Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Now Facing Left Hip Revision

Hi @Beckford
Please don't panic. I'm sorry you're in such a state. Try really hard to calm yourself.
I'm not sure what a normal CRP result is. Did they provide a range for reference along with the result?
If you do have an infection, your doctor take the necessary measures to resolve the issue.
I understand your anxiety, truly I do, but it's not really going to help anything. Please keep us posted.
Prayers for answers and for your peace of mind.
 
My doctor faxed the blood results to Prof Hart he didn’t suggest antibiotics and I am seeing him on Tuesday.
Also the swelling has slightly gone down. Pain is still there when I put weight on the leg , it’s in the groin and down the thigh but I am hoping that this will calm down as it’s still only just over a week since my surgery.
I wonder if revision surgery does take longer to recover from than primary hips, although the surgery itself was not too bad at all, in fact I would say it was less painful than when I had my first hip replacement.
 
CRP measures inflammation...from any source not just infection. Any condition ending in “itis” can cause a rise in CRP and ESR. A more diagnostic result (of infection) would be high CRP with a raised white cell count. Hoping the best for you.
 
Thank you for your advice, I guess if my swelling is bursitis that might raise my CRP levels. I don’t feel unwell just bored miserable and fed up. The days are so long and each morning I wake up in fear that I will never walk again and lead a normal life. I have still at least a month to go on crutches and I am losing my mind.
 
I don't have any experience with your situation, but will definitely add my support and sympathy for your situation.
Try not to project...think temporary and that you are apparently being seen about by the best.
Stress is terrible for our immune systems.
Try to watch some mindless TV or read..something to get your mind off of things a bit.
I know it's easier said than done but we are rooting for you!
 
I can honestly say @Beckford that I had little to no pain following the last two revisions. They were done by the surgeon who agreed to take over my case on a second opinion request. I took few to no pain pills. I had pain in the hospital following surgery but was completely gone when I was home. Maybe a twinge here and there especially in the groin. My pain was always in the groin area except when the cup began to fail. The first revision never felt right at all; I knew there was something wrong from the beginning. Each surgery was different from the others.

You are scrambling to make sense out of your situation by comparing your situation to the experience of others. You must stop doing that because there really is no comparison; each experience is unique to that person. It is only making you more and more upset.

But since you asked, I was never on crutches after the last 2 revisions. I was, of course when I was 50% weight bearing after the first. I was on a walker after the 2nd revision surgery which I gave up for the cane within a week or two at the most. But here's the thing. . .my poor hip/leg has been so traumatized that I am just now beginning to walk unassisted and that is going very slowly. My last revision with the infection scare was necessary because I was not healing properly. So you see, though we have had similar experiences they have been unique to each of us. I can tell you this, because it is a revision it makes no difference in terms of recovery. It is the surgery itself that makes the difference. Josephine may have a different opinion on that, I can only speak of my experience with 4 surgeries and 3 revisions.

I so wish you some relief from your trauma. I am relieved that you have contact with your doctor. I think when you get the results from the tests and there is a plan for treatment you will find some peace and release from the pain.
Continue to be strong and try hard to stay calm. Your body needs you to help in it's healing. I am watching you with great concern.
 
Hi Zinnia
Thank you for such a detailed reply. Just one point I don’t quite understand is how long it took you before you could walk unaided. I can manage quite well with one crutch but as you say very slowly and I am trying not to put too much weight through the leg I just do what feels comfortable.
Also I don’t understand why you had a third revision if the hip was not infected. Why was it not healing and if so I don’t see how you were pain free with a hip that wasn’t right. I am just trying to get the picture because it doesn’t seem to make sense. I am so glad that you finally got a hip that works well for you though and may it give you many pain free years.
 
From the photo you posted...ouch! I think you’re pain would be pretty nasty. I can’t believe that you haven’t been offered an injection into the bursa. Maybe too close to the op site and too soon after surgery but....my...that looks bad. You have every reason to feel concerned. I hope you find some help.
 
Also I don’t understand why you had a third revision if the hip was not infected. Why was it not healing and if so I don’t see how you were pain free with a hip that wasn’t right.
Beckford, there are many reasons to do a revision. More than you can imagine. So don't get frantic about not understanding this one!
I am seeing him on Tuesday.
Well you know what, your CRP isn't over the roof. It's just elevated. And Tuesday isn't that far away - just three days. Nothing catastrophic is going to happen between then and now. Calm down, Tuesday will soon be here.
 
Feeling calmer but the bulge is bigger than ever. I will have to be a patient patient and see what Tuesday brings.
It now doesn’t squelch any ideas why?
 
Hi @Beckford
I'm happy to hear you're feeling more relaxed.
Try to believe it doesn't have to be bad news that you receive. I know it's easier said than done.
Wish I had an answer but I am not qualified to address your question.
Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and good news on Tuesday.
 
It now doesn’t squelch any ideas why?
Could be because the fluid inside is what we call 'organised' or setting like a jelly. Or it is a bursa and some fluid has drained back where it's supposed to go.
 
Try not to panic, the crp will rise if you have bursitis, any inflammation anywhere in the body. I have in the past got very worried over my crp, but, in the longrun there is nothing you can do so i hope i have learnt to take it abit more in my stride!! mine at the moment post rthp after infection is between 11 and 30, so just try to go with it and let the consultants do their job, thinking of you xx
 
Hi @Beckford ....hope your consultant can put your mind at rest tomorrow....not knowing is the worst thing, it allows the imagination to go rampant :oyvey:I'm sure if there was anything seriously wrong you would have been contacted urgently.
 
Thank you so much , this forum is really helping me get through this very upsetting time. I will update after I see Professor Hart tomorrow
 
Saw my consultant today. He has advised that the swelling is fluid that has collected in a previous surgery site where I had removal of a trochanteric bursa. It is a weak spot in his view and it could take months for the swelling to go down. I was able to do a straight leg raise and my CRP is down to 5.6 and he sees no reason to believe there is any infection in the joint or wound.

He went on to say that I had a very complex revision Actually my 3rd revision of the cup and femoral head, my stem is the original one I had put in 20 years ago . He said I would feel pain for at least another six weeks as I am trying to put too much weight on it. I guess I have to let the crutches take more weight and ice and elevate more.

My X-rays looked good and he doesn’t want to see me for another six weeks.

What I struggle with is I expected to have an operation and then immediately feel better and I so want to get on with life. I am sure you are all familiar with this feeling. It’s the endless days and weeks, sometimes months, waiting for surgery which is testing for anyone then the surgery goes ahead and you feel relief you have made it to the other side.

Then all of a sudden it hits you that you are right back at the beginning trying to recover and do physio plus find things you can do to break up the boredom and frustration. Every where you look you see things that need doing but you can’t do them and that’s when I think it is tempting to try to push yourself to get better quicker which is definitely one of my tricks. It’s no good though because when you overdo it and then you are in pain it seems to set you back days. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks to all of you who supported and encouraged me over the past few days where I convinced myself there was something wrong.
 
Hi :hi:
What wonderful news! I can only imagine the relief you must feel. I hope you're able to take a deep
breath and relax now.

I understand your frustration in the inability to do the things you want to do. But it's temporary. You're hitting milestones. You now have the surgery behind you and two weeks of recovery under your belt. You'll continue to progress and heal. All the while adding more activity as your energy increases. Just for today.....relax in the good news you received. I'm so very happy for you.
May it only get better! :flwrysmile:
@Beckford
 
It’s no good though because when you overdo it and then you are in pain it seems to set you back days. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Yes ma'am. We sure have...we call it the Overdid It Club.
Pushing it just keeps things that are trying to settle and heal aggravated.
It IS hard to be patient.

So happy no infection...or major issues:tada:
Sending healing hugs your way!:console2:
 
You will get to the list of things that need done in time. I think those things bothered me more because I was sitting around the house and could see it all. I’m slowly moving through the list, but with mobility back, I can chose when I do them-and some days it’s easy to ignore that stuff and go do something fun. You’ll get there faster by not overdoing in early days.
 
My horrible lump has got slightly smaller. My partner did joke that perhaps my surgeon had fitted me with two hips, one as a spare because that’s how big it was!
I was told on Tuesday I could try to walk on my new hip to test it out so naturally I have tried . I can walk very slowly. The first few steps hurt like hell then it gets easier. I just can’t seem to balance very well and a bit concerned that my leg feels wobbly and shaky. Has anyone else noticed this?
 
Back
Top Bottom