klassy saying that she knew with Hip 2 that there was just a period to get through. I think knowing what is coming by having been through it before makes the recovery more bearable. That is one of the ways that BoneSmart can be helpful. In sharing our experiences, we find out that others have gone through the same process and have come out the other side in better physical shape and better able to enjoy life.

The best to you during your recovery. In my experience, things smooth out and recovery seems to accelerate somewhat after the first two weeks. Hang in there. This, too, shall pass.
 
I don’t want to wish my life away but I wish that I was further along the recovery path.
I remember this well. I just wanted to be one week post op for some silly reason. After that I focused on my next milestone, ditch the walker, followed by get rid of the cane and get back behind the wheel. I thought in meeting those goals life would seem more normal…and it did! Then the weeks just start clicking on by. You’ll be at Physio before you know it. Wishing you a pleasant weekend!
 
Plans for today include resting, eating, mobilising, repeat.

I’m happy with how it’s going
@Ocean Hello and do take it easy peasy as @JohnWilky says.

I am going for my 6 week post op appointment this afternoon and have prepared a summary progress report for my surgeon. Typing out the progress chart focussed my mind on how far I have come in my walking and ADL (Activities of Daily Living). From frame to crutch to quadripod to single cane. From walking from bed to bathroom to walking 3 - 4 km a day. It happens, maybe gradually, but it does happen. Do take it slow and try to stay ahead of the pain!
 
The night was ok, perhaps I’ll get used to sleeping on my back but I don’t think so. I’m feeling ok, a bit tired and a bit queasy but that might be the heat.

I went into the kitchen earlier and realised that I didn’t have my walker or crutches with me. I don’t know if that’s good or bad…



@wander03, the nhs is a wonderful service but covid has hit it hard and it’s the elective surgeries that are being left behind. More people are looking to get hips and knees done privately because they are in pain and at ages where they don’t want to completely lose their mobility. I know people who have cashed in pension plans, got bank loan or equity release or used life savings. People feel that they shouldn’t be in this position but there’s nothing else to do.

@Boofit, I hope you appointment was good.
 
Last edited:
I got used to sleeping on my back, always been a side sleeper, right side in fetal position but that was my surgery side so just now can lay on that side somewhat comfortably.
I love when I forget my cane, makes me realize how much better I am!
Covid put so many people behind in surgery and recuperation. So sad.
Keep resting and icing, I had super busy day yesterday and have very busy weekend ahead so I'm taking it nice and easy today.
All my best.
 
I went into the kitchen earlier and realised that I didn’t have my walker or crutches with me. I don’t know if that’s good or bad…
Amazing, actually! The fact that you forgot says something. I don’t know if it’s the pharmaceuticals causing forgetfulness, or a natural stability you’re feeling with your new hip. While we do realize quickly that new hip will actually hold us up, the assistive devices help provide stability and a measure of safety, hopefully keeping us on our feet as opposed to on the ground.

I certainly sympathize with you on the back sleeping. Not my preferred sleeping position either. Like anything, with time it seems to get easier, until you’re able to side sleep again. I’m sorry you’re feeling queasy. I hope it passes soon.
You seem to be doing really well. Keep up the good work!
 
:wave:@Ocean

Early morning here on the East Coast of U.S.:mcoffee:

I sure do remember the "Way Back" during this time in my recovery... and getting comfortable to be able to sleep was a process, for sure.
I tried many forum suggestions...some that helped ...but on reflection, it was more of a Time thing.:bored:
(not very helpful, I know)
Most I can add, is some sympathy.:console2:

Healing Mojo coming your way.
 
So I had surgery on Monday, late afternoon and today is Sunday so I’m not sure if this is day 6 or day 7.

Things are going well, I’m resting a lot, walking around the house, making cups of tea, getting snacks and going up and down stairs to the bathroom regularly.

I’m taking paracetamol four times a day, I haven’t had to take the codeine at all yet.


I’m napping when necessary but don’t sleep well in the night due to the back sleeping thing, I know this isn’t unusual so I’m not stressing over it. I’ve slightly pulled a muscle in my arm when I was pulling myself onto the bed so I will be careful with it today.

From day five the physiotherapy sheet has more exercises and I’ve confused myself, should I try some, or not? I don’t mind the ankle pumps and gluteal squeezes but the hip extensions and abduction look scary. Should I give them a go?

All in all, I’m quite comfortable except for the bruising, but I don’t know the balance between doing too much or not enough.
 
the hip extensions and abduction look scary
No need for this so early out. And unless you have someone show you exactly how the exercise is done, I would not attempt it. You are not in training - you are healing. Plenty of time for strengthening exercises when that hip settles from all the trauma.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom