Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Some docs believe NSAIDS delay healing and others don't. When I had foot reconstruction, i asked to go back on Diclofenac afterwards. My surgeon, the chief of orthopaedics at the local university hospital, was fine with me going back on them.
 
I wish I knew the answer. I would love to go back on them. I knew they were helping, but I hadn't realized just how much! I ask about this Wednesday afternoon among lots of other questions.
 
Hi Paula,
Just wanted to thank you for the kind words and encouragement these past few weeks, particularly as I've just learned, from reading back on your thread, about your current predicament! keeping you in my prayers!
 
@keefsmom, thank you so much for your prayers. My emotions have been swinging back and forth terribly. I do, so much, need everyone's prayers.

If anyone knows of a good way to get around besides a wheelchair, crutches or knee scooter, please give me your suggestions.
 
@sistersinhim, have cortisone injections worked for you in the past? I only ask because they never did anything for me, so I felt I exposed myself to unnecessary side-effects for naught. Hopefully, that hasn't been your experience!
 
@Pheebs52, the last two I had in my right knee would work only a day or two. I haven't had one in the old, left knee for years, and they did use to work. What side effects did you have with the shots? The first day or two I usually hurt really badly, and had flushing from the shot, but that's all I remember.
 
@sistersinhim, I had the side effects you mentioned and really bad insomnia for about 2 months. I was also concerned about the shots destroying cartilage. I do wonder if they hastened the need for a TKR, but that's unanswerable and pointless to ponder since it's now done. If I had received good benefits, I may have overlooked the side-effects, but I really didn't get any benefit. That said, I know some people do, so we're all different, eh?
 
That's a very interesting article, thanks Josephine! I've had cortisone injections in the lumbar spine, trochanteric bursa and knees. All were very helpful except the knees. I never understood why, but this article provides some enlightenment.
 
@Pheebs52 I'm going to ask my doctor about the trochanteric bursa next appointment. I had problems with it before my surgery and now it has flared up again. Hope I can get an injection.
 
sistersinhim - I am so sorry for the latest setback. Remember, this will pass. In the meantime, I send healing thoughts to you.
 
I'll be praying about whether or not to get a shot in my old knee. I'm hesitant because it will leave my only walking leg very painful for a couple of days before it gets relief. I guess it will depend on what my OS says Wednesday about how much longer I'll be NWB on my foot/ankle. @Josephine, thank you for the article. It has already helped me and others!
 
@flyaway79, I developed trochanteric bursitis post THR and the cortisone shots, along with stretches, really worked well for me. Without the shots, I couldn't have done the stretches. Hope you'll be able to get one and get the same relief!
 
I get a little less relief from the cortisone shots each time, but I can still count on 8 - 10 weeks. I see quite a few in my future since my non op leg arthritis pain is flaring up as I become more active. seriously considering doing my other knee sooner than later now...as someone pointed out on another thread, doing both in same calendar year will save me significant $$. and although I still have many months of recovery ahead, I am loving the absence of arthritis pain in my new knee.
 
@keefsmom, I have the same dilemma, though so far, the other knee has been a trooper through this. On the other hand, maybe I'll croak before I ever need it done? JK, sort of.:snork:
 
Today's another OS visit for my foot/ankle. I sure hope I get out of this cast. I would love to be able to give my leg and foot a much needed scratch. Oh, and not to mention a bath! It's only been a month today that I broke them, (seems much longer!), so I doubt he'll let me weight-bare yet. I don't know if they have the boot at the office or not. If not, I'll have to get a prescription for one. That would mean another appointment for them to cut off the cast and put on the boot. I guess I'll know when I know!

It's feeling much better, except for when storms are coming. Boy, is it a weather predictor! OUCH! Much worse than knees. But, praise God, the aching is a lot better, otherwise!

My poor old, left knee and hip are really complaining about all the extra work they've had to do. If I have to still be non weight-baring I will request a shot in my knee. My new knee was really complaining Monday, so I thought I'd try something. I got on my recumbent bike and rode slowly and carefully for 10 minutes. No more pain in my new knee! It wants to be used! Now, when it complains, I just get on the bike for a few minutes. I can't wait to walk on it again! But, I expect my injuries will be really painful for a while once I can walk. I will follow the BS guidelines for a tkr rehab. I already looked up and found the exercises I'll need to do to gather strength and flexibility, so no PT.
 
@sistersinhim, I'm sending up a prayer and a wish the cast comes off and a walking boot is available in the office for you today! :angel:
 
Praise God, Hallelujah, Yippee, Woohoo!!! :happydance::yes!::dancy::spin: Do you all have the idea that I'm happy! Yep! Very happy! The OS had the cast cut off and I'm in a walking boot. I have been allowed for partial weight-baring!

I will take it very slow. The wheelchair will still be my main mode of transportation for the next few days. I will use the walker while putting just a little bit of weight on my foot. I don't expect it to be easy or fast or pain-free, but I am free to go for it at my own pace. God is so good! Thank you everyone that has been praying for me. they worked! Why should I be surprised? HE proves it over and over again!
 
Back
Top Bottom