Revision TKR Now what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sandy,

I've been following your thread and wishing you well.

I do know what the apprehension before surgery feels like - I had a Revision in December and I was really scared beforehand. But it all turned out not to be nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be.

It's easy to get down and mentally low, but try to keep telling yourself that this time things will go better for you. I'm sure they will!

Best wishes,

Celle

Thanks everyone, for the boost.
You have no idea how much that means to me.

It is very easy to be poor pityful me (the Ice Fest, where I have been a regular for the last 10 or so years, was this weekend, and I was in too much pain for the 4 hr. trip to northern NH), but I am trying to avoid that pitfall.

I am not worried about the surgery per se, just the recovery.
I have decided not to worry about my pain control.
I'll let the Pain Management team do that. I am getting another nerve root block on Friday, and I already have an appointment with my PM Dr. about 10 days post op (should be on crutches then)...I hope!
I am smarter now.
I went through avery vigorous PT program. Never again.
his time I'll be adamant about the amount and intensity of anything I do.

Different Doc, hospital, and a different PT, in a first class Rehab facility (all outpatient, and it is a 20 minute drive north IF we don't get into rush hour).

Today we went out and bought a recliner for me to use. This one reclines almost completely and the legs lift high enough to keep my toes above my nose!!!
With the combo of the rotten knee (I am in a wheelchair whenever we are out. Hurts too much to walk) and the back issue, I have trouble getting comfortable, so I hope this gives me some respite, and I won't be in bed when people come over (if I decide to have company).

So the thing I'm grappling over now
One thing that Jo or any other person who has spent time in the operating room. The staff can make....well, mean comments about the patient while the patient is asleep..I want to be AWAKE!!!!, but I dont want to hear the saw and the jig, and whatever other things they maim you with, so then I should be ASLEEP!
I'd prefer to be drunk.
Thank you all for bearing with my mundane posts.
I appreciate your support.
I'll keep the title, but start a new one for my recovery.\
Sandy

Sandy I wish you well, you've been through so much! You have a great attitude going in about your surgery, recovery, PT. I guess experience really does help. I am glad that you found a great recliner, you are preparing so well, knowing really what to expect post surgery. Take care, we will all be thinking of you and sending prayers your way. (((Sandy))) :friends:

Sandy,

Hang in there, you're almost at the finish line now. We are all here with uspport and encouragement. Only good wishes and prayers going your way.

Don't worry about the pain control you know to just keep on everyone concerned and it will be okay.

Sandy, you do not want to be awake during the procedure! Too much noise! Let them get you nice and relax and in that comfy sleep. Who cares what they say. You'll be fine!

Sandy - I am totally opiod tolerant and have had a million surgery's - it was the single most terrifying thing for me this past surgery - i can relate!!! let me know if you ever want to talk - i have a mixed bag of experience w/ it - it wasn't great to be honest but it wasn't un-tolerable - i think it all depends on how good of a pain mgt dr you have and how much they are willing to dose you - after my spinal fusion they had me on 4 - 5 mg and HOUR of dilaudid so that's mostly what made me tolerant to meds and no pain mgt since then had the gumption to put me on that kind of regimin again - i can ever give you my number if you want to talk - xoxo, Linda

Best of luck to you Sandy. I have done both the awake and put to sleep. In a way I prefer the awake as I was aware of what was going on and who was there. But the sleep and wake when it was over I felt much better pain wise. Since you have a pain issue I think you are much better with the sleep it through. Maybe others that have had both can comment on their pain difference but mine was obvious.

Sandy,
I had been off a few days and am getting caught up. I am opioid tolerant. The main thing is that your team knows and you should ask them what is in your chart for pain control. I also make sure when I check in at the hospital to have a list of current meds and doses. Sometimes the nurses don't realize you need to stay on current meds and add the new meds for surgical pain. I had my surgeon tell me exactly what meds were in my chart so if I was in pain I could tell the nurse that my OS said I could try this as well. I am always awake quickly after surgery and don't really sleep well in the hospital, but if you are out of it have someone there that can speak for you.
Everyone reacts differently to different meds so what works for me may not work for you. I am always a nervous wreck before surgery. What you are feeling is normal...you have been through so much, but you have a great team and we are all here for you.
Take care,
Greda

So the thing I'm grappling over now,
one thing that Jo or any other person who has spent time in the operating room. The staff can make....well, mean comments about the patient while the patient is asleep.
Well, obviously I can't speak for US theatres but one thing I can say, hand on heart, is that I have never heard anyone, of any rank, say anything derogatory or mean about the patient on the table. Not ever!

(They're usually too busy making disparaging comments about senior members of staff! :th_heehee:)
Today we went out and bought a recliner for me to use. This one reclines almost completely and the legs lift high enough to keep my toes above my nose!!!
:yes 4: You will be very comfortable in that, my dear! Excellent choice!

Well, I had my pre-ops on Wednesday, and things couldn't be any more different than the pre-op at the old place.
What a quality place!!!

I was a wreck.

They called my name at the exact time of my appointment, I had a full, complete physical exam by a very caring NP.

Then I met, the EKG tech, the blood sucker tech, a Physical Therapist, and most interesting of all, a Psychologist whose job is to see that I get the meds I need when I need them!!!

Then to the blood bank to donate a unit of blood.

I am still very worried about pain control, but my Pain Management Dr. told me to take my doses not as needed, but by the clock while I am in the hospital.

They do not have Opana ER or Oxymorphone in the hospital, so they told me to bring it with me and it will go to the pharmacy to be counted and then given to me when I need it.

This makes me feel slightly better.

Then , the Dr. ORDERED for me to have a private room, and he will have the staff put another bed in there so my husband can be there with me and therefore advocate for me.
With his order, the private room is free!!!!

I've decided to do whatever Anesthesia wants me to do as far as being asleep or awake. I'll probably go to sleep. I have always had a fear of anesthesia, so I have always had regional blocks.

I had a stress test yesterday ( I didn't have to run, they gave me a drug to make my heart stressed- it was awful, but I passed), and then went straight for my last shot before my surgery.

My Pain Doc wants a daily e-mail while in the hospital.
I do feel better that on several levels, my pain will be managed well. (my Pain Doc is not affiliated with the hospital, but he know the Pain Docs there).

I am still nervous, but I feel better that my husband will stay with me. If he needs a break, my older daughter will be on spring break and she can be with me.

I can't believe how NEEDY I have become!!!!:sigh:

By the way, my OS doesn't start outpatient PT until 4 weeks post op.
During that time, I will get home PT, and it is very gentle.
In the hospital, they have a pully that attaches to my leg so I can do some gentle leg movements.
They only want me to be able to get up the 5 steps I need to get into my house. they promised me they don't push ROM.

Then it is in the pool once cleared by my OS. (I hate water)....
After gaining almost 20 lbs at rest the last 7 months, I am NOT looking forward to be in a bathing suit....:hate-shocked:
Enough blabbing for now.
Thanks for listening,
Sandy

Sandy,
This doctor and this facility sound fantastic! So glad that the pre-op went well and you are feeling reassured about it all. Having a private room makes a huge difference--and having your husband there to be your advocate will allow you to relax and heal and not worry about anything. Thinking of you!
Niki

Sandy--I'm so happy to read how well everything went at the pre-op. Had to laugh at "blood sucker tech" :th_heehee: Very apt.

Sandy, sounds like you have it all under control. You have gotten through all the preliminary stuff with flying colors. :thumb:

Two years is a long time to have to wait to get that knee in shape. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you all the positive vibes I possibly can for a great recovery. :wubroses:

Sandy, I do not like the water either.:hissyfit: However, I found that my knee responds really well to the pool walking and stretching. I now do two days a week in the pool. And it helps keep my knee really fluid and it feels great! If you can hold onto a foam noodle and do bicycle motions in the deeper water, your knee will like it, honest! :wink1:

Sandy,

Great to hear the pre-op went so well. Also sounds like your pain should be pretty well controlled in hospital with taking your own meds with you. The private room with space for your husband to be there should help ease your mind over a lot of things. Hang in, it won't be long now until it is over.

I am still very worried about pain control, but my Pain Management Dr. told me to take my doses not as needed, but by the clock while I am in the hospital.
Hmmmm :scratch: now I wonder where I have heard that before?:snork:

That's fantastic, Sandy. About time you got some top quality care and attention!

Sandy, it sounds like you have found the right surgeon and setting. Just the forethought that this team is taking should be a good indicator of what you can expect. I love that there will be a place for your spouse to stay over, this is excellent. I had a private room with a nice sitting area where my husband took several naps while napped as well. It was a huge comfort to be accommodated in that way.

I wish well and look forward to reading your updates.

Best,

Dawn

Sandy, what a joy it was to read your latest post and find you are in the hands of truly caring professionals!!! Thank goodness. I love the part about your doctor ORDERING a private room.....:yes 4:!!!!

Things are definitely looking good....

Yes,
I am in 'good' shape to have this revision.
I have just been through an AWFUL
2 years, being treated horribly by my own colleagues!!!
I'm trying to just let that feeling go, and look to the future, and not the past, but I'm still mad that things had to go this far.

Meanwhile, I still have a gnawing pain in the pit of my stomach about going through this all again.
I just hope for a better outcome.
Thanks for all the support. Keep it coming because it means alot to me.
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kneequery
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom