TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@Pheebs52, yep, Nancy Sinatra! Are you a singer? I'm half of a duet that sings Christian songs. We've been together for about 20 years. Unfortunately, we don't get calls anymore. People want younger people. I can't blame them.

I have a foot rake that works well, where I can get to it. I've asked my friend to do the parts I can't reach when she's off tomorrow. She'll have to be really careful, though. It's easy to take good skin off, too!

I am so happy that there seems to be no problem with my new knee! I guess I had gotten a little over confident by not watching where I was putting my feet while walking. I learned that lesson well!

@Celle, yes, it is a pain. And it itches big time! I have been moisturizing it with some foot repair from Avon.

I just slept about 1 1/2 hours a little while ago. I had given up naps 6 months ago! But, I have to admit that it sure does feel good to get those naps in when I can!
 
Just catching up on the good news! Sadly I think someone already made the Nancy Sinatra joke!
Are ya ready, boots? start walkin!
 
Paula, you are well on your way to recovery. It is always hard to be patient while our bodies are doing the job of healing, but I know you can do it.

I find it sad that you aren't called to sing anymore. I always wanted to sing (actually, I sing all the time, just not wel) and it makes me sad for you that you don't get to as much as you would like. A good voice should not be wasted.
 
Well, I think I'm in the clubhouse, daggone it! Marilyn took me shopping, and I was fine using the motorized cart. I had it loaded with my groceries, and don't you know I had to go to the bathroom! You can't take merchandise in there, so I had to walk, without any assistance devices, all the way to the back, where the handicapped stall is. Why do they put the handicapped stalls so far from the door?! Anyway, my breaks didn't like my full weight on them, and I'm paying for it now. Icing and elevating to try and get this excessive swelling down. I just might have to pop an Oxy.

But, on a good note, my sweet knee is still doing wonderfully! Lefty is even a little better now that it's sharing the work load with righty!
 
Why, oh why is it that even if I use the bathroom just before I leave the house do I have to go as soon as I arrive at my destination?!
I'm just glad that no one emptied your cart while you were in the bathroom @sistersinhim!
Regarding the handicap stalls location, today I was in a museum and the handicap stall was directly on front of the door. It was also occupied, so I had to stand in the way of every other person trying to get to the other stalls! Of course, when the door opened who stepped out but a veryable bodied teen. As @Pheebs52 would say, pfffttt!
 
@sistersinhim, nobody wants to hear me sing, not even my showerhead microphone, lol! But I do it anyway.:heehee: Rats on your singing duet no longer being in demand; can't see what age has to do with it?

Who designs these stores with the Machiavellian bathroom designs? Seriously, my dogs could conjure up a more public friendly design; pffft! And healthy teens in a handicapped stall? There oughta be a fine. I'd be happy to hand them out.
 
I hope your poor foot is feeling somewhat better today after that nightmare, supermarket bathroom trek?
 
I took an Oxy and am feeling a lot better. What's really strange is that every time I put my foot down, it turns reddish/purple. Since I'm just recently out of the cast, I have no idea if it's been like this the whole time or not. Once I elevate it again, it goes back to an almost normal color, though still a little darker than my other one.

Many times when I'm waiting for the handicapped stall, a perfectly healthy looking young person walks out and then looks at me like I'm in the way. I have to admit though, that a few times the person coming out of it would apologize. Until you're handicapped, you don't realize that a handicapped person needs that stall. It seems like even in an empty bathroom, most ladies will go to the larger handicapped stall. They must want the larger space. I'd be OK with a smaller stall if they'd just have hand rails in all of them!

It felt SO good to finally get my foot in a shower this evening! It had been over 5 weeks since that foot had that wonderful spray hitting it. That even helped to get off some of that peeling skin! It doesn't look so gross now!
 
@sistersinhim said: Until you're handicapped, you don't realize that a handicapped person needs that stall. It seems like even in an empty bathroom, most ladies will go to the larger handicapped stall.
GUILTY AS CHARGED!
 
Darn it with the location of the bathroom! But I am glad you are feeling better!! And congrats on the shower and scratching!! [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm no doctor, but perhaps the foot discoloration when placing weight on it is just the blood rushing to the still injured area? Weight removed, foot happy and no need for the blood rush? Naturally, I could be all wet. Hopefully someone with expert medical knowledge can answer this for you.

As for bathroom stalls, yes, handrails for all! How about larger stall for all as well? We might as well go whole hog here in our list of demands.:snork:
 
I'm no doctor or nurse either, but I was thinking it's the blood rushing to the area because you're putting weight on it, it's being moved, and healing. Just like the scar on my TKR does - after exercise or walking, it's darker than when it's just being elevated or relaxing.

Glad you're recovery from the trip to the bathroom and the peeling of skin/itching!! :)
 
The color change is normal. I have had the same thing happen in my knees until I've gotten a few months or so into recovery. It is caused by increased blood flow to the area once your foot is lower than the rest of your body. It should lighten after your elevate it.
 
Yes, like Marian, my TKR changed color when I stood on it for longer than a few minutes. Your injured area isn't used to being down and taking on weight.
 
Thank you, ladies. That eases my mind. I sort of thought that was what was happening, but wanted to be sure. The day I fell, the whole area turned blood red. That means my body starting the healing process immediately! In Psalm 139:14, David says, "We are fearfully and wonderfully made!". Isn't that the truth!

I made it to SS and church on my walker today, and even taught SS. I still have some brain fog and tiredness, but got through it. This is the most I've walked yet. I took a Tramadol before we left, then 2 Tylenols right before church. I did OK! I'm a little uncomfortable right now, but not bad. I am healing! Now, to get back to driving! It won't be soon enough for me. I won't have a ride to church next Sunday, so if I'm not driving, I'll have to miss it. Thank God there are some really good preachers on TV!
 
I had wondered the same thing. Thanks for bringing it up!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My extra walking showed up last night and this morning. The pain set in after about an hour in bed last night, to add to that, one of the kitties walked on my broken bones on my foot and sent me through the roof. I got up and took a motion-sickness pill and an Oxy. The pain got better, but Oxy doesn't let me sleep well. So, I woke up even few hours and read.

This morning my swelling is about double what it has been being. I'm spending most of the day elevating and medicating with the T/T combo. The foot and leg halfway up to the knee is also pretty warm.

I guess this ride will be like the trk ride...a rollercoaster!
 
@sistersinhim, about how far was that walk to church yesterday? I'm hoping less than ten minutes or so? Perhaps 2-3 blocks? Brava, on being willing and able to do it, but the payback last night and today is certainly unwanted; aargggh! :groan:

I know you'll handle it all with kid gloves today and hope you'll see improvements before tonight.

Interesting to me what you said about sleeping and the Oxy! Last night was my first bedtime without any Oxy. Guess what? I slept for 7, uninterrupted hours, a *first* since my surgery! Typically, I've been in the 4-5 hour range of night sleep. I really wonder if the Oxy has been responsible on some level?

Oh, I know you saw stars when that kitty stepped on your bad foot; ugh! I had one dog mishap like that on my quad, but thankfully, just the one; phew!
 
Back
Top Bottom