Bilateral TKR No Longer an April Fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend coming up. Time to relax a bit. Don't want to join the overdid it club.
 
Got to love the tramadol !! You are doing just fine. Do be aware of the ODIC . Its so incredibly easy to do. Keep up the great work. Im approaching my 3 rd month and couldnt be happier. No more arthritic pain . You will see improvements alot more frequently very soon. Almost daily. Best wishes Iceman
 
The tramadol is really making things better at night. I'm still waiting, though, for consecutive hours of sleep instead of the off/on I'm getting now. Getting greedy I think. :SUNsmile:

I can't wait, Iceman, until I'm where you are. Now, midway into my fifth week I'm seeing small progress, and this has really raised my spirits. Today I was able to wear my pre-op jeans without tightening in the knee area. YAY!

And.....I finally figured out what ODIC means. Not going anywhere near there. I will be good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] No Longer an April Fool
@Wednesday, here is our Library article regarding sleep problems which you have probably read, but a refresher never hurts: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Definitely worth a reread. I think I hit four on the at-home list.
 
The bilateral knee experience is full of surprises. I have been so proud of my left leg and its ROM, so now it seems that my right leg, in a fit of jealousy, has decided to outdo the left in straightening. This competition between the two legs makes me very happy. :yes:
 
Today I see my OS. I've got a few questions so I'm eager to hear what he has to say. Hoping he will give me the ok to drive. :fingersx:
 
Woo hoo, I can drive!:egypdance: Doctor says I'm almost 0 straightening and at least 130 flexion on both legs. He suggested I try Tylenol PM; if that doesn't help, he also renewed my Tramadol prescription. He recommends Vitamin E for the scars.

I don't see him again until next year--April Fools Day!:happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A note to my Canadian friends--I have a good friend who lives in Toronto, and when I told her that my surgeon received his medical training in Canada, she told me that this is why I'm doing so well. My doctor agrees!:snork:
 
Wow @Wednesday, congratulations, I was celebrating getting my second knee to 90 yesterday...130 is amazing! Well done & enjoy the freedom of driving again!


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
:egypdance: Great report!
 
I think I've been very fortunate, but I don't want to give anyone the impression that all is perfect in new-knee land, NJ.

I still get achy and tire easily. I think the flexion comes in time for everyone. Some get there faster than others, but we all end up in the same place. Each little step forward that we take, makes us more confident that although the total healing process is slow, it does progress, and every day brings us closer to normal.
 
I you have done incredible - 130 is amazing! You will certainly enjoy this summer!!
 
Well I learned something last night. The Tramadol had allowed me to sleep, and I foolishly thought that's all it did. I took my doctor's suggestion and tried Tylenol PM last night. Sure enough, I went to sleep, but 1 1/2 hours later I was up with a strong burning sensation in both knees. It took a while for the Tramadol to kick in, so it wasn't a restful night. Doctor said that Tylenol and Tramadol coexist well. Tonight I try both. :fingersx:

I did PT on Monday and Wednesday, but I'm skipping today and moving to a two-times-a-week schedule. PT really tires me out, but doesn't help me sleep.

I think sometimes, that because I'm walking quite well and can go up and down stairs, that people think I am in better shape than I am. It's hard to explain to people who have not had this surgery that even though I look ok, my body doesn't feel quite right. It may be lack of a good night's sleep, but I feel as though I have so little energy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard isn't it. People keep insisting that I "look great" when I actually feel rubbish a lot of the time. But I don't want to be negative so often keep quiet. It's definitely an up & down recovery! Hang in there, you ARE doing great, but need to listen to what your body wants. X


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Hi @Wednesday, sorry you have been uncomfortable for so long with bone on bone. I don't see how you can or anyone can go back to work in three weeks. Really?? Maybe the doctor meant three months. Regardless of what type of job you have that seems to be pushing it. I understand about the financial aspect with TKR. I went back one week shy of 3 months because my benefits would stop if I came back after three months and would have to do Cobra for myself and my youngest son which would end up costing $1500.00/ per month. Too much.... so I went back and to work with an ice pack in tow along with high dose Motrin. At night I would be able to take my stronger pain medication. It's a tough call. Maybe you can have the doctor postpone surgery for a little bit until you can figure finances out. I went back in January and have just gotten thing sorta out the beginning of last month. I did have a small amount of private insurance which helped immensely, and received. $215.00 / week for the weeks I was out from work from the hospitals insurance. But that in no way is a salary. So yes it was tough. Pray over it :good-bad:and the answer will come to you. If it seems like it will be more stressful to have the surgery put it on hold to give yourself a chance to put everything in place. My best to you. :console2:
 
Hi chestnc,
I think you may have posted in the wrong thread. I'm retired, and although I sometimes substitute, I don't plan on doing so until the next school year. You may want to repost in quasi's thread. Your comments may be helpful to her.
 
Even the little triumphs make my day. I have slept on my side since I came home from the hospital with a big fluffy pillow between my legs. Last night, I realized that I no longer need the pillow. YAY!

It seems like such a small thing, but it was really helpful. I could turn and sleep in any position just as I used to, and although I still woke up several times during the night, I had the best sleep since before surgery. :sleeep: What could be better?
 
It seems that every day I learn something new, and yesterday I learned that I shouldn't believe everything the PA told me. He said I should massage liquid Vitamin E into the wound, and last night I did. What a mistake:bignono:.

My knees were burning more than ever last night, and when I turned on the light, I saw that the entire area around my wound was a bright red. I checked WebMD and discovered that not only does Vitamin E do absolutely nothing for scars, it also has a tendency to cause contact dermatitis. My poor babies were burning from the inside AND the outside. :bricks:

So no more Vitamin E for me. Any suggestions on alternatives?
 
Wow, that's rough! My surgeon recommended Vitamin E oil for my knees as soon as my incisions were completely closed. He said it would aid in massage and would help the scars. I have extremely sensitive skin, but I had no problem with the Vitamin E. It felt especially good when my hubby would lightly massage the oil along my scars. I am so sorry your knees reacted so badly!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom