Guest viewing is limited

THR Noise Issues - Hip Squeak

Start of week 4!
Decided to have a chat with my old PT this morning with a view to putting some sort of Gym routine together.
Ended up doing hi rep low weight rotines with gradually increasing weight and decreasing reps. Very tough after so long being inactive! Good though. Also did some floor work with bridging and planks.
The good thing is none of this gave my hip any trouble at all so I plan on building into my week every other day. Also when I went to walk out I forgot my crutch!!! That has to be a good sign!
 
Well done! Just one word of warning - gradual is the key. You are still very early out of surgery. Muscles will be very sore and nerves might complain. Build in days of rest to all your body to recover from the new activity.

Yes! Forgetting your crutch is just what happens. Use it when you feel tired so you don't develop a limp. Congratulations on your progress!
 
I know I perhaps shouldn't of but my new Mountain bike arrived today and I couldnt resist! Little bit 'awkward getting on and off but once under way it was fantastic! Loved it! I didn't fall off and it didnt hurt at all.
Went back to physio for a follow up today and she was amazed, I walked without a limp and can balance indefinately on my operated leg. Thats 24 days since the operation. Shes pretty much given me the all clear to do what I want just so long as it doesnt hurt. So pleased so far!
 
Hi Wills, See you are pushing yourself forward, but you have got to remember you had major surgery and things take time to heal. I don't know why you are in such a hurry,guess you only know that. Patiences is a great virtue, I hope you listen to what every one is telling you.
 
Guys, of course I listen, thats why I'm here! I'm not disagreeing with anyone or trying to start a debate, I'm merely reporting on my progress in the hope that other people in a similar situation can maybe feel a little less daunted by it. I'm only doing what my body feels able to. Its not that I'm in a rush but having spent nearly 3 months in Hospital last year I'm enjoying every second of my new life. As for risk, well there obviously a risk attached to anything. I want to make the most of my new hip and opportunity its given me.
 
4 weeks post op. Went out on the new Mountain bike for the 2nd time and ended up doing 6 miles incl a few hills. Felt all good but certainly used a lot of muscles that have been asleep for a while! I'm doing 30 min sessions on the wattbike at level 4 now every other day. The new Gym routine consists of very low weights and high reps solely on the upper body. 3rd time today. All in all it feels pretty good, I get the odd ache and pain but the hip still feels good.Also now down to 20/20 mg of Oxycodone per day.
 
Wow Wills, you are an Iron Man.. I am very impressed....

jolly good :) - you sound like you are going to become one of our amazing success stories..
 
Wow Wills, you are an Iron Man.. I am very impressed....

jolly good :) - you sound like you are going to become one of our amazing success stories..

Thanks Sandy, I certainly hope so, if I dont it wont be for lack of trying! Think I'm more of a titanium man rather than iron man!
I've taken June off work completely so that i can concentrate on my recovery. Hopefully that will make a big difference.
 
Very wise move to take June off! Sounds like you are really doing well. But allowing time for this recovery is the key to getting on with life. A short space of time for a lifetime of pain free activity. Well done! :thumb:
 
Well, thats week 4 done and now starting week five! Last week consisted of 4 visits to the gym concentrating on high reps and low but increasing weights. 4 half hour sessions on the wattbike at level 4 starting to do a bit of interval work now and yesterday did 15 km on the mountainbike with a few hills thrown in! New hip feels fantastic still, walking for the most part now perfectly normally. I really couldn't be more pleased!:biggrin:
 
26 km done on the Mountain Bike, no pain from the hip at all on the bike! Couldn't be more pleased!:biggrin:
 
You are amazing Wils, well done, so pleased for you.
 
Wow! Now THAT'S impressive since you just had your surgery in early May. So glad you are doing that well.
 
Well..... Here we are, the end of post op restrictions! Last week was really good, did a lot of work in the gym, found the TRX frame to be really helpful for squats and lunges etc. 3 really tough 30 min Wattbike sessions and.......wait for it......a 38 mile hilly road ride on the mountain bike. Was a beautiful day and I couldnt resist! Hip felt absolutely fine but it was a tough ride. Now the only thing I,m really struggling with is restless legs at night. I've tried Magnesium and vit b but to no avail. I have reduced down to 10mg of oxycontyn per day (from 120) over the last six weeks and feel the restlessness is more to do with that than anything else. Any advice greatly appreciated. I have to go back to work in July so need to get it sorted by then if possible.
 
This weeks been good again, hopefully be off Oxycontyn by tomorrow. Did a 78 KM Mountain bike ride on Wednesday, that was possibly a bit too far, was very tired at the end but still managed to get in the gym that day too! Had a little slip in the shower which smarted a little. Just goes to prove you cant be too careful!
 
Woweee Wills, you are what we call an Iron man!

Do be careful, it is at times like this when the muscles, soft tissue, bones are still trying to heal and they get tired that little accidents can happen...

I applaud you! I think you are amazing, but please be careful :)
 
Well, been a while since I've been on here. A lots happened. I'm now cycling 120 miles a week. I'm doing 3 or 4 gym sessions and have regained a lot of the fitness I had before. Its not been easy. Coming off Oxycontyn and anti depressants was tough to say the least. But it can be done. apart from the odd twinge of pain and a bit of discomfort from the screws and plates holding my pelvis together it feels quite incredible. Oh I've entered a 160 km sportive on the 16th september! Wish me luck!
 
Wow, at three months I'm nowhere near there!! But looking forward to hopping on bike in a couple of weeks or so. Good job on the recovery, and best of luck with it continuing long and strong!
 
Hey, Wills
It's always good to hear from other cyclists. I'm impressed with your mileage and encouraged to hear you say you've reclaimed much of your fitness. I feel as if I have a long way to go--able to do most anything I want, but not at the pace and strength as before. My biggest challenge now is finding ways to get some respectable cardio. Thank you for updating--I had not seen any posts from you before. I'm not sure what a "sportive" is, but I'll Google it to find out. Whatever it is--good luck!!
 
Incredible story wills - yours is certainly not the norm but well done. Not sure I would be tackling an event so soon but all the best to you! Let us know how it goes!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom