Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Threads sending healing prayers your way. I hope you are comfortable.
 
Thanks, @Jane B. - I don't normally complain - at least publicly. Poor DH takes most of it. It's combination of both, today. I order the food about 24 hours ahead of when I get it. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have ordered just mixed veggies, without salt. I thought chicken was on the menu tonight, but I guess I was wrong. I couldn't swallow the pork last night. The night nurse just came in and I told her about the food issue. We'll see what happens. I certainly won't starve to death but I need the strength to heal and I'm hungry ;-) Thanks for listening.
 
@Threads Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a rough start. Hope things settle down very soon. Best wishes for a restful night and a nourishing tomorrow!
 
@Threads I'm so sorry it's a down day. This surgery is so filled with ups and downs, so I'm glad you reached out. It really helped me when others cheered me through those hard days. Are you still in the hospital then? Here in the US they start planning discharge before you can take three breaths I think. That's hard, but I think for you, it's just as hard with the idea of rehab looming over you with no answers yet. So, will the team make the decision - you won't have to wait until your doctor returns, will you?

What do you think about rehab? As you know, I didn't go - but everyone is different. I was able to do the 15 stairs to my bedroom on day 3 after surgery. Others have gone home without rehab and stayed on the main floor in a bed setup, sofa or recliner. Both are options, and the up side is at home you are in control of your own food, meds, ice, etc. For others, rehab is a great option, especially if there is not support at home. (i.e if you husband has to go to work each day).

So, my question to you is will you be able to participate in the rehab decision, or are you more comfortable letting the doctors decide? What do you want to do? I know you are worried about your stairs.

I had very little PT at the hospital too, and starting on day 3 I went to outpatient PT which was 3x per week. I did some exercises early on at home, but really my biggest exercise was just making myself get up and walk every hour. I never walked a lot - just enough to stretch and to avoid clots. I did do heal slides in the hospital - and used a washcloth on the floor while sitting in a chair. I'm not sure if you can try that - I'd do it when I would get in/out of the recliner. Not many - just a few to get my legs moving.

Lastly, can your husband bring you some protein rich foods that would taste good for you? Protein-rich foods are important now for your recovering body. Another suggestion would be to ask for a meeting with the hospital dietician - I know in most hospitals the dietician can order special meals. We used to always do this for my mom when she was hospitalized, and she would not only get protein rich foods that weren't on the menu, but also smaller snacks between meals.

I think the most difficult part for you must be that you feel like you are in a holding pattern, not knowing yet about rehab. Try to talk to one of your doctor's partners, and let them know that you'd like to discuss the rehab decision as you and your family need to know what will be happening so they can make preparations. Try to get an answer to IF they feel you need rehab (and what you want to do) and also WHEN the rehab or discharge home will happen.

Keep in touch - and hang in there. Every day that passes is one day closer to having those knees healed.
 
@Threads have been looking out for your posts and wondering how you were but missed yesterday's post somehow. I'm hoping you are more comfortable and also that you've had something better to eat.
 
Hi @Threads - welcome to the other side. I hope things begin to sort out for you. There is so much to deal with and figure out. Sounds like your hubby is a gem - rely on him. Sending you warm, healing thoughts.
 
Hang in there!! I am sorry to read of your rough early going with this thing called recovery.

It does sound like your husband is a gem and a "keeper"!
Lastly, can your husband bring you some protein rich foods that would taste good for you?
The hospital at which I had my BTKR and recovery had the absolute worst food in the world! My wife ended up bringing me some much better tasting meals!
 
Thank you all so much for your support. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

I made it to the washroom again last night - and brushed my teeth over the sink. So that was 3 mini walks plus sitting up on the edge of the bed for about an hour. Today is day 6 and no sign of working on stairs, or anything else that I would have thought would be physio related. I saw Mom through many physio sessions at this hospital and find it difficult to find how much time I'm left on my own without any noticeable progress - unless I initiate it.

@ljrfrm - I spoke to one of the doctors on my OS's team this morning. I'm becoming the squeaky wheel. I know you were able to go straight home but, as of today, I haven't had a chance to even try stairs. We didn't get an electric recliner (I couldn't justify the expense for something we didn't have permanent room for and wouldn't need for a long period). We could rent one, and if things don't start happening here, maybe that's what I'll have to do. I'm not good at being patient - I like to see progress.

I've been texting Doug - he was here over 6 hours yesterday, and when he gets home he ends up being my social secretary! We'll see what I get today - food wise - and if it's any resemblance to yesterday, he'll head for the cafeteria to find something that hasn't had to make it up 14 flight and wait to be distributed.

One of the challenges has been dealing with my neighbour - the nights are getting better but the days are challenging for him and everyone around him. He's 92 and is used to having the world jump to his demands. I know a hip is painfull and he has no tolerance for pain. Yesterday, while I was having the IV link removed from my neck - he was screaming about the pain he was in because they had him sitting up. I think, he thinks, he's in a room by himself. His chest seems badly congested and he spends all day (when he's not asleep) trying to clear his chest and spit it out. Doug went down to the gift shop yesterday and picked up ear plugs for me. They muffled his sounds, thank goodness.

How are your new knees doing @sandbar525, and @LaxMom? Sorry - I've been self centred and haven't asked how your recovery is doing.

Thank you @referee54 for being there, having travelled the road before me.

Before you know it @SuperSnapper, it will be your turn. I wish you a speedy recovery without the million dollar view. If you can only have one - go for the speedy recovery and beat me out there with your camera!

[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
 
My goodness---I hope that they get this PT and rehab issue settled pronto! It seems that they have you in a holding pattern when you should be moving forward!

I can understand about the food issue---when one is in a hospital, and the routine is pretty mundane---food can provide a big psychological lift! I had eaten college dorm food for a number of years during my undergraduate work, so I thought that I had tasted almost everything horribly imaginable! Not so!

I ended up playing the game, "Name that Meat" during my hospital stay and the scrambled eggs had absolutely no taste---I told one of the nurses (who understood how bad the food was) that the scrambled eggs were plastic and reminded me of my daughter's Playskool Kitchen and all of the plastic food!

The food was so wretched that the nurses had menus for the carryout at local restaurants!

My last day on the rehab floor, one of the dietary ladies came up and said, "You haven't ordered your breakfast yet." I replied, "Why should I, it all tastes the same---no taste at all.." I ended up ordering Cheerios, figuring that you cannot screw those up. They tried, and almost succeeded.

You need the food not only to heal,but to lift up your spirits, too!

Here is to hoping that you get this PT and rehab straightened out, so you can move forward with your recovery!

Hang in there---come on the forum to vent, to complain, to yell---we will be here for you.
 
@Threads, that is one spectacular view! Please do not feel self centered for not checking in! I was actually feeling the same- you checked in on me but I never checked on you until today. But, hey, if ever there is a time to focus on yourself, it is now. You will need all your resources to manage it all. So please, no worries there!!!

Having had my own issues while in the hospital, I will guarantee you that everything will be so much better once you get home. Be the squeaky wheel! I can proudly say I yelled at my nurse and am quite sure my medical record days 'difficult patient!' But we have to fight for ourselves.

My experience so far is the bone smart mantras are right. Rest, ice, elevate, take your meds. Movement right now is just a tiny fraction of the day. Just work on getting the swelling down.

Hugs,

Sharon




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Threads loving the view but mine won't be at all spectacular! I am sorry to hear you've been kept hanging about and you certainly don't need the poor man with the cough either. :bignono:Thank goodness you got ear plugs.

I suppose the enforced rest might be doing you good but it sounds very tedious. Hope Doug gets you something good to eat. You need it for your recovery. Hospital food in the UK is generally grim and there have been several moves to improve it but nothing much seems to happen. Can't help feeling when you can manage steps that you'll be much better at home.

Sending you warm wishes from Yorkshire.

Mary
 
Hi @Threads
I'm sorry you're still stuck in hospital with the horrible food. Which hospital is it? My husband was in St Paul's for 11 days, about 18 months ago.

Definitely ask you husband to bring in some food that you fancy - don't get too hooked up on it having to be protein rich - there's protein in vegetables too. While you do need the protein, there's no need to worry too much, because this is still early days in your recovery and you have plenty of time to heal.

I know you're anxious about not getting much physiotherapy yet, but honestly just resting is what your knee needs the most right now. Do ankle pumps while you are in bed. I know you said that you can't do heel slides in bed, but try them when you are sitting in a chair. Here's an article about how to do heel slides:
Heel slides and how to do them

It does sound as if you need to speak up next time you see a physiotherapist, and say that you want to learn how to do stairs.
 
@Threads forgot to say - happy to take you up on the first photo! Let's hope we are soon both out there mailing photos to each other ! :type:
 
On a brighter note, you are now an Honored and Exalted Member of the BTKR World-Wide Club! I will send you a DVD of our super-secret, but highly acclaimed, handshake!!!:snork::rotfl:
 
@Threads LOVE the view. Too bad it's not at some luxurious hotel though :)

The only stairs practice I had was about 5 min on my second day (I was discharged on day 3 - Was supposed to be day 2 but I had a lot of nausea issues so I stayed an additional day). Once I knew "how" to do the stairs, they were very do-able. I realize though everyone is different, but definitely see how you do with stairs and go from there with a decision.

Good luck with the food. I was so lucky that my hospital had a great menu to order from and the food was good. I couldn't enjoy it until the day I was discharged though as I was so sick to my stomach.
 
@Threads OMG, what a view! I think if I had a view like that, I wouldn't even notice my knee! (kidding)

I'm sorry everything is so tedious for you right now. :bored: I hope somebody comes to help you at least find out if you can do steps okay. I'm not sure what they will be sending you to rehab for, considering that all you'll be doing at home is rest, rest, rest, elevate, elevate, elevate, ice, ice, ice! :ice: I'm so glad your husband is there to help you.

On another note: you have my slippers! :walking: I bought those Acorn slippers for myself before the surgery, and they have been perfectly wonderful! I hope you like yours as well as I like mine.

May the view cheer you up, may you soon eat some good food, and may you get to where you need to be—speedily! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Threads
I'm sorry you're still stuck in hospital with the horrible food. Which hospital is it? My husband was in St Paul's for 11 days, about 18 months ago.

Hi @Celle - the view is from the 14 floor of the Vancouver General Hospital, with a wide ranging view towards the North Shore mountains. The view is great because the building I'm in is at the top of a slope heading down towards the water, not much to block the view. St. Paul's Hospital is an older hospital and in the downtown core - you wouldn't have views like this, from there. However, it has a great reputation and I'm sure your husband would have been well cared for there.

I wrote this about 4 hours ago and am just now getting around to sending it off. However, it's still late afternoon for you, and summer looks like it has comfortably arrived. I have two sets of friends who are determined to have as much summer as possible in a year and come back to Canada during our late spring and as soon as our fall starts to get a nip in the air - head south to NZ to soak up summer there! Both women are weavers so have a studio set-up in both houses.
 
OK - the news. I'll decide when I get there whether it is good news - I think it will be good.

I move to a rehab hospital tomorrow morning. They expect you to get dressed and do a lot more for yourself. I think this is good, life appears to be returning to normal when you aren't lying around in a gaping hospital gown. You are also expected to go to the rehab dining room for all your meals. I haven't been more than 10 feet away from my bed for six days.

This afternoon, I learned the hard way what happens when the pain gets away on you. I've been living in a bubble and believed that the meds were given to me on a prescribed schedule and mixture of pain meds. I found out today - and this could be the age I am, that this isn't the case. When you pick up a prescription from the drug store, the label tells you how much and how often to take your prescription. I was told this afternoon when my legs were screaming at the world, that oxicoton is patient controlled. I thought that for the last week I was being checked in on and if I said I wanted pain killers, when asked, that was part of the protocol. Today I wasn't asked and none was given ........... and it appears to be my fault that I didn't ask. My night nurse just checked in and told me that I hadn't had oxy all day, and yet my day nurse said I had it at 2:00 pm. I did ask for something at 6:00 because I was sure I shouldn't be feeling that level of pain.

I think I will have to keep a list of what medications I had at what time. That's the only way I'll see a pattern and know whether I'm sticking to a manageable schedule. How have the rest of you managed without appearing like a wimp???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom