Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Hey @Pheebs52, I found out really quickly that Oxy kept me from sleeping well. I bet your better sleep was your being off of it. I got off of it as soon as I could. Of course, I napped off and on all day and night for about a month after my tkr. Once I was able to sleep a little bit on my side, and off of the Oxy, my sleeping got better. It's never really good. I've had a bladder tack and they said to not let the bladder get too heavy, so that wakes me up every 3 hours or so anyway, but I normally go right back to sleep. Not with the Oxy. I have to read for a while, then I'll drift back to sleep, but only for a little while. It will be interesting to see if you have another good night's sleep being off of it.

My bff drove me up to the front of the church yesterday and I used the walker to go up the ramp that's on the side. Then to the SS room, then the bathroom twice, (green tea!), the the sanctuary back and forth twice and up 3 steps to the choir loft to set up the sound system, then back down the ramp to the car. All this probably added up to at least 2000 steps on a broken foot and ankle! The first long walk I did and it was way too much too soon!

Oh, I screamed at Sunshine when she stepped on me. She took off, along with 2 others that were sleeping with me! I could shut them out, but my 21 year old's litter box is in my bathroom off of my bedroom. I sure don't want any booboos from Booboo! I had my boot off. I will leave it on tonight. At least that will be some protection in case one of them wants to walk on me again! I didn't have to worry about that with the cast. It was as hard as a brick and didn't give a bit!
 
Aha, I think perhaps walking the ramp at church was just too much. Inclines=awful, for knees and feet! My driveway and just about everything around here is a steep incline and that's still a bit of a struggle.

Good idea on wearing the boot to bed for pet-protection! I could no more shut my dogs out than my husband, lol. They would whine all night, spoiled little furs.:doggie:

I've wondered about the Oxy from day one since it seemed to give me a slight buzzing sensation in the bean-brain, but...I needed it, and it did provide excellent pain-control. Today, I've only had one and that was after PT "just in case." Not even sure it was necessary, but old horrors die hard, lol.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now than you were this morning?
 
I'm staying on the T/T doses every 6 hours for the next week or so until my foot get used to walking. So, yes, I'm feeling about 50% better! I'll gladly take that! I got out my elevator lift that I had for my tkr, and my swelling is going down.

I have so much to do in this house and yard, but it will just have to wait! This healing comes first, as it should with all you all! (My country upbringing is coming out!)
 
Ouch, Paula! Your poor leg! I know cats don't weigh a lot, but when they step on a sore place, they seem to have such hard, bony feet. Poor Sunshine, too - I bet she got such a fright.
It's a good idea to wear the boot for protection.

I hope that, after your ODIC on Sunday, you have a good rest for a few days. Give your bones a chance to settle down again.
 
50% better sure beats 50% worse! Keep doing what you're doing!

As for the house and yard, well...they can wait. Maybe even for another year, lol.
 
Here's a picture for you, Paula:
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Dust bunnies are your friends - they show you have been resting properly.
 
Love those dust bunnies! And add to those the tons of cat hair! I do have a Roomba, which helps a lot. Now, if I could just teach the kitties to clean out their litter boxes and wash their bowls! Next year, maybe!
 
I thought I'd give an update on my injury since I'm partial weight-baring now. Each day I have spent about 2 hours total pulling grass and weeds out of my walkway and brick patio. I keep the walker with me and hold on to one side as I bend down and pull up the stuff. I experience a lot of swelling and discomfort afterwards. The ankle isn't that bad, but the whole top of my foot is, and its red. Of course, I come in and elevate, which does bring the swelling back down until I get up and walk again. I'm on Tramadol/Tylenol every 6 hours of the day. Nighttime it's 2 Tylenol PMs and sometimes a sleeping pill. I elevate it for the first hour or so in bed, then kick out the pillow. The top of the foot aches and burns. I don't know if the nerves are reacting or not, but it is a burning sensation, just like after a tkr.

Now, I'm having a problem with the rtkr that has shown back up again. The added weight of the boot has caused the medial side of my leg, close to the knee, to be very painful. It's not bad if I remember to pick my leg up straight, while on my back. But, if I'm on my side and my knee is bent when I lift it to get in or out of bed, the pain on the side of my knee, between the front and the back of the knee, shoots up to about an 8. I have to be really conscious to not lift this way. This area has been a constant problem, but was much better until I had my injury and started lifting the 'wrong way'. The rest of the knee is OK, just a little sore, which I blame on the added boot weight.

I see my OS for the foot/ankle on the 19th, so I'll be in the boot at least that long. I'm still not driving, but plan to be by then. The PA says I can take the boot off to drive then put it back on before getting out and walking. I tried pushing on the brake with my boot on yesterday and OUCH, I'm not ready yet, it's that foot again! I see my OS for my tkr year checkup on the 24th. I will certainly ask about that problem area. I assume it's a muscle that runs up the inside of my leg.
 
Paula, you have been through so much with this injury. I bet you wish you could fast forward a few months and be done with it! :beg:I am always impressed with your ability to continue encouraging everyone else and not just focusing on your issues. Thank you for being such an encouragement. I know that God will turn all of this around for good and you will end up blessed and blessing others through all of this. :angel: Prayers for a good day today.

PS: I think you may be overdoing the weed pulling. Listen to your foot just like you do your knees. Hugs.
 
@sandi4213, thank you. I wish this had never happened. God had gotten my attention for some reason, but I haven't figured out why yet. But, everything happens for a reason. And, as you said, there has to be some good to come of it, but I've not seen it yet. I might not ever see it in this life, and it sure is depressing to be blessed with a new knee and hobbled because of one stupid misstep!

I need to see if my broken bones will tolerate the vibration of a riding lawn mower. I need to cut my grass! Being single can sure be rough sometimes!

I cherish your prayers! I know they work and they will eventually when the time is right! Now, it's time to get my mind off of myself and on to serving others! Thank you for listening. I have no one but Bonesmart.
 
i'm just catching up on your posts Sistersinhim; don't know how i missed them. you are one busy and ambitious lady ~ teaching sunday school (are they children?), setting up the sound system for the choir and i'm sure other jobs, not to mention your gardening and taking care of your kitties!! i'm impressed. i was happy to read that you are feeling 50% better. i love the memes that @Celle has posted; so true. do you have neighbours that will cut your grass for you? if you do attempt it, just be extra cautious and if it feels like too much, then stop. sending you an early Happy 4th of July.:kittykiss:
 
And here's vote #3 against 2 hours of weed-pulling! Sheesh, that's just way too long a time to be even partially weight-bearing and it sounds like an uncomfortable/unstable position as well. Your foot really isn't much different than your knee when it comes to healing, though it will heal much faster if you listen to it. Look, weeds are green and green is a great, soothing color. Most, if not all cultivated flowers developed from weeds. :SUNsmile: As for the lawn, can a friend or neighbor do it for a few more weeks? I know it's a riding mower, but...you could fall. Or, it could tip over. Or, the vibrations will rattle those poor foot bones. That last is no joke as I discovered while riding over pot-holed roads here. The vibrating effect seems to be cumulative and it's quite unpleasant. Just take it easy, ok?
 
I'll bet someone from your church would love to do a bit of weeding and lawn mowing. People love to help but for some reason they don't always reach out when we most need it - and us independent types are sometimes reticent to ask for help when we need it. You could have your BFF make a list of regular chores you are not getting to and have church folks sign up. Hang in there Paula! Being new here I just read part of your thread - you have been through it girl!! I don't know how you manage to stay so positive for us when you have your own recovery to tend to. I wish for you restful days and nights - pay attention to Celle's weed sign!
 
You ladies are the best! Out here in the boonies, there are 5 homes, and we each have 5 acres. None of us is close. We just wave and say "Hi." That's about it, so I have no one I can ask to cut the grass. Thank God, I have only about an acre cleared, so it's not that much to cut. I'm one of the youngest people in my church, so I need to be helping them do yard work! They have blessed me by taking me to the doctor and lots of texts and calls.

What is so funny is that this time last year, I was going through the exact same thing with my tkr. Every one on here was telling me to slow down, and I did, but I still got it done. I'll do the same this time. I have a feeling the lawnmower will be too much vibration for me. It was for my knee last year for a couple of months. I will know as soon as I start it up if I can handle it or not. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed and depressed and this is one of those times. I chose to have my tkr, but I didn't choose this! OK, pity party is over with, I promise!
 
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
Hang in there, Paula. You know that this, too, shall pass.
Your ankle and foot will heal.
The grass and the weeds will still grow, but you will be able to deal with them, when the time is right.

For now, hugs from me. ((((((((((Paula)))))))))) :friends::loveshwr:
 
You've had a lot to deal with. It's wonderful that you are in a boot now, though, and more mobile. You're moving in a positive direction now. If only healing didn't take so long!
 
@SusieShoes, you are so right. Just 10 days ago I was in a wheelchair! Now, I can actually walk to the bathroom, kitchen, even outside! I have a walker inside and one outside. How many people have 2 walkers?! I'm even doing a little walking without it, if I have something close to hold on to. Before long I won't need the walker at all and will graduate to a cane! Then, to get rid of that cane will be the next big goal! I got rid of it after the tkr, I'll get rid of it with the broken bones! Patience is all it takes. I hate that word! But, will have to have it.
 
@sistersinhim - I agree with others. Let the weeds go. I know it's hard to do when they're invading the garden. I'm not one to talk, I tried to weed my flower bed shortly after my hysterectomy.

You've done an amazing job with everything that has come your way. And, as you said, everything happens for a reason and we may not know why for some time. For me - I think all of this is to learn patience and to learn how to ask for help. (I am terrible at both)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Having patience and asking for help are really two hard things to do. I hate to put anybody out, so I'd rather do it myself.
The heat index is 105*, so I'm not going outside to do a thing more except to water my 3 new butterfly bushes that I planted Saturday. I think I can handle that.
 
Back
Top Bottom