Bilateral TKR No Longer an April Fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bio oil is supposed to be very good. Am sitting reading the whole of your thread, I am only six days post bilateral TKR and have all your symptoms. Just hope I am a lot better at 5 wks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
You will be a lot better, Caro. Try not to make some of the dumb mistakes I did.

Those first five weeks went very slowly, but they did pass. I'm by no means in great shape, but when I think about where I was only a few weeks ago, I'm very happy.
 
Any good moisturizer is probably fine. I like Cera Ve in general b/c it is good for sensitive skin.
 
caro

I am 67 and had BTKR last September, best thing I ever did. I had a very rapid recovery (which few on here believed ;) ) I was back to work 3 weeks to the day after Surgery and did not even need a cane. So realize that most of the post's on here seem to be from those who are less fortunate on there recovery time.
 
:wow: Three weeks! My knees are ready--the rest of me not so much. I'm just too tired.
 
:yahoo:I had a really good sleep last night and woke up ready to go. Went to the mall to return a dress, and then went food shopping. After lunch, I'm baking some cookies for my grandson's birthday.

I'm six weeks out and feeling much better than I ever thought I'd be feeling two weeks ago. Still taking Tylenol during the day and Tramadol at night, but I really have no knee pain. It's just the leg aches that still bother me.

My ROM and extension are good, so my primary goal now is to increase my stamina. I'm sure it will come.

I feel I'm one of the lucky ones, and I know that many struggle for longer periods than I have, but I want people to know that's it's possible to get through this, and there are good stories out there.
 
Wow I am a very determined independent woman and my focus is getting back to work. Here is hoping I will be as quick as you! Well done :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
In a few weeks, you'll be doing better than you ever imagined. We bilaterals are tough that way. :snork:
 
I've been thinking long and hard about this, and I really believe I can do just as well without going to physical therapy.

I've been walking more and doing a lot around the house. Today I vacuumed, cleaned the bathrooms and baked bread. This daily increase in activity seems more valuable that the concentrated hour of exercise I hate so much.

I called and told them that Monday would be my last day. They weren't too happy, but I am ecstatic.
 
@Wednesday I have been going to PT twice per week for 6 weeks now and I actually look forward to it. I don't find any of the exercises painful but certainly exhausting. The only "pain" is when we go to measure my ROM (which is not every time) and my PT pushes a little further bent or a little more straight but as soon as I say that's enough then he quits. I actually have found the exercises beneficial and believe PT has certainly contributed to my so far successful recovery. Of course, I am not sure I am the kind of person to have the discipline to do it all on my own.
 
I don't find the PT painful either. My therapist is a good guy and very sensitive to my needs. I think the big problem is scheduling. He is available at 3:00 pm, which is about the time I begin to get really tired, and an hour of cycling, step exercises and stretching totally wears me out. I started out with excellent ROM, so there is little room to improve there, and primarily I have to work on building stamina. The concentrated hour of exercise is exhausting for me, but I do walk a lot, climb the stairs in my house, take out the dogs and do housework at my own pace.

Maybe I'm just lazy. :nah:
 
@Wednesday @Phil75070

About the PT - different strokes for different folks! PT is good, as long as its not excessive and doesn't hurt you, but it's quite possible to manage without it, too.

@Wednesday - You're doing really well. Just make sure that your enthusiasm doesn't lead you into doing too much in the way of daily activities. You're still healing and your body still needs to rest a lot.
 
Yesterday was a really good day. An hour and a half drive in traffic to my grandson's birthday party did not seem to affect me at all. I was walking well and feeling well, and everyone was amazed at my progress. I took my granddog (a big Bernese Mountain dog) for a walk, helped to get the table ready for our barbecue, and then helped with cleanup. To top it all, I had a great night's sleep.

I know that sometimes good days are followed by not-so-good days so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high and keeping my fingers crossed. :fingersx:

My son thought I looked great and suggested that maybe next month I'd feel well enough to have two little boys spend the weekend with us. I sure hope so.
 
I may try to see if I can go once a week to PT since this is my 2nd knee and I presumably know how to do the exercises.
 
I honestly don't think PT helps me all that much. I'm sure that it's very helpful to some. I guess we all have to find our own way.
 
I have been going to PT twice per week for 6 weeks now and I actually look forward to it. I don't find any of the exercises painful but certainly exhausting.
I felt very much the same way after my BTKR---the PT helped me get out of the house, and the PT's themselves kept me reigned in, so to speak, so I would not be tempted to do too much---I was also exhausted at times after a session.

Another reason for PT for me was that I wanted to get back onto the ball diamond and umpire, so the PT's also had some sport-specific exercises for me to do later on in my rehab.

I honestly don't think PT helps me all that much. I'm sure that it's very helpful to some. I guess we all have to find our own way.
As long as you are progressing---which you are---to each, their own!

Keep on keepin' on---and you will get to the destination of being fully recovered!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@referee54 I hadn't thought about golf specific exercises. I'll have to ask. I don't know when or if I'll ever be able to squat down to "read" a putt but I wasn't able to do that for the longest time before surgery anyway because of the pain and deteriorated condition of my knees. :)
 
Is anyone ever able to squat down that low after this surgery? I'm wondering what's the best way to get up off the floor without putting too much pressure on the knees.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom