Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple of things that can be said about the merchant (patella view). The actual patella button was medialized abit which is very normal and typical for placement. The button seems to be located centrally (correctly) in the groove. The mottled appearance to the patella is not unusual. BTW, based on these non-diagnostic images, the tibial and femoral components appear to be aligned well.

Orthodoc
 
@kneesrus......uh-oh.....something happened and I didn't get those exercises!!! Can you resend them to me please????
 
I know I am late but Happy Birthday and many more. Its so good to see things going right. I am so glad that you are singing. Take care. Tashia
 
@Orthodoc a big thank you. Your advice has helped me see things more clearly, made me more certain its all down to femoral nerve damage, and allows me to start planning my left knee replacement for which I'll avoid the femoral block as suggested by my OS at our November consultation. I still plan to see a physio to see if she can help get the right quads stronger and help me prepare the left for surgery. The physio that treated me after my TKR is expecting a baby in two months, so I'm going back to the one I used to see before she had twins 5 years ago. She successfully treated me for chronic shoulder and neck pain that about five other physios hadn't been able to resolve.

@tashia thanks - hard to believe two years has passed. I'm obviously still not at the stage that I go through the day without thinking about my knee, but with the quad issue I don't think I ever will be, unless physio can work her magic on my knee as she did on my shoulder.
 
@Jamie @kneesrus - the file uploader for the PM system has a bug. Josephine told me when I was trying to PM my XRays to her.
 
@Jamie I did wonder if that was the case when I wrote about the Pm system. I saw the new exercises David put into the Bonesmarties Club and have incorporated some of them in with some of my old ones. I see the new physio (who is my old one from 5 years ago) on Friday morning. So I started doing them three days ago and have been doing both legs and the interesting thing is the quads on the non-tkr knee are hurting, the hurt that says you've been exercising. The RTKR quads don't hurt - weird or what!
 
Today I spent over an hour with the physio that I used to see five years ago that corrected my shoulder and neck problems that five other physios hadn't been able to resolve. We went through the past few years of history and reviewed the EMG and nerve conduction report. She explained to me what happens with femoral nerve damage that I have and called it axonal degeneration. I'd read that it can take a year or so to recover but apparently that's only the start of the recovery as the regeneration fibres then take a long time to start up. She said it can be as slow as 1mm a week and looking at the distance from the groin to the knee of around 400mm so go do the math! For the VMO quad to work properly it doesn't need all the length regenerated. I don't think I've explained it very well. She drew a picture for me.

She used an electrical stimulation machine and she said that at 35 whatevers using it above the knee the lower leg will jump up. With me it was set at the max of 99 and the VMO was activated but nothing in the lower leg. Her diagnosis is that the damage isn't permanent.

So its lots and lots of quad sets and short arc quads with foot turned out 15degrees. I've always had pain to the inside of the patella when I've done these. She said that's because the patella is being pulled sideways and so lifting out of the grove and so pressing where it shouldn't be, hence the pain. Apparently as he fibres regenerate by doing these particularly exercises they will be made to work asap that they are able. And once they work and the VMO is stronger the pain when I climb hills and stairs will go away.

When I go walking I'm to take 3 minutes every so often and slow right down, walk very precisely making sure everything is in line, hips facing forward, knee above second toe and make sure I try to control the point at which I lose control in each step. She said climbing hills right now won't be overly beneficial until the VMO is stronger.

I feel I now have direction again.

And she picked up that with my non TKR knee the VMO is shutting down because of the pain that I now have in that knee so I'm to do the exercises on both.

That's all folks!
 
Wow, that was a productive session! It sounds as if that physio knows what she is talking about. Even if it takes a while, if she is correct, it offers the chance of improvement. That's good! :)
 
WHOA.... I went hiking yesterday into the back country. It took 5.75 hours and was around 16 kilometres (10 miles). Track information said it would take 5-6 hours. The last time I did that length would have been 8 years ago. My knees went up and down the hills easily except the left non TKR would complain going down a little bit. It was my feet that just ached and my general lack of fitness didn't help either. I had to cross about four reasonably fast running streams and then I was scared in case my quad gave way and I fell into the stream.

The place we went was called the Lake Rere Loop Walk which includes a portion of the well know Greenstone track and walks through the Greenstone and Caples valleys. Hubbie had done the walk around 6 years ago and thought I'd manage easily but it turns out they've re-routed a couple of hours of the Greenstone track up into the mountains onto a boulder ridden narrow track rather than down along the river along a leafy even trail so now its much harder, but I managed. I have to say I was looking forward to seeing the carpark at the end.

I had a bag of Glucose Jelly Beans and if I felt I was losing energy, I munched on a couple of those and then took off again.

Here's one photo but I'll post more on the Social Room Hiking photos thread.
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
Hi Margaret, wow! That sounds like quite a challenging hike! I'm not sure I'd be up to it myself. I think my knees would be ok but not sure about the rest of me LOL. Good for you!!!
 
In post 624 above I said I was going to see a physio I used to see 5 years ago and said: "Its hard to believe two years has passed. I'm obviously still not at the stage that I go through the day without thinking about my knee, but with the quad issue I don't think I ever will be, unless physio can work her magic on my knee as she did on my shoulder.

I've now seen her 5 times and she's worked with massage on the back of my leg and the front all around the quads, kneecap and patella tendon. She needed to work hard on them as three weeks ago I walked into a tree stump with my foot of my TKR leg which put the hamstrings into knots. Today she used acupunture for the first time to try to loosen the muscles which are tight and what she called "to open the channels".

Tonight for the first time in over two years I walked up a hill with NO PAIN under the kneecap.
:yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
....SHE IS WORKING HER MAGIC..... probably partly her skill and partly the femoral nerve regenerating. I'm walking around saying to myself WOW, this is how its meant to feel.

To all of my fellow Bonesmarties and all of you struggling with ROM, pain and are in the first year of recovery, take it from one who knows, improvements can be gained for not just months but years!
 
Great result Margaret. Not sure my general fitness is good enough for all that hiking, never mind the tkr.
Well done you. x
 
I am so happy to hear about this. I have skied all winter with no thought at all about my knees---but 10 days of solid walking on pavements in Chicago has reminded me that my knees are not real!! I am going to yoga more as I age and I can see that it helps to keep my muscles more fluid. We just keep on, keeping on!
 
@Campervan Margaret this is such wonderful news. I am so happy for you!! You give all of us such great hope that we can keep improving as time passes by, you are a shining example of that!!!
 
@Campervan - Great report and what a beautiful place to hike. I loved what you said about nerve regeneration, as I'm at one year post TKR and I've been getting those little pinging pains that have felt like nerve regeneration. Your post confirms what my OS and many Bonesmarties have told me, that it will continue to get better for 2-5 years, and I'm finding the more I exercise the better it gets, and what a model you are setting for that!!!
 
Great report, we can keep moving forward no matter how long ago we had our TKR.:yay:
 
Wow! You are doing fantastically - this is such a positive message and gives me hope that things can improve.
I'm nearly 7m and although things are so much better than they were pre TKR I'm still hoping and wanting more.
I long to walk greater distances than I am but my knee/leg/body seems to stop me around a mile.
I have looked for the exercises that David had posted but I can't find them anywhere. Can you tell i'm desperate... Perhaps this will be my salvation!
Any tips from you - the expert- would be so appreciated.
Since I have returned to work i am struggling to fit in many exercises but have returned to using my exercise bike (about 4k) and I also have been trying to go for a little walk each evening - depending on the weather. How did you progress to such an impressive distance?
I also know I need to loose weight and wonder if this is hindering my progress as not only are my knees getting stiff but my ankle and hips hurt too! I so want to 'play' like normal people...
Any suggestions @Campervan @Jamie @kneesrus @ANYONE....
Thank you in anticipation
Speedy2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom