THR Noise Issues - Hip Squeak

It sounds like normal post op pain to me. What kind of pain medication are you taking and on what schedule through the day and night????

It also sounds like you probably are pushing a bit too hard for this early in your recovery. You need to scale back for a while.
 
I think it is Jamie, I had similar pain after my previous ops. Feels like somethings stretching back into place!
I'm listening to my body but am feeling so good right now its hard to explain. When I was released from my original pelvis reconstruction I was in agony but told to push on and regain ROM and mobility. It never happened. My hip feels strong now for the first time in 11 months and the basic exercises are a breeze.
I did 10 minutes on the watt bike yesterday with no problems whatsoever. If it hurt I would stop.
I appreciate everyones different but the pain I have fom my scar and muscle is minimal. I hate sitting around doing nothing.
Going shopping for a new mountain bike this morning!
 
Start of week 3 post op. Up to 15 minutes daily on the wattbike. Walking around the house without crutches and just using one on longer walks. Hope to increase to level 1on the watt bke today and the goal is to be doing 2 X 20 min sessions by the end of the week. Although, I pick up my new Mountain bike this morning so the temptation to replace one of those sessions with a 'real' ride will be immense!
 
Resist the temptation to get on a real bike this soon after your surgery. You might be able to do it just fine, but your ability to react quickly to situations just isn't there yet and you could really set yourself back with a fall or muscle strains. Patience!!! Patience!!!!:biggrin:
 
Hi Wills

I so agree with Jamie. The last thing you want is an accident that sets you back.. Just think of it this way, you have this hardware for the rest of your life, take care of it now in the early days, weeks, months and it is going to serve you well for the rest of your life... I know we hate that word patience.. sorry ....
 
OK Guys! The good news is that theres a delay in the delivery of my new bike. I really am only talking about spinning the pedals over locally just to get the feeling of being on a bike again. I have to admit I'm feeling a lot of tenseness in both legs as result of using them again but that feels pretty natural.It will now be start of week 4 when I get on a bike proper.
 
I know it's hard at this stage but please be patient. At only 4 weeks out you still need rest and recovery. Remember this is only a short time to spend on getting recovery right. Get it right and you have a lifetime of fun. Get it wrong and you will suffer. Easy does it!
 
I'm sure I was advised on this in Hospital but I cant remember what was said.
When is it safe to fly, short haul, two hours or so. I'm on the anti clotting injections for another 10 days so assume at that point the risk of a clot is over?
 
I was told I needed to observe restrictions for 6weeks so unable to fly unless wanted to cart a raised loo seat around etc.

I suggest you check with your consultant as no one here can give you a yes or no as we don't know your medical history or proceedure, yours isn't a straight forward THR by the sounds of it.

The problem is also if your surgeon advises say 6 weeks and you fly against his/her advice it may invalidate your insurance both travel and medical should something happen.

I have been on warfarin for over a year and have also been on the injections, the risk isn't over just lessened considerably and of course the injections won't stop a dislocation

Ps: What is a silent hip??? most people hope they all are
 
Mmmm, I guess it was six weeks. I'll ask but havn't got a follow up appt yet.

Silent hip has nothing to do with noise! Its a much shorter stem retaining more of the femur and a bigger ball socket.

I have been told I can drive at four weeks and all restrictions can be lifted at that point. Tbh though my hip feels as solid as a rock and although I am being very careful I can use ordinary height toilets and chairs. The important thing is the 90 degree rule I gather.
 
Hi

I flew back to Spain 2 weeks after a 2nd revision, Birmingham to Malaga. We pre-booked our seats and special assistance so from check in I had a wheelchair take me to the plane doors, at Malaga a wheelchair was waiting and they took me to our car. I am toe touch weight bearing and my 'good' leg is bad so I can't 'hop' far! I'm on precautions for 12 weeks, (now 4 weeks post op) and fly back in 2 weeks for my check up. My consultant said as long as my wound was ok and I was careful I could fly. I am registered with a doctor here so if I need to see them they know all about me. But your consultant might say different they all have different rules/opinions..
 
If this was me I would call for advise and then plan a trip at least three months out so all be well and that way all worries asside. Oh when you fly if you still have trouble let the airline know and they will help you. I have and they are great. Hope to hear that you had fun when you were able. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
You could always ring the ward and ask the ward sister - she would probably know. Or the surgeon's secretary, ask her to relay a message to the surgeon. Give her your email address so she can get back to you at her own convenience.

[Bonesmart.org] Noise Issues - Hip Squeak
 
I am 5 1/2 weeks out and am flying today:biggrin:- OS gave the go ahead and it is only a 5 hr flight- will walk every half hour or so- got an ice bag to ta
ke with me- if all else fails, I will take a tylenol Pm and "sleep" through the flight- but I don't anticipate any problems-

again, it is what you feel comfortable with and what your OS says- plus your healing process-
 
. The important thing is the 90 degree rule I gather.

Yes I doubt you would be able to comply with it on a plane and travelling to and from airport , I even get worried in the cab to physio as my knees higher than hips for a short while and can feel a slight pull.

Your call but I won't risk it, not planning to travel until August/sept until fully fit
 
I would not presume to give you "advice", as every case is so different, but I do think Dingbat has a good point about possible difficulties with insurance if you are not precisely sure of your surgeon's advice..

Also don't forget to contact the medical line of your insurance company and add the THR to the list of conditions as should something happen you won't be covered.

I phoned on Monday having cancelled my work travel insurance and now will be using the free one withy my bank and am I covered for my THR /Arthritis , they also noted other medical conditions I have had in past 12mths including a DVT and High Blood Pressure
 
Hi Wills649,

I was able to fly a week after my THR surgery. I had my surgery done in another city, province and they kept me in the hospital a coup,e of days longer because of it. They knew I was flying back, too. I was discharged and spent a day in the hotel before a flew home - it was a on a jet, so the flight was only an hours.

The big things was sitting down and where to sit on the plane. I had my crutches but used a wheelchair in the airport.

I suggest you speak with your surgeon and team. Each THR case is different.
 
I had an emergency THR after an accident in Peru, and flew home 16 days later. Door to door, from Lima to our home near Manchester, UK, was 24 hours.

I would not presume to give you "advice", as every case is so different, but I do think Dingbat has a good point about possible difficulties with insurance if you are not precisely sure of your surgeon's advice.

Can you ask him to give you a letter, stating that he has advised you that it is safe to fly?

My husband - who had to do all the "admin" relating to our insurance whilst I was in hospital - was worried about this particular issue, and my surgeon was happy to provide the letter.
 
Just LOVE my new hip!!!!! Have progressed to 2 x 20min sessions on the Wattbike trainer level 2. Next week I aim to be at 2x 30 min with the odd 1 hour session towards the end of the week. I'm also taking 20mg less of Oxycontin daily and plan on reducing 10mg per week. The difference this operation has made to my life is quite incredible!:snork::yes 4:
 
That's so wonderful to hear!!! Keep up the grand recovery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom