Revision THR Now Facing Left Hip Revision

The first few steps hurt like hell then it gets easier. I just can’t seem to balance very well and a bit concerned that my leg feels wobbly and shaky.
Please don't worry. Early days and you have not been weight bearing 100%. Ease into this. Keep on using any walking aides until you feel totally confident and pain free. Just a bit of time my friend. You are on the right track.
 
He has advised that the swelling is fluid that has collected in a previous surgery site where I had removal of a trochanteric bursa. It is a weak spot in his view and it could take months for the swelling to go down.
I totally agree with this. Although you never told me about the previous surgery to remove the bursa. That's most unusual.
And I have to say it - what did I say (below~!)
Fooff! What do GPs know! Ask Prof Hart about the bursa when you see him.


He said I would feel pain for at least another six weeks as I am trying to put too much weight on it. I guess I have to let the crutches take more weight and ice and elevate more.
I would totally agree with him.
What I struggle with is I expected to have an operation and then immediately feel better and I so want to get on with life. It’s no good though because when you overdo it and then you are in pain it seems to set you back days.
Surgery doesn't always solve things. And people do often have too high expectations from surgery.
 
Please can you explain what you mean? Are you suggesting my wobbly leg is how things will be? I don’t understand. Is this not normal after surgery? It feels like my leg is not strong enough to hold me up. I was hoping this would improve!!
 
Look at your comment I quoted -
What I struggle with is I expected to have an operation and then immediately feel better and I so want to get on with life. It’s no good though because when you overdo it and then you are in pain it seems to set you back days.
I was just agreeing with you!
 
Right now I am thoroughly sick of this bursitis I don’t think my surgeon understands how painful it is and it’s time I did something about it. It goes down a little but then swells up again and the pain is awful. It shoots down my thigh as well.
Any ideas how or where I can get a cortisone shot. I live near Salisbury and don’t mind private to get it done quick. My Hip revision was done in London and it’s just too far to travel.
Is there a significant risk of infection having this 3 weeks after the operation?
You have seen the pictures it is huge ! Please advise anyone!!!
 
Hi @Beckford
I'm sorry for your pain and I sense your frustration.
Let's tag @Josephine and see if she can advise how you should proceed.
Wishing you comfort for today.
 
Went to my local private hospital yesterday and saw a consultant who drained a good pint of blood from my haematoma. It felt great afterwards and I thought phew thank goodness for that. This morning when I woke up I was a bit concerned it looked a bit swollen again and hey presto I am sat here now staring at this bulge appearing again. Presumably this means more blood is collecting in the same space. I am really fed up now , don’t really know what to do next. I wouldn’t mind so much if it didn’t hurt but I can a sharp pain under this area .
Any thoughts anyone?
 
Sorry me again
Just reading Josephine’s message re my bursa. About a year ago I had a bad time with trochanteric bursitis . I had two cortisone injection s but they didn’t last very long so I had excision of a very inflamed bursa which was done as a day case and gave immediate relief. This is not bursitis it is a post op surgical bleed or haematoma.
Hope this clears up the confusion.
Thanks again everyone for being around when most needed !
 
Please go see your GP. They will be able to deal with this.
 
who drained a good pint of blood from my haematoma. This morning when I woke up I was a bit concerned it looked a bit swollen again and hey presto I am sat here now staring at this bulge appearing again. Presumably this means more blood is collecting in the same space.
It's not a heamatoma, I'll stake my frilly hat on it! And the content of an inflamed bursa will be bloody.
This is not bursitis it is a post op surgical bleed or haematoma.
Yes it is a bursa. There is no way you can still be having a bleed after 3 weeks. Not to that extent. Trust me, I know whereof I speak.
 
The blood was old blood I was told. I was warned by Mr Chapple New Hall Salisbury that it might come back and we may need a scan to see where the blood is coming from. I am wondering if it’s too risky to have it drained again in case the needle introduces infection which would be serious! Every time I look at it it’s getting steadily bigger
 
Had a call today from pathology Salisbury. Good news is that the blood aspirated from my hip is not infected but the bad news is yesterday the swelling came up like a balloon. I am told that I need an MRI scan to trace where The bleeding is coming from because apparently there is no point draining it again because it will just fill up again. Unfortunately I think it’s looking like another surgery!! I am wondering what will happen next!!
 
Prayers for your comfort and a sense of peace as you wade through all of this.
Please keep us posted. We care :console2:
@Beckford
 
Oh my stars...I'm so sorry you are having this to deal with now.
Having hugs coming your way!:console2:
 
Just wanted to reach out again. It’s a while since I visited bonesmart but suddenly I just feel the need to connect with others who have been on similar journeys. I am now six weeks post op and getting off the crutches. I am really working hard at trying to get some strength into this hip. What I am noticing is I can walk a good distance on the flat albeit slowly but I struggle circling and also any hill causes me to feel unsteady
it hurts more going down hill than up and my hip feels like it doesn’t want to take my full weight. Has anyone had this experience and more importantly does it get better?
 
Yes:sorry:...and :yes!:
It's those muscles and six weeks is still early days. Uneven ground and uphill is a bit of a stress.
All normal!
Lots of deep healing still happening!:ok:
 
Hi I am back again. I had a acetabular revision on 5th June and was doing relatively well. Off crutches and able to walk a few miles although I always had an unstable feeling.

About 8 weeks post op my hip dislocated , trip to A&E. It was put back in under general anaesthetic. I was hopeful it would be an isolated event. Not the case. Same thing happened on 12th September. All the time I was being super careful. Two weeks ago booked a nice little weekend away in the Lake District and day 2 hip dislocated, this time trip to Morcambe Royal Infirmary who put it back in again under anaesthetic. Two day later back home in Salisbury and out it came again. Four dislocations!

Professor Hart who is my surgeon is planning a further revision possibly on 12th December if there is a free bed.

The one thing in my mind is should I give it one more chance to heal or should I go ahead with yet another complex revision? Also I understand that even if I have a further revision there is no guarantee that it won’t re dislocate.

Please can anyone help?
Jane
 
Hi Jane,
I'm so sorry to read of your struggles, @Josephine the forum Nurse would be the best person to answer your question given her extensive experience in Orthopedics. I've tagged her for you so please check back.
Wishing you comfort and clear direction on how to proceed.
@Beckford
 
Back
Top Bottom