No surgery for me

I hope you don’t mind but I have a question which I should really ask the PT but I don’t want to go back to them.

As you know I’m not supposed to walk any more because I have a high falls risk. So most of the time, I stand transfer from the wheelchair to the recliner or bed. This means that depending on whether I’m parked to the right or left that one leg internally rotates and one externally rotates every time I transfer. Even though my right hip is worse, this rotation causes both hips to get sharp pains (sometimes makes me cry out) followed by aching. For all the hippies out there...any suggestions to help me avoid this movement? Also my right leg no longer straightens. I feel it’s my hip causing the restriction even though it looks like it’s the knee that’s bent. Functionally it’s not a big problem because I’m not supposed to walk anyway but it’s another deterioration that I don’t like. I’ve been trying to stretch my hip flexors (gently) but it hasn’t made any difference. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. Shh...don’t tell my Docs I’m standing. Note right leg is bent forward, I can’t bring it inline with my left leg.

[Bonesmart.org] No surgery for me
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: REM
Hi Gidget - thinking about my daughter transferring, are you swivelling on your feet, rather than standing up then taking little steps to turn yourself round so your back is to the chair seat? One of the no-no's I've been given by the surgeon post-op is to NOT swivel, as it increases the strain on the hip.....I have to do a 6 point turn instead. Also are you doing a side transfer? Have you tried a front transfer to see if that changes things? I think you need to cut out the swivel....perhaps others will have ideas too. As for your right leg not straightening properly, it looks like mine was before the op, I couldn't straighten that side up out of the joint.....I put it down to a bone spur catching, made me limp too. If it's the same thing with you I don't think stretching the hip flexors will make any difference :sigh:

Shh...don’t tell my Docs I’m standing[/QUOTE

our lips are sealed :wink:
 
Thanks Anny...unfortunately I don’t have enough control over my legs to do small motor movements. I can take steps but I have little control over where my feet land or small delicate movements. I tend to have jerky gross movement. It’s difficult to describe. It’s part of the reason I’m considered unsafe to walk. I need to move between wheelchair, recliner and bed because I get very sore staying in one position and I tire very easily. I’m glad you told me that you were warned against swivelling...I haven’t been told it was bad for my hips and thought it was novel to me. Now that I know it’s frowned upon I’ll ask for PT input next time I’m in hospital to see if we can work out a different way of transferring. My current wheelchair doesn’t have foldaway arm rests...it’s ordered on my new one.

As for my bent leg, I’ll stop trying to stretch the flexors..it hasn’t been working and I thought I needed to be more aggressive...now I’ll just accept it and move on mentally. It’s so good to be able to come here and get advice or reassurance.
 
Ah Gidget....hope the physio can suggest something helpful! And have you had a chance to ask your OT for suggestions? Maybe something along the lines of a banana board? Surely there must be some clever bits of equipment that can help with this! Will keep an ear out for anything that sounds promising.....and roll on the new wheelchair :yay:

Hope Lily is being a good girl.....my youngest daughter has been staying for a few days with her partner and they have totally ruined Charlie and Joey.....spoilt isn't the word, and it will take me weeks to get them back to something resembling good behaviour :umm::heehee:
 
@Gidget.
I've been reading your thread. I too love your humor and your strength. It's a lovely picture of you that you posted. I'm going to continue reading your thread until up to current post.
 
That was a very nice picture of you and Lily on the rooftop
 
@Gidget.
Finished reading your entire thread. It gave me so many different emotions. I felt sadness for the many disappoints you've had to suffer. I felt joy in your sence of humar. You've made me laugh many times. You've made my eyes puddle up more the once. I wish it was possible to give you a hug. But that won't ever happen. Just know if it was I would. I completely agree with the lady that mentioned your ability to write so well. I've enjoyed reading your thread and hope you continue to to write to us. The good and the bad. I'm not a religious person but I will send a prayer your way that one of these many test find you relief and comfort. I truley wish this for you. Lily in the pj,s made me laugh the hardest. Your friend from the USA.
 
Thank you. I’m in hospital again and when I left, Lily cried and growled and tried to jump on my lap to come with me. As soon as she sees the suitcase she gets upset. It breaks my heart.

I had a bad night with hip pain...just achy stuff. This morning I was sitting in the recliner and when I moved I got the sharp, cry out kind of pain and I jumped when my Doc asked what was wrong. I hadn’t heard him come in. I told him it was JUST my hip. He laughed and said that perhaps I should have it fixed...wicked sense of humour! Anyway, next thing I knew the nurse came in with some anti inflammatory tablets and a heat pack. My Doc had organised them. Pity he’s not an OS! I might have gotten my surgery.

I was considering asking my GP to refer me for an injection into my joint just as a one off to see if that’ll help for my cruise. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not. The PT here is arranging for me to get a non wheeled walker (wheely walker is too dangerous) to use on the cruise so I can access the balcony (wheelchair can’t get out there) and I’ve been given the green light by the PT and Doc to walk a little within the cabin as well. I just have to be very careful especially as the ship rolls a bit and no one will sell me travel insurance. It would be a very expensive exercise to be helicoptered off a cruise ship to hospital...I will be extremely careful! Starting to get excited for my yearly cruise.

I’m thinking next year I’d like to cruise to New Guinea...
 
  • Like
Reactions: REM
Oh REM, our posts crossed paths. Thank you your prayers. I’m not a religious person either but I’m happy to accept whatever prayers etc that anyone wishes to bless me with. I’m grateful for the thought. I’ve had nuns and a Catholic priest pray for me despite knowing I’m a “doubting Thomas” and I was truly grateful for their genuine prayers. My Muslim GP told me I wasn’t “Godless” I was just still searching. I think he was right.

I have a very odd sense of humour...I saw this in yesterday’s newspaper in the Obit column (yes, I read it to make sure I’m not in there). I had a big laugh, it’s not something you see every day. Poor Rob.

[Bonesmart.org] No surgery for me
 
oh yes, PNG would be awesome, Gidget....where are you off to this year? Quite like the sound of a cruise....the only time I've been on one was an 'educational' one when I was 16 to West Africa....our ship was a bit spartan (converted troopship) and we spent most of our time sailing, and, of course, our days were filled with lessons. But the few days ashore were great....I've never forgotten seeing different cultures, was really lucky to have had the opportunity. Now I'm older and less into roughing it, a self-indulgent cruise would just hit the spot :yes!:

Glad you've got a good doctor....makes all the difference when you're on the same wavelength, even if he can't help with your hip. And you have a wicked sense of humour! :rotfl:
 
Hi anny. Back to New Caledonia. I couldn’t get off the ship last time, my wheelchair was playing up in Noumea and Vila had just been hit by TC Pam and was essentially destroyed. I’m hoping for better luck this time.
 
Hi Gidget. A cruise will be splendid..I would so go with you.
Need some variety in my life too.
You are such a determined spirit, and I hate that you have to suffer that hip pain. I certainly don't know why that can't do an injection to see if it helps.
I have been at hospitals with Dad off and on these past months, and it DOes get old.
My Mojo is the same way about suitcases being packed...gets anxious...tail down.
Smart critters that are.
He understands English do I have to spell that I'm about to L-E-A-V-E.
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
  • Like
Reactions: REM
Ah yes, I saw a program on TV where as a result of some kind of research they found dogs have an understanding of 250 words. My Lily is still young and I think her understanding is much less. My old dog..now, if she could have spoken she could have spilled a lot of secrets...she understood everything.

I’m looking forward to my holiday...food, wine, music, quizzes, floor shows and even the casino. Last cruise I was passing by a Blackjack table and stopped to watch. I found it was the start of a tournament. It was $20 entry fee, I’d never played Black jack and was going to move on when a very “helpful” woman informed me that it was best if I didn’t join because I’d just be wasting my money...so I joined (passive, aggressive hey?). I won that round and ended up days later at the final table where I was the first to be bundled out but I did enjoy my name being on the leader board. I saw that lady again and pointed my name out to her. I really enjoyed that.

My Doctor came this morning and told me I can’t have in home treatment instead of coming to hospital every three weeks. At the dose of drugs I’m getting I would have to be on an infusion 24 hours a day, 7 days a week every week of the year. In hospital I can have it given a lot more concentrated and faster because of the medical and nursing back up and the ICU if anything goes wrong. I appreciate that he took the time to research the possibility, it’s more than my previous doctor ever did. It’s disappointing but if you don’t ask you will never know.

So far today my hip is behaving itself. Odd how some days it just doesn’t hurt (much).
 
. I won that round and ended up days later at the final table where I was the first to be bundled out but I did enjoy my name being on the leader board. I saw that lady again and pointed my name out to her. I really enjoyed that.
:tada:goody goody on her.:angel:
I think that is splendid!
 
Hi there,
The cruise you have planned sounds fun! Never been on a cruise....maybe someday I will?
I hope your week is peaceful!
@Gidget
 
Hi Gidget....New Caledonia sounds gorgeous (had to google to make sure I knew where it was, hear more about Vanuatu and Samoa over here). I'm quite jealous, haven't done any of the islands yet, and I like the sound of a cruise.....no decisions about anything, everything done for you....could force myself to like that :heehee: will be talking to my husband about that! Presume you leave Lily with friends? Or are dogs allowed these days? Can you register her as a Support Dog? Not sure what the criteria is for that. Glad you've got a supportive doctor....makes a big difference when you see a lot of them
 
Well another 6 days in hospital done and dusted. Blood transfusion running at the moment and then home to my small human family and larger animal family. My own bed, my own bathroom, cable TV, my own recliner....lots of vying for position on my lap from my three fur babies...ah, bliss. (Not to mention getting away from the faulty IV pump that’s been hissing at me since I was admitted. Here was I thinking my tinnitus was really bad and the whole time my pump has been emitting this awful whistling noise. 6 days of annoyance and I could have asked someone to change it on day 1...silly me!).

I’ve decided that I’m going to buy a bikini..yes..this 62 year old body is going to see the light of day. I plan on sun bathing on my balcony on the cruise. I figure I’ll leave a large tip for the cabin steward to make up for any shock//PTSD he may experience if he unwittingly catches a glimpse. Looking forward to fresh air, warm sun and gentle sea breeze...not to mention a cocktail or two.
 
Send us a picture of your tan. When do you ship out ?
 
Thinking of you @Gidget and wondering how you are doing?
I know it had to be hard seeing others different takes on a surgery you had so hoped you would be able to have to improve your mobility.
I'm wishing you all the best tonight....:friends:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom