TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is 6 MONTH anniversary. I've been a "slow recoverer" and still struggle with a few things. Having said that, I do NOT regret having this surgery.
 
Good for you. I feel the same way especially about my right leg which I forget is also a fake one. K
 
Ok I did what I said I was going to do and went to the pool this afternoon. I swam 10 x 25 metre lengths. Tried with swimming flippers but my knee didn't like those. But without them I did the 10 lengths comfortably. The I walked along the lazy river against the flow, walked for about 10 minutes in the warm leisure pool and did a few squats. Then into the hotpool and some stretches in there.

I felt really good when I left the pool and so off to the grocery store. Oh boy, my knee decided it wasn't at all happy. Pain below the knee when weightbearing. So here I am icing and elevating. Hubbie cooking dinner. Also taken diclofenac 75SR to hopefully quickly settle things down.
 
Well done Margaret, you did well, but perhaps overdid the amount of work, the work in the pool was probably enough to start with and then the hot pool just to relax for a while.

Keep it up, I am sure it will be so good for you in the longer term, I know that aqua was the thing that got me through in the end. xx :friends:
 
margaret, has your doc ever suggested using an arthroscope to remove the scar tissue that is holding you up? Just curious. K
 
Water does make things feel better, doesn't it? Maybe you should have skipped the store. :)
 
six months. WOW I do,think you will, Remember everthing time even for us repeaters. Thrink to get all caught up so will talk later.:doggieshmooze:Tashia::friends:
 
Congratulations on your 6 month anniversary Margaret. I hope your knee is feeling better today, sounds as if you over did it a touch. Take care.
 
Thanks all.

Kelly, no we haven't even talked about scar tissue but I can feel the conversation coming.

No after effects from the work in the pool. All was normal by Friday. And also on Friday we drove over two hours to the nearest City, shopped for five hours, drove home. One lunch break in the middle for half an hour. Knee ached a bit below the knee in the afternoon. Didn't take any pain killers, just had a nice long sleep overnight and this morning I'm good.

And yes I got three lovely new winter jumpers. And a set of boring cooking pans and two office bookcases.
 
Well done, its amazing what a good shopping trip can do. Take care xx
 
Gosh, Margaret! 10 x 25 lengths!! I could n't even swim a length ,mind you, I couldn't before either. I can only swim breast stroke.
 
Hi Margaret
Your report sounds like it's all steady progress now especially when you take time to recover between big activities!
Good news!
 
Yes Margaret--did you read about Wehyam skiing in a dome? Gosh, I am so jealous, why don't we have a dome? We have four long months of summer and spring. Our cold weather comes back in October--and then we don't have good snow until Dec. I feel like it is forever before we ski again. I just hate summer---it seems like it will never end. Right now we have had three weeks of rain--it is so green, I feel like I live in a rainforest!! But, the weather is mostly about 60 degrees F, so everyone but me is complaining---. I can't play golf right now anyway, so I don't care if it rains. But, it would be nice if it snowed earlier this year!! Kel
 
We have something similar in Auckland, but of course thats 1000 miles away. Its not a dome, more a great big shed down the side of a hill. Never been myself but my nephew, wife and two year old have. I asked Sophie (2 year old) what it was like at the snow. Reply "cold" and she shivered! There coming to visit us in about a month so I wonder how she'll be with the cold here.
 
Margaret, I talked with my pt today about my VMO which is a part of the quads--the part above the medial side of your knee. There is a little dent where my muscle used to be. My pt told me that that is the muscle that controls that last bit of extension that you are struggling to get. so, leg lifts with your toe pointed to the side is one thing to work it.

the other is to use e-stym--electrical stimulation. I have a little unit that I use at home--it cost $50 US and I use it three times a day. I can see the muscle starting to contract today. He told me that the VMO is what lifts your leg off that coffee can/rugby ball. K
 
Thanks Kelly. I was doing them both straight up and with toes turned out, but I must admit lately I've forgotten about the turned out ones. So will start doing them again.
 
Went to physio today as yesterday I felt stiff and achy, wasn't walking well, struggled down inclines and stairs hurt. Turns out my hamstrings are tense. After a massage they feel much better. Also front, outer, upper thigh a muscle as tense so massaged that one as well . She also thinks I've developed a very small amount of scar tissue just in one spot (medial, lower part of scar) and feels with massage she can clear it. So instead of going every 3 weeks or so that I have been, I'm going every 3 or 4 days for a couple of weeks.

I also got told off for not pushing for more ROM. She (and rightly so) picked up that I'm doing the stretches and other exercises not even to point of discomfort and only to comfortable limits. She did stress only to point of discomfort, not pain. She agrees wholeheartedly with Bonesmart thinking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom