Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly :) The flight finally landed and my husband is off to get him. Hopefully I will get to bed soon - but yes.....I have to get that hug from him first :) Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes - and take care!!
 
Hi @Threads I'm so pleased that your op went well. Congratulations xx x hope you had a great Thanksgiving xxxx
Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
@Nana moon 27, I'm doing very well, thank you. I'm sore at the moment but it's nothing that ice won't fix when I can get my ice machine filled.

Canadian Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October, so yes I did have a good one about a month prior to surgery:) Canada and the U.S. have a lot of different holidays and some the same - including the Christian ones that are celebrated worldwide.

Thanks for stopping by.
 
This thing called BTKR recovery can be challenging at times, but, in the end, when you are completely recovered, you will be happy that you chose this method to have both knees replaced at the same time.

When the weather gets nice, you will be ready for it!

Hang in there---I will mail you the DVD of the BTKR International Club's "Secret Handshake"! :snork:
 
I never did write a two report but physio did measurements, etc. this morning, for the Team meeting this afternoon. The hospital doctor popped in after the meeting and said that everyone on the team seems impressed with my progress so far. I don't know my ROM numbers but I can sit with my feet on the floor, no problem. I have trouble lifting my knees too far towards my face and straightening up my leg and lifting when lying down. I can walk with the two wheeled walker, no problem but I'm still using a wheelchair for going any distance. So, considering my surgery was 2 weeks ago, I'm happy so far.
 
So glad to hear things are going well for you. I have finally been approved for the surgery and am struggling to find the time to get everything done. In just a little over two weeks I will finally begin my new journey.

Your rom will come, you are in the early stages of recovery and your knees are still swollen, they need time. However you seem to be responding very well. You will be back at your loom in no time.
 
Hi @Threads you're doing really well for two weeks post op. Please be careful though. Take your time. Listen to your body. I learnt the hard way xxxx
 
Thank goodness your surgical date is no longer in red on your signature, @fiberlady!!!! I've been watching for that to change. Great timing, you'll be able to take your mind off the next day while enjoying your Guild festivities surrounded by friends the day before. Trust all the pre-op stuff will be done before the 15th. You'll be home in time to be pampered on Christmas Day. Are your tea towels off the loom???

I'm doing fine, they wanted to get me using a four wheeled walker over the weekend but I said I wasn't comfortable with it yet. There are fewer staff here over the weekend. They have given me a tentative discharge date of December 12th. However, before then I need to be comfortable going up and down a flight of 14 stairs - I'm not worried about that. The OT did measure the distance between the ground and the front seats of our VW Westphalia and it's 3' - that I'm more concerned about. We are a one vehicle household. I'm sitting here with my feet on the floor and I'm quite comfortable. I think my ROM is doing well, I just don't know the numbers and haven't asked. I need to work on my extensions but, being here, you exercise everyday at least once, mostly twice.

Anyway, I'm counting down with you - we'll both be back at our looms before we know it! I might be keeping track of you during your from home. Soon we'll both have two new knees!
 
@Threads Just checking in.....hope you are doing well. Keep up the great work!!! I know you are looking forward to getting home. You will be there soon :)
 
Hi @ljrfrm - you tweaked me into giving a 3 week report ;-) Thanks for checking in.

I know it's not officially 3 weeks until noon tomorrow but ........ I'm lying here icing so I thought I would get ahead of the game. I was given a four wheeled walker today and advised not to use my two wheeled walker or the wheel chair anymore. Both are still handy, but I need to walk with as little support as possible. I've been walking around with it since this morning. I don't have numbers but I can tuck both legs under a chair when I'm sitting, so that must be about 120. I can stand with straight legs but I can't lift them and straighten them out when I'm lying down using a wedge during physio - so probably about 25. I have physio twice every morning and OT most afternoons. Today I walked around the gym twice using two canes and this afternoon my OT figured out how I could get up to the seat in our van - which is 3' from the ground. Who knew??? That was the highlight of my day - it means when I get home, I don't have to stay there! Doug is happy to drive me where I want to go until I can get permission to drive, and afterwards, I'm sure.

I'm very thankful to be in a place where I can walk to both physio and occupational therapy. We work hard but I can totally focus on getting stronger everyday. I'm on slow release OxyContin and am able to take break through as I'm approaching the end of each 12 hour period. I've "passed" certain levels you need to reach to be independent. For instance, I can shower whenever I want without assistance. I'm not without pain but it's doable. The hospital doctor is talking about me being off OxyContin before I leave here - tentatively scheduled for the 12th. I'm a bit concerned about that - I know the pain is there, it shows it's head during physio and other times during the day. I guess it's something I should ask my OS about when I see him next Tuesday.

Thanks for "listening". I haven't had the time to spend on BoneSmart that I'd hoped, but, I guess at this point, a strong recovery trumps that.
 
@Threads. So pleased to hear more details of your good progress. You are doing well after such major surgery. I guess you are really missing home and Mr Threads. But the rehab place must be a godsend with bilaterals. Good news on getting into the van too. I know how "little" things like that are worrying as they are actually quite big things after surgery. OTs are very good at coming up with practical solutions for problems.
Wow! You have to be pleased with how far you've come in such a short time.:wowspring::yay::yay::yay:

It's a bit of a grey day here but yesterday was lovely with a rosy pink and cerulean blue sunset that made me want to whip out my camera. Mr P went walking all day so he had his time out which has done him a lot of good.
I plan on maybe a little trip out in a couple of weeks when I can sit with leg down for longer. There's a beautiful garden quite near where you can reserve a wheelchair and by then I'll need the fresh air! So I cam be pushed around and see all the winter colours.:yes!:

Have a good day

Mary x
 
@Threads Thanks for the update- great progress :) And great news that you will be comfortable getting in/out of the van. You will be so glad to be able to get out and about - and it's great PT to do so. While you don't want to overdo it - at the same time, you will go stir crazy just staying at home, and gettin in/out of the van, going somewhere, walking a bit, etc. is all great PT. Make sure you have comfortable pain control when you go home. If they take you off something, try the new med there before you leave, so you can be assured that the med/strength works. You might not need the Oxycontine anymore, but you will for sure need something. I used the Hydrocodone up to about 10 weeks I think, and I still take one Tramadol in the evening after work many days. That stiffness/achiness feeling will be with you for awhile. But, you are doing great - ROM sounds wonderful, and you will be strong and well on your way to healing once you are released.

I'm off to get ready for work - I miss those days when I day consisted of my recliner, HGTV and Candy Crush. And focusing on just me and my recovery.
 
Thanks for your continued support @ljrfrm and @SuperSnapper! Starting tomorrow I have 3 sessions of PT and 1 session of OT. I have a question though for you @ljrfrm because you are way further down the path than I am. Yesterday I woke up with a sharp pain above my left knee. I'm guessing it's nerve pain because the meds I'm taking aren't touching it. Today it was worse and stayed with me all day. I know I've read about nerve pain on BoneSmart but when I did a search - nothing came up. Any words of wisdom?
 
@Threads Sorry about your pain. I did have some sharp pains out of the blue and I remember posting on my thread about it. I wish I had some more words of advice for you other than mine didn't last long and just as I was told by other BS members, those types of pains are normal. I actually still get odd sharp pains at times, although they don't last long usually. That said, if it keeps hurting I'd mention it to staff there to see what they say.
 
WOW- thanks for getting back to me right away @ljrfrm. I thought you'd be relaxing after a hard days work! I have mentioned it to the staff but no one seemed to have a definitive answer. The pain was so sharp when I woke up this morning and decided to stick with me all day. If it decides to be my "friend" tomorrow - I will mention it again. I guess I just need confirmation that it's normal and part of the process ;-)
 
@Threads That whole wanting to feel that it's "normal" is huge. I was the same way. It sounds normal to me - at least compared to what I went through. My similar pains would disappear as quickly as they would come on. The only ongoing pain I've had (which I still have) is a spot to the side of my knee (pretty sure it's my IT band) but the nerve type pains all went away pretty quickly. Let me know how it feels tomorrow. Hopefully it will be gone - or at least better!

I've had a rough week and my legs don't seem to be liking working full time. I'm very stiff, achey and swollen. And I really need to be icing (which I'm not). I've ended up working late 2 out of the 3 days this week, two days of 8 hour meetings with few breaks, and with such bad weather the traffic's been horrible, my husband is out of town so I'm having to drive my son to/from basketball practice, make dinner, etc. So all of this means no pain meds at all during the day. I'm off to take a well-deserved Tramadol now :) The good news is I have a dr appt tomorrow at 1:30 and I won't go back to work after - so I look forward to coming home and reconnecting with my recliner :)
 
@ljrfrm - what can I say, that you aren't already telling yourself. I can't imagine sitting through 8 hour meetings, with your legs hanging down - and with very few breaks! Do your feet rest comfortably on the floor or are they dangling the way mine do because they are so short - as is the rest of me, oddly enough ;-) I can't imagine which is worse, being on your feet for hours or sitting. School break is creeping up soon, isn't it? I know you told me but I can't remember when it is for you. Our grandkids' last day of school is the 19th. Hopefully your husband will be back home soon.

My "nerve" pain could just be the result of doing a lot of PT and OT, over the last few days. They've added one more group to my schedule starting tomorrow and that's the Standing Group. That makes 2 1/2 hours of therapy of one kind or another tomorrow.

Have a good reconnect with your recliner tomorrow after your doctor's appointment. "Talk" to you tomorrow.
 
@Threads, as the recent recipient of just ONE new knee I am often overwhelmed. I don't know how you BTKR'ers manage but you have my utmost respect. Heal well and feel better soon!
 
Thank you @Clipless - but, you know we only have to go through it once and you will face going through it twice! We actually go through the same aches and pains, it's just on both knees. If I had one done, i wouldn't have had the opportunity to spend over 3 weeks (by the time I go home) in this fabulous rehab centre. The staff are amazing and two of my roommates are amputees. I've watched them learning to adjust to their prosthesis and learn to walk with them. Now, that is courage!

Thank you for your good wishes - every cheer along the way helps!
 
@Threads I get sharp stabbing pains out of the blue as well. They really make me pay attention! And they can come and go for quite sometime. You really do seem to have got lucky with your rehab place - it must have made such a difference to your recovery and confidence in your new knees. Your posts sound very upbeat inspite of the stabbing pains.

My two little grandsons came to see me yesterday - it took them all of two seconds to pretend my sticks were guns - although the little one was fascinated to find they could be adjusted to even fit him. Then they found a chair just outside my bedroom and took turns pretending to be in a waiting room! I even forgot about the KNEE for a while with all the chaos they created! I now have a new picture specially drawn " to cheer " me up

Hope you have a good day

Mary x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom