Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Now what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAndy,

Right there with you on the surgeon that won't listen to you. When I had my rotator cuff repaired I told them I was allrgic to plastic, but what do I know, they used a PLA anchor and I had a very bad reaction to it. OS went back in and had to remove it and fix everything in there that was a mess. (by the way he did this second surgery at NO CHARGE, wonder why). Just a little side comment this is the OS that did my TKR and you wouldn;t believe all he went thru to be sure that everything was done right the first time on this one. We now have a really good relationship because he now listens to what I have to say and realizes it is right. We do have a standing joke with my knee everytime I go to see him the first question he has is "are you spitting out any plastic yet"
 
Next week is THE WEEK. I have appointments on Thursday AND Friday. Different institutions.
Once they boot me out, I'll likely head to Hospital fo Special Surgery in NY and begin the process again. One would think tha in amedical mecca like Boston, I'd find a Doctor who doesn't jump to conclusions from my (normal) X-rays. I'm so suspect of them I don't think they will consider the CT scan.

My husband thinks that Docs are not interested in revisions because they take longer in the OR and they can make more money from just doing straight TKR's. They could likely do 2 TKRs for every 1 revision...

I know that MGH has agreat reputation, but I was treated so poorly by one of the revision surgeons I will not go there. Yup, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

All in all, I am getting AHEAD of my self (as usual). I'll just have to wait till next Thursday to see what goes.
Later this morning I'll talk to my Pain guy (I have a Facet injection) and pick his brain.

Thanks for listening.
Sandy
 
Sandy,
Have you consulted a physiatrist (not psychiatrist)? They are more big picture (not just nerves or bones). I went to one when I was having hip problems at NYU Rusk Institute. They do have physiatrists at HSS in NY - I would make sure your have one on your team.
 
Hi Kneedy:

I do have a Psyiatrist (AND a Psychiatrist, BTW) on my team. I went through some Prolotherapy to strengthen my lax ligaments, did not work.
Will be returning after the holidays to the brace clinic to (hopefully) fit me a brace I can walk with without having my knee bang about, which is painful.

Had my Facet injection yesterday and so far, back seems a bit better. Slow but forward progress. I'll take it.
Thursday and Friday I have 2 more surgical consults, re: my loose and painful knee.
I fully expect to be kicked to the curb as I have been 5 times so far.
 
I agree......I hope this time will be the one you've been waiting for, Sandy. You know we are all behind you 100%!!!!
 
Good luck this week! I know how hard it is to go through this again and again. Keep us posted.
Greda
 
Well, I went to a REAL OS yesterday. This was the guy I went to for a second opinion before I went to the Dr. who did my TKR (big mistake as you all know by now)
When I was called in, he had already looked at all my films, CT, and Bone scan results (I had the bone scan for my back but my knee showed alot of activiity)
Then he LISTENED to my story (even comforted me when I broke into tears when I got to the part when my OS told me I shouldn't have had it done) His comment???"Then why did he do it"!!! (I questioned it myself)
Then, get this guys...He EXAMINED MY KNEE. TWICE!!!!!

He aspitated some gooy bloody pus like fluid, and injected some local into my knee as a test (I had been asking for someone to do this over a year).

On close inspection on Xray, he saw an area that there was supposed to see cement, and saw none. He als says something is 'odd' about my patella.

Set me up for another bone scan, this time concentrated on the knee, and told me to call for results.

The local made me PAIN FREE (except my back) for 3 hours, when I felt almost normal (for me anyway):th_heehee:

He then made a comment in case of revision, I would need to drop some of my pain meds, though they have a Pain management team, I sensed some doubt on their effectiveness. (My pain guy dosen't go to this hospital).

Well. I'm not going to sweat the pain control UNLESS I do need a revision. But at least we are moving in some direction!!!

Bone scan is next week I'll post progress (if any)
Sandy
 
Oh yeah, he asked me to show him my ROM and he said it is VERY ABNORMAL to be able to do the things I can do with my knee.

He feels that any OS knows that too much ROM is a sign something is WRONG!!!, and is suprised not one of the previous docs had picked it up!

So much for the twisty yoga poses.
 
Sandy-
I feel for you as I have been in similar shoes. It is so hard to get someone to listen sometimes, and when they do, it's pretty amazing.

Hopefully the bone scan will show something that can start the process to answers. I am sorry it has taken as long as it has.
 
I'm so glad you seem to have found an OS who knows his stuff. :console:
 
Sigh of relief from me, sounds hopeful. Glad you found someone who would listen and move things forward.
 
Sandy,

Great news for you that someone finally listened and acted on what you have been saying all along. I am so happy for you, and hope there will finally be a happy ending to this mess. I am sure just finding this OS has taken a lot of stress off of you at least for a little while.
 
Sandy.....this is so promising!!! God bless this surgeon for having the good sense to really address your problems. I hope this is finally what you've been waiting for.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom