Beckford
member
I had a letter today from one of Prof H registrars. It’s quite technical but it reads as follows:
I have reviewed the imaging today with Jane. Her right hip replacement shows to be well fixed with nicely orientated components. Her recent MRI shows significant TFL hypertrophy. There is a pseudotumour exiting the hip posteriorly. The gluteal attachments appear to be intact. There is some atrophy of gluteus medius and minimums but not a florid fat infiltration to suggest a denervated muscle. She has wasting of the short external rotators consistent with previous posterior approaches. In the first instance I think she would benefit from specialist physio therapy to see if we can retrain the hip abductors in preference to TFL butbif pain is a barrier then I would consider a local anaesthetic and steroid injection to the trigger point between the ASIS and AIIS. We will discuss her case at the hip debris MDT meeting and see her back in four months.
Sorry this is long and boring but if anyone has had similar problems with their progress it would be good to know I am not on my own.
I have reviewed the imaging today with Jane. Her right hip replacement shows to be well fixed with nicely orientated components. Her recent MRI shows significant TFL hypertrophy. There is a pseudotumour exiting the hip posteriorly. The gluteal attachments appear to be intact. There is some atrophy of gluteus medius and minimums but not a florid fat infiltration to suggest a denervated muscle. She has wasting of the short external rotators consistent with previous posterior approaches. In the first instance I think she would benefit from specialist physio therapy to see if we can retrain the hip abductors in preference to TFL butbif pain is a barrier then I would consider a local anaesthetic and steroid injection to the trigger point between the ASIS and AIIS. We will discuss her case at the hip debris MDT meeting and see her back in four months.
Sorry this is long and boring but if anyone has had similar problems with their progress it would be good to know I am not on my own.
United Kingdom

Hi 
. (I've always found a heating pad more helpful than ice when that happens.) If you do try some very short walks, my advice would be to use whatever aid you need to do it without limping or hurting, and if you end up suffering a lot the next day it was too much too soon. This needs to be a slow and steady recovery.
You have more than your share of hip woes and I can only imagine how you muat be weary of the recovery time but I think helenium is right...you can put miles on your hip while using your cane until you are stronger.