Revision TKR Now what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy,
The same thing happened to me 2 days before my surgery was scheduled. I found out the facilities and doctors were not providers with my insurance. I positively flipped out.
I did call the facility and asked what my options were and they agreed to accept my insurance. With my insurance 'out of network' providers get paid less, but the facility billed and the doctors agreed to accept the allowed amounts. I would think they might do that for you as a professional courtesy? I know you probably don't want to ask, but you should ask.
Wishing you the best..
Minnie
 
Sandy, boy can I relate. The insurance company through my employer is one of the worst for paying claims, and out of network nonsense. My husband had a bad accident 2 years ago, was unconscious and in intensive care for 2 days, in hospital total of 10 days. I got a letter on the 4th day saying none of it was going to be covered. I flipped out. In the end, it all worked out but...wow.

I hope you can find a way to work through this. I wish you much luck!

Dawn
 
Sandy....I honestly think these folks take courses in how to provide the WORST customer service possible! Hang in there, darlin'.....you have proven you are tough and you'll get through it. Just always keep fighting. You have all of us behind you as well as that great family of yours.
 
Thanks all.

My sweet hubbie spent the better part of the day on the phone 1st with the insurance company, and yes, ALL the docs/Hospitals take it. Then he called ALL my providers to make sure they covered my insurance and all was good.

Things are not all great, I'll still have the deductable (no more than 2,500 out of pocket), and may need to pay the bills, then send them to my insurance company for reimbursement.
I know this is commonplace in a lot of places, but for the time I worked with this group, insurance picked up 100% and no co-pay, so this is a big change for us.

Oh well, so it goes.

I'm seeing a therapist who is teaching me to meditate. I need to learn it because I am really on edge.

I'm still not decided to stay on this side or go back to the pre-op's.
Don't want to frighten the first-timers.

Would it be prudent to add a Knee Revision area so that those of us facing that or having issues can share with each other?

Don't want to scare the newbies, but knee revision does happen, and none of us expects to need one.
I'd just like to post in an area to which I belong.
Not Pre-op. Not post op. BOTH.

Sandy
 
I'm glad the insurance issue is resolved now....at least as well as it can be. Just stay right here, Sandy....no need to go over to pre-op. People who have a second knee or hip done also stay right here in the recovery forum. There needs and experiences are different from someone who is totally new to the surgery. The other folks having revisions will find you here. What I have done is change your prefix from a TKR to REVISION, though. That way folks could more easily see your thread.
 
Sandy,

My heart goes out to you, I know what a mess insurance can be. Whenever there is something to deal with the insurance co about I make my husband do it I just can not handle it. Had anxiety attacks one trying to clear somethingup with them.

I don't know way we don't fix what we already have that's all messed up instead of fixing something new that's messed up anyway.

Here's one for you, a few years back I had to have outpatient nasal surgery,went to hospital, was all prepped for surgery, and sat and waited and waited and waited. Come to find out the people at the Drs. office had not filed for my pre-cert and the hospital would not let the surgery go until they had it. I waited about 5 hours for the mess to get straightened out, talk about P-ssed,
The insurance company wanted them to cxl surgery because the pre-cert was not applied for at the right time. Someone from high up for the hospital finally got it approved. That was a real goody.
 
Sandy,
All the best to you for an uneventful pre surgery, surgery and post surgery experience.
Insurance co's, can't live with them, can't live without them.
 
Thanks for all your support, insurance is indeed a necessary evil, but what and evil!!!
As for my continuing saga, I got the last of the 3 shots to my nerve root at L5S1, and though the pain has stopped running down my leg, I am still having issues in thebuttocks and riight hip and I am still on pain meds.

The pain management Dr. explicitly told me NOT to try to decrease them until HE tells me to, so I'll put the OS in touch with him, and they can battle it out without me being in the middle of it.

I'm starting to try to get my space ready, but having great difficulty.

With the back issue AND the nasty knee. (We have been livingin this room since last June and clutter abounds). I am painfully and slowly trying to get some of it out.

My dear husband, always available to help, has not shown any interest in cleaning out this area (by my rules anyway).
If we did it HIS way, everything would be dumped into a big plastic garbage bag, and be brought upstairs to our new bedroom ( we surrended the 3rd floor bedroom suite with a HUGE walk-in closet to the kids).
I feel like we are moving again!!!
This time, I know what I need and want to get it ready by my surgery next month., causing me to stress that it won't be ready when I get home from rehab.
Yes, I plan on going to a rehab facility for as long as they will allow.

This 1st time I was dead set against it, but I don't want to have a repeat of the last time. The only bathroom on the 1st floor is across the house (a big house), and I often could'nt make it.... I hated the commode.
So rehab it is. I don't want a roommate in the hospital OR the rehab, but need to re-think it, as who know what my insurance (or lack there-of) will do.
Anybody have a view on roommate or no roommate???
Last roommate I had was in college, 30 years ago.
Enough venting, off to get some big plastic bins.
Thanks for listening, but I'm a wreck. Mostly because I know what is coming.

Sandy
 
Trainreck, How are you doing? sounds like you have been under stress. wouldn't it be great if we could just wave a wond and everything would fall in place? I to have had some hassel but remember it comes with life. Without it we wouldn't enjoy the peaceful times in life. However is a pain. Now that it sounds all is well, you can get on with recovery and enjoy the peace and quiet. I have had one hip done and next year problly another new knee. Isn't it great that we get to get the rewards for the advancement of medicane? Do take care. :doggieshmooze::yay::dancy:
 
Mom is in rehab now, she likes her room mate, good company. :friends:Helps that the rooms are set up to maximize privacy.
I am sure everything else will fall in place before your surgery.
 
Hang tough Sandy, it sounds like you have your hands full in every way. Hopefully your insurance will allow the private room, but if not, thankfully it will only be a short duration. Just remember you can only do one thing at a time, so do what you can and pace yourself.

Take care and we are here for you!

Dawn
 
Needless to say, I lost it and went into catastrophe mode, lying on the living room floor and crying my eyes out.
To complete the scene, there was a dirty sock nearby which I used to wipe my face and blow my nose into...can you tell I freaked out???
Finally my older daughter brought me a CLEAN sock....We really do have tissues and paper towels, but it was easier to grab a clean sock from a nearby pile....Sandy


I'm a sleeve girl myself. :thumb::rolleyespink:
 
Sandy
I have always requested a private room but it is not always possible. You should ask the price difference between a private room vs not. Last time I had surgery the hospital had a separate wing for knee and hip surgeries and all private rooms. The hospital didn't want any infectious patients on the same floor with the post surgical hip/knees. I have never stayed in rehab but have had 8 hospital stays (all of my jaw surgeries were 2-3 nights in the hospital). I did not have good experiences with having roommates. I always requested a private room but if the hospital is full sometimes they can't give you one. Make sure to check your bill if you request a private room and don't get one -- I was charged for a private room when I didn't have one.
I really hope things start coming together for you. It must be incredibly stressful getting ready for this surgery. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome.:friends:
Greda
 
Sandy...I have to admit I'm a "private room" gal. Although sometimes I've been forced to have a roommate for a short time, I always prefer to have the room (and especially the bathroom) to myself. I'd go for that if you can get it.
 
Thanks everyone:
Not sure about the roommate still, but Hubbie has one of those noise cancelling earphones that I can hopefully plug my IPOD into.

One issue with me is that I am hard wired to take care of people, and I am afraid I'll be trying to take care of my roommate, new knee and all.

On Friday the Pre-op info came in the mail. That confirmed my reality:
I am getting a new knee Feb 29th.
Between the visit with the pre-op nurse, labs and donation of a unit of blood, I'm spending the whole day there.
In addition, I need a Pain Management consult as my OS has never even heard of Opana.
I'm frightened because I had horrid pain control during my last TKR stay (amongst other things). I don't want a repeat. I'm afraid the nurses will not medicate me enough because I'm already am on high doses of Opiates and am "tolerant" of narcotics.

I wasn't on these the 1st time, and was still under-medicated !!!!

I just hope my experience at the new place is better.

I've eaten in their cafeteria and the food there is good. That doesn't always correllate with what the patients get, but at least I can send my hubbie there in case I get pig slop for dinner:th_heehee:!!!

Sandy
 
Sandy, I sure understand your concerns. I like the approach of talking to anyone and everyone starting now about them and then having hubby around to make sure things go right for you. He can also "hog tie" you if you start exhibiting that "caring gene" that would have you helping out a roomie:th_heehee:....maybe blinders are in order in addition to the headphones :hysterical:.

Just messin' with you.....

I'm thankful that the time is drawing near for you to get some resolution to all this. You're in my prayers and I hope this IS the turning point.
 
Trainwreck, i'm not sure where you are in your process as i am having trouble following the dates on the threads. But, I am 2 weeks out from my LTKR and 10 weeks out from the RTKR. I learned a lot from the first go round and one was to take charge of your pain control. You know your body better than anyone in that hospital. We sat in my OS's office and literally wrote my post op orders to suite my needs. That included a stool softener and bendryle since the dilaudid made me itch. I used a pain medication by mouth on a 4 hour round the clock, and only had to push the PCA a very few times. You just have to fight for what you know your body needs, otherwise they will put you in the same protocol as any other patient there. Believe it or not most Dr.'s like it when a patient is informed, and if they don't, switch dr's.
Good luck
Jen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom