Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Now Facing Left Hip Revision

Jumpin' Jehosaphat! That so some dandy bursitis you have there! Those things are nothing to do with activity though. Has your doctor seen it? The appropriate treatment is a cortisone injection and probably drawing off the excess fluid. You must be in agony!
now I am worried sick!
What are you worried sick about?
 
Thanks Josephine
I didn’t think this was normal swelling, I am in agony but interestingly the swelling isn’t painful to touch.
The worry is that I have damaged my hip putting too much weight on it.
I am calling the GP at 8.00 am
I will keep you posted
 
Spoke to my GP she said it’s probably a bleed under the skin and it would be reabsorbed . I really think I should get this looked at though.
She also said that they wouldn’t drain it because of the risk of infection.
I am going crazy with worry
 
Ah, did the GP see it in person? I don’t think that you should accept that diagnosis until you’ve had a physical exam. I had a bleed under the skin and it was warm and tender but not particularly painful. Can you go to the ED and let them examine it? It looks a bit too much like a very localised swelling and that’s not usual for a haematoma.
 
No she spoke to me via telephone. 5gis swelling isn’t painful to touch but walking is agony. Do you think it looks more like bursitis ? I am trying to get hold of my surgeon in London but he is busy. I am scared to death by all this.
 
I would speak to your surgeons secretary via the hospital, my guess is he will want someone to see this, or go to A&E,I really dont think you should leave it, it may be fine, but these are big operations and its omportant in the early days to have reassurance and a qualified look at it, try not to worruxx
 
Been to see my GP who tells me it is a bleed under the skin and the pain is probably from the surgery especially as it was a revision.
Not convinced but she gave me some codeine.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had revision hip replacement surgery to hear other experiences. This pain is terrible, I do hope and pray it will settle down in time . I am 6 days post op.
 
Aww, Bekford, I'm sorry that you're so worried. My heart goes out to you, it's a horrible feeling.
I know it's easier said than done, but try to give it a couple days and see if there's improvement.
Prayers going up for your comfort, peace of mind and healing. :prayer: :console2:
@Beckford
 
@Beckford are you icing and elevating that op leg? Ice will help ease the swelling. And do stay off that hip for awhile. Sounds like you were a bit too active too early.
 
@Beckford, I had my cup revised and had some swelling in the same area where yours is. It was uncomfortable for quite some time. I also had 50% weight-bearing restrictions. For peace of mind, get in touch with your surgeon's office to relay your concerns and get their guidance. Take it easy and try not to worry--that uses up a lot of energy that could otherwise go toward healing.
 
Hi Gypsy
Did it hurt when you first started walking , it really hurts if I put any weight on mine especially in the groin
I am going to get an X-ray tomorrow and a crp blood test because I am told if there is any infection it has to be treated sooner rather than later otherwise they have to take the whole hip out and do a further revision.
 
Hi Beckford,
Weight bearing was uncomfortable early on but I didn't have much groin pain. Most of my pain was toward the backside and along the incision. It may be something that will settle on its own but it is good that you are getting it checked out.
 
I am scared to death by all this.
I asked you before but you never answered - exactly what are you scared of?
it really hurts if I put any weight on mine especially in the groin
If you recall, I told you that you had not only trochanteric bursitis but IT band issues as well and psoas pain.
I am going to get an X-ray tomorrow and a crp blood test
Who ordered these for you?
 
Hi Josephine, I am worried I have been trying to put too much weight on the leg. I was told 6 weeks only 50% weight bearing and I have definitely done more even occasionally all my weight just to see if it can take it. I suppose I am just wanting to know if the operation has been a success.

The revision was done by Professor Alister Hart at the London Clinic last Tuesday 5th June. His main interest is revision hips and looking at why implants fail. This socket was revised less than 3 years ago and never was right and I was in constant pain. The implant has been sent to The Hip Implant Retrieval Centre in London for investigation.

It was my GP who told me that it is a haematoma but I think it looks like a classic bursitis especially because it is not under the incision The other clue is when I press it you can hear fluid in there.

Professor Hart has asked for a blood test and X-ray.

Do you really still believe this is bursitis? I would be grateful for your input.
 
Hi @Beckford
Prayers all is well and you get answers and reassurance at your appt today.
Let us know how it goes....we care. :console2:
 
@Beckford I have had 3 revisions on the same hip in a little more than 2 years. I also had 50% weight bearing with the first revision (which ultimately failed at the acetabulum implant).

The first revision was a pain from the beginning but followed the 50% restriction to the letter and there was no real pain from that. It was just not a successful revision from the start. I may or may not have had hip bursitis; since the revision began to fail badly in about 8 months, I was in a great deal of pain because it was shifting. The last 2 revisions have been entirely pain free.

I tell you all this to remark that just because it is a revision doesn't mean that is why you are going through this painful experience. A revision, in my experience anyway, is another surgery with requirements unique to the patient's problems.

I have had an infection scare which turned out not to be an infection after all but required another revision and a lot of tests. You have your own special circumstances to deal with here and I am so sorry they are causing you so much distress and pain because, as has already been pointed out, this emotional turmoil endangers your recovery.

Make sure the surgeon sees the problem; follow his orders if you trust him but if you don't get another opinion. You need to take care of yourself and make sure you are your own advocate. When you have a plan that seems reasonable to you, proceed and try to stop worrying.

Meanwhile, ICE, take your pain pills and keep that leg elevated as Jamie suggests. Will do you a world of good. I will be thinking about you and wondering how you are. Stay with us; there is always someone here to give advice from experience and/or to buck up the spirits. They've done it for me for quite some time now. Take Care. I hope you have some painless days and can relax as your problem is taken care of. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you for such an encouraging message. I too had a revision of the cup three years ago and that failed due to micro movement.

I am feeling a bit more positive today , the pain which I feel in my groin when I walk I think is more soreness , it doesn’t feel like the hip has gone wrong.

Could you please kindly tell me how long you had pain after your successful revision and how long was it before you could walk without the crutches

That would be great thank you x

Thank you all for your kind support, it’s keeping me going.

I had my X-rays today and bloods. I will have the results in the morning for my CRP levels and see the consultant next Tuesday to discuss the X-ray.

Will definitely keep you posted on how everything
Thanks again x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am worried I have been trying to put too much weight on the leg. I was told 6 weeks only 50% weight bearing and I have definitely done more even occasionally all my weight just to see if it can take it.
One thing you need to remember about this partial WB order - the consequences of it are a risk not an inevitability. Just because you've tested it out now and again doesn't mean you're bound to have a catastrophic failure! So put that out of your head right away!
Professor Hart has asked for a blood test and X-ray. His main interest is revision hips and looking at why implants fail.
Gosh, you have been to the best, haven't you? I know Alistair - he's a rattling good hip surgeon and I admired him greatly. I worked with him for a few months just before I left Stanmore (RNOH) so he probably won't remember me. But one teensy correction in your post - his main research interest is in failing implants.
It was my GP who told me that it is a haematoma
Fooff! What do GPs know! Ask Prof Hart about the bursa when you see him.
Do you really still believe this is bursitis?
Yes I do. Classic lump!
 
Just had my CRP results from my blood test yesterday. It came back as 26
Now I am really panicking, does this mean I have an infection?
I have called Prof Harts office to try to get the message to him now just anxiously waiting to hear. If any of you know about this please tell me good or bad I would rather know
God help me!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom