Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had one drive to Invercargill at 6 months post op and we drove non-stop for two hours. I didn't drive so I could move my leg around but even so I was stiff when I got out of the car. I've only been to New Plymouth once and felt its right out on a limb on its own and would take forever to get anywhere.
 
My ultrasound to look at my quads because of the extensor lag is not until next week. Surgeon's instructions are to see "if there was any disruption to the medial parapetellar approach". I hate waiting and not knowing. I'm not sure if I want it to show something or not. As my physio said when I said this to her - it will be what it will be.

Quads are now responding to Electrical Stimulation. So I took a chance and ordered a $24 cheapie Tens EMS device from TradeMe (New Zealand equivalent to Ebay) as it was that or one for $200. Sounded too cheap but guess what - it works! I wonder how long it'll last......
 
Margaret - I hope this contraption helps -I hope something helps, already !!

Waiting is the hardest part..whatever the ultrasound shows hopefully will lead to a solution so you can get on with your life . Please keep us updated...
 
Hey .... Is THIS where all the Kiwis are hanging out??? Kia Ora Mates.

Yes. there's Margaret and me - and now you. Giddday, Mate!
I'm in New Plymouth. Where are you?
 
I'm in Christchurch....holding on to whatever doesnt wobble! Thought about giving my OS some roller skates pre-op so if we had an aftershock he could keep up with me as I wobbed across the theatre, but no need in the end. Looks like you are well ahead of me.....I'm 5 weeks post.
 
Morning from Queenstown. So I'm closer to you in Christchurch that Celle in New Plymouth. Good to have you onboard Maggie-Lee.
 
Hi Margaret.....beautiful beautiful Q-town, you lucky dog. What a great place. You look also to be way ahead of me. Thanks for the welcome.
 
You'll get there, Maggie-Lee - all it takes is time!

I've been reading your thread - all you people continuing in Christchurch deserve a medal for stamina!! :thankyou:
 
Greetings from Queenstown New Zealand
from Margaret (Campervan) and Diane (Diney)
Two Bonesmart girls from opposite sides of the World get together in Queenstown. We had a wonderful day. Went everywhere and talked about all sorts of stuff - including knees of course!
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
 
Wonderful picture. Know the two of you had a great time! So jealous!!!!
 
Hi Margaret
I had just finished my post here when my wi fi ran out and it disappeared! Just to say I put a post on your Queenstown thread but will repeat here what a great time I had. And thanks again for being such a lovely host.
I arrived in Christchurch tonight in lots of rain and am going on the trans alpine train tomorrow.
 
Hi Diane, by now you'll be back from the wonderful trans-alpine train trip. I've only driven through Arthurs Pass and its wonderful.
Enjoy the rest of your trip, and the whalewatching in the next day or so. Diney;
 
Had ultrasound this morning and sonographer said all the quad tendons are intact. So no cause there for the extensor lag. So now we wait for the formal report but I'm sure its going to show nothing that tells us why I still have extensor/quad lag.
 
Glad to hear your tendon is intact, just wish they had some answers for you.
Thanks for posting the photo of your day with Diane, great fun.
 
Had ultrasound this morning and sonographer said all the quad tendons are intact. So no cause there for the extensor lag. So now we wait for the formal report but I'm sure its going to show nothing that tells us why I still have extensor/quad lag.

That's good news, Margaret. No damage done, then.

I guess, though, that you were hoping for something to show up that explained the quad lag. But it seems it will just have to be patience, more patience, and still more patience! Hugs! :friends:
 
Thanks ladies. I wasn't sure whether I wanted ultrasound to show up anything. If it had would probably have meant more surgery. If nothing, then likely explanation is damage from femoral nerve block, which has been OS thought from early on, and can take a year to come right. In rare instances it can be permanent.

Sonographer did say that the ultrasound wouldn't show if the ligaments or whatever were catching on the implant. Whatever it is causing the extensor lag has been there from immediately after surgery, so that rules out scar tissue or adhesions.

I did get a CD of the images and have mailed it to my OS. He's very particular on this and when my husband had a shoulder ultrasound done by the same organisation our OS found something on the images that the radiologist had missed. He said it had been "under reported". So I'll wait for all clear from OS before I totally believe nothing has shown up - gut feel is its shown nothing. So maybe I'm not staring down the barrell of having EMG and nerve function tests but surgeon has already said he won't organise those until one year post op.
 
I wish you had a more complete answer, but I'm glad the tendon is ok.
 
Margaret, what a pain, so much uncertainty. Although, more and more it does seem like the femoral nerve block caused the problem. given my problems with adhesions, I am so glad that I did not have one--I have enough problems.

Margaret, I have a pretty good e-stim unit that I don't use much. If yours goes out, let me know, you can have mine. it will be less than $200 to ship. Kelly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom