Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads I'm so glad you got it worked out and you have a plan for rehab. I think you will find that getting dressed and moving more will be a positive change. That said, remember....don't let them hurt you!! Hope it's a good experience..........let us know how you are progressing. And make sure to ask for pain meds before you are moved - it might be awhile once you are there until they will be able to give you any.
 
@PrincessTia - glad we have the same slippers - I thought I bought them big enough to allow for the swelling but they are a challenge to get on ;-) They've been enjoying the view!
 
Thanks for the tip @ljrfrm - I'll make sure that I space them out in the morning. I will be moved by stretcher using a hospital transfer service. Doug is very relieved because the thought of the two of us trying to get me in and out of the van was more than a bit scary.
 
Thanks @PuppyLove - I certainly hope so too! How are you doing. I've been staying "close to home" the last few days and haven't been out visiting other threads.
 
@Threads Hi there! Oh dear, it sounds like you really have been having a time. I so hope that entry to the rehab facility will be a fresh start. I'm one week post-op and things have been fairly smooth. Can't emphasize enough the importance of staying ahead of the pain with meds taken on a firm schedule. If rehab won't set up the schedule for you, set the alarm on your phone for every 3 or 4 hours or whatever your prescription calls for so you can regulate them yourself. Also, ice is key both for pain relief and swelling. Swelling is still getting the better of me and I'm not quite sure what the answer is but I'm hoping it starts coming down soon. I'll be checking back in on you and hope to hear that you are being well cared for and starting to experience some relief. Hugs and sweet dreams! :)
 
This afternoon, I learned the hard way what happens when the pain gets away on you.
Oh, ow, ow! :holysheep: The very same thing happened to me—I was assuming that everything was being given to me on a prescribed schedule. Ha! That pain has a way of making you speak up for yourself. I started using my phone app right there in the hospital to help track my meds and remind me to ask. I hope it doesn't take long for you to get it all under control again.

My slippers ran a tiny bit small; if I had had any kind of swelling, they would not have worked for me. Even now, although I don't see swelling in my foot, my right slipper sometimes leaves a mark across the top of my foot.

I decided early on that I didn't care if I looked like a wimp or sounded like a whiner—I was going to get the pain control I needed, one way or another! :tantrum2: Do take good care of yourself.
 
St. Paul's Hospital is an older hospital and in the downtown core - you wouldn't have views like this, from there. However, it has a great reputation and I'm sure your husband would have been well cared for there.

Yes, St Paul's certainly is older, and it shows! However, my husband had an excellent team of cardiology doctors looking after him. As visitors from overseas, we were very pleased with the care he received. I had to find hotel accommodation for myself while he was in hospital and I had to walk back through the streets to my hotel every evening. Some of the people were a bit odd, but i never felt unsafe.
 
I'm sorry the pain got ahead of you today. It is a good idea to have your medications written down - dosage and frequency. that could be even more important when you get to rehab.

best wishes for your transfer and settling in to rehab. Don't let them work you too hard!
 
@Threads morning, just rushing this off while drying my hair! Off out early to help at a coffee morning so rushing. Great news that you are moving. Hope the food is heaps better at the rehab and you get good treatment. You'll feel better getting dressed and moving a bit more. That "patient " thing is hard to do if you are usually an active and busy person. Fingers crossed that the other patients are cheerful and friendly -much better than your coughing older gent anyway. Keep cheerful - walking on the beach and taking lots of photos have to seem closer.
Mary x
 
So sorry to hear that things are not going as planned, hopefully when you get settled at the rehab facility things will improve, including food and PT. Keep a notebook by your bedside to mark the time of medications, I found it very helpful. I am still waiting to hear from the insurance for the ok to have the surgery, I have had to be proactive with the surgical coordinator, she doesn't seem to be able to juggle a lot of things and doesn't follow through, she probably thinks I am a pain, but the squeaky wheel sometimes is needed.

Hope the move goes smoothly for you.
 
@Threads Thanks for thinking of me in the midst of all you have going on. My second week back at work is a bit better - I still find the day challenging but I think I'm figuring it all out. I will update my thread this morning with details!

Best wishes for a comfortable transfer - and for yummy food at your new facility :)
 
I had to find hotel accommodation for myself while he was in hospital and I had to walk back through the streets to my hotel every evening. Some of the people were a bit odd, but i never felt unsafe.

@Celle - I've been wondering why you might have reacted to the people around you, as you did. St. Paul's is on the perimeter of the most active and open LGBT community in Canada. They have a strong community and tend to stick inside it socially, therefore might not reach out. Depending on where your hotel was, you could have been walking through their community, or a strong business community with people rushing to and from work, or the upscale, trendy area of Yaletown. St. Paul's is in a very diverse, lively area of the city, unlike VGH which - for all it's beautiful views has - what we call body part buildings - surrounding it. Need to see a skin specialist? There is a building for that. Problem with your ears, nose and/or throat - there is a building for that. Vancouver has gone from being a very colonial city to being an extremely culturally diverse city.

Now back to the business at hand - I've been waiting for pain Meds for about 45 minutes.
 
what we call body part buildings - surrounding it. Need to see a skin specialist? There is a building for that. Problem with your ears, nose and/or throat - there is a building for that.
We have that here in the Cleveland area, too---either the Cleveland Clinic or the University Healthcare System. Both are ginormous and have building after building after building---but, as for parking? As Hamlet said, "There's the rub..."
 
We have that here in the Cleveland area, too---either the Cleveland Clinic or the University Healthcare System. Both are ginormous and have building after building after building---but, as for parking? As Hamlet said, "There's the rub..."
 
@referee54 - my quotes aren't cooperating! Parking is horrendously expensive near VGH - however, there is an upper limit to what they can gouge you in a day. Doug has probably spent close to $140.00 on parking over the last. There is lots of street parking near the rehab hospital, so there is an advantage there. Transit is close at hand at VGH but always busy.

I've received my meds - waiting for them to kick in.
 
St. Paul's is on the perimeter of the most active and open LGBT community in Canada. They have a strong community and tend to stick inside it socially, therefore might not reach out. Depending on where your hotel was, you could have been walking through their community

@Threads Yes, I walked through the LGBT area every day and enjoyed all the rainbow flags. I ate my evening meals in the cafes there. I also had a daily chat with the man begging small change outside the 7/11 opposite the hospital. It was the number of beggars that surprised me.
Apart from John's health issues, I loved Vancouver and found the people to be very helpful, especially the bus and taxi drivers. I had to move hotels 3 times, as Vancouver was filling up with people going on cruises.
 
@Celle - you must have been here Mayish! It's interesting when cruise season arrives in Vancouver, overnight the city is flooded with tourists heading out on their Alaska cruises. I worked in Canada place for almost 20 years and the Holland America line used to dock right below our office windows. It was interesting to see the passengers doing their drill prior to departure and then watch the ships sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

I'm glad you liked Vancouver - I chose to make it my home many, many years ago. I'm looking forward to being able to see the exhibits at the Art Gallery and just generally enjoy the city. We're you able to do any site seeing, I'm guessing not with your husband being in the hospital?

The number of beggars is surprising and our mayor has been working hard to find shelters for the people willing to accept the help. I think we get a larger number of beggars here because of our weather. We rarely get snow, unlike the snow bound Canada that people have in their minds.

I hope you both can come back some day and be tourists.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom