Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margaret, you're right ! I've not been stretching like I used to now that I am walking better and going to the gym, but I have same as you. starting to hurt going down stairs and not bending so easily...thanks for the reminder!
 
At last things are on the move - I've just been to physio. Measured ROM at 112 when I got there and then 115 after massage and work on the retrainer.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage
ALWAYS KNEW YOU'D MAKE IT! CONGRATS!
 
Oh yes, from 6 months onwards things have really been improving.

Today I walked 6kms. A little stiff afterwards, but nothing that my wheat pack couldn't fix.
 
great news, Margaret! I can walk well, but has started to hurt right behind kneecap when i go up and down stairs just this last week. It is soo aggravating as I had been doing fine.
I don't know if i have done too much at the gym....any suggestions anyone?
 
Hi Nancy, take a look at my page 19, post #380. May help you.
 
Thanks Margaret. Have massage booked for Wed so will mention it when I go and try stretching meantime. Might go easy on the leg press machine till then
 
My massage is by a physio has been consisting of massage front of knee and up through the quads, the back of knee particularly hamstrings. Then I get heat around the entire knee for 10 minutes. Then use the reformer. I could be wrong but there's one leg press machine that isn't good after TKR. I'm sure David kneesrus; wrote about it
 
The activity of going up and down stairs is one of my graduation exercises. There have been several post about "anyone seen my quads?" The quads take you up the stairs and down the stairs. The control the tracking of the knee cap. Sometimes the pain is caused my overuse. In the gym, you could benefit from doing leg presses. This is a better exercise than sitting on a table and wrapping weights around your ankle. You have more control with your foot fixed on a push plate.
As always, if it hurts, don't do it. Let the tissue settle down.
Hope this helps,
David
 
Thanks, David. I have Been doing leg presses but with very light weight ( a beginner). Also hooking ankles round bar and raising weights, again very light, and pulling bar down . I think the pain behind kneecap on stairs started after I tried to be smart and do the exercises just with tkr leg. Cycling and treadmill doesn't cause pain. I am due for assessment at gym in 10 days so will take it easy till then. She did say if it hurts don't do it.
 
In the words of Mama Cass in California Dreamin' ........ "... got down on my knees....".

Yes at 7 months I can kneel. Felt a bit padded but no pain. :yes!::yes!::yes!:
 
A strange feeling---but just great to know you CAN do it! [Bonesmart.org] Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage Another milestone for your record book!
 
Those of you that have been with me over the past seven months will know that I've had extensor lag from immediately after the surgery. I've been doing all the right exercises, with some improvement. Yesterday the physio measured the lag still at 30degrees. Over the months we've tried elect stimulation and I'd feel the tingling but the quads just stayed dead. Yesterday we tried again and WOW the lazy quad tensed. Didn't do it every time the stimulation was active but it maybe every 2nd or 3rd.

Physio is wondering if something hasn't reattached properly after surgery. I go back to see her in a couple of days and then we'll decide if (a) she's going to phone my surgeon to discuss on my behalf and/or (b) have ultrasound as she and another physio both feel this might showup something.

In the meantime, no exercises except quad sets and riding my bike and walking.

Any comments gratefully received, particularly from Josephine and Orthodoc as to whether it could be a surgery related issue. Josephine; Orthodoc; There was some thought in the past about femoral nerve damage and I have great info above somewhere from Orthodoc.
 
Oh Margaret, I hope you get sorted out without mor surgery. You have been so patient ..just a bit longer.
But it sounds like something was beginning to happen.
Thinking of you, I hope you get an answer soon
 
Margaret - You and I have been on a long journey together. Maybe last December was somehow not the best time for this surgery :groan: I'm getting closer to answers and hope you will soon get some clarity and a proper fix...I'll check back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom