TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I am in the wheelchair, but there are places where the chair can't go. That's when I have to use the walker. Thank you for the suggestions and the hugs!
 
@BossK, I stepped in a hole, rolling my ankle inward and falling directly on my new knee. It was a big ouch!
 
Paula, since three weeks after my second TKR, the only thing I've used to when I've been achy is a blend of Frankincense, Copaiba, and Idaho Blue Spruce essential oils. It's done well. I took it a couple times a day at first, and now I may take it a couple times a month at most.
@PolarBear60, Is this a rub or do you drink it? Where do you get these ingredients?
 
@Josephine or other nurses, since being off of the Diclofenac, my old knee is really acting up since all my weight is on it. I see my OS Wednesday. Will a shot in it slow down the healing in my ankle/foot? Tramadol and Tylenol is helping, but my supply is running low. Who knows if he'll give me more.
 
@VW54, thank you so much. Prayer works! I have found that over and over again to be true!
 
So sorry to hear your knee is stiffening up on you. Have you tried moist heat? You are well out from surgery and the swelling of recovery. Maybe some gentle heat will help relax your knee and give you relief. I will of course also send prayers!
 
@sistersinhim I am so sorry to hear you are having troubles. I have done lots of shots in the knee. I was getting them once every three months there at last. It is my understanding that type of shot will not slow down the healing process of your ankle or foot. Sending lots of prayers your way!!
 
@sistersinhim, I'm so sorry to hear about your new aches and pains; aarggh! Hopping around like that sounds nightmarish; just dreadful. No wonder everything hurts! Sending prayers for some pain-free days ASAP!
 
Thank you so much, ladies! This is a huge test, for sure. But, I'm closer to the end than I was yesterday! Now, that I'm able to lift my foot without pain, I can bend my knee more, making it less sore. These new knees want to be used!

I probably will try the shot Wednesday. I've had plenty of shots in the past, but never having broken bones at the same time!
 
I have broken my ankle and fractured my leg. I twisted in not watching where I was going. I was in a hurry. It was about 4 years ago. Same leg as the shots went in. I was doing the shots in the knee then about every 6 months. I didn't have any problems at all. Was out of the cast and back at work in 6 weeks.
 
Paula, I don't know the answer about having a shot in the old knee. Some of it must be absorbed, or else the surgeons wouldn't recommend no shots for at least 3 months before having a TKR. However, if it's a cortisone shot that is a different medication from the NSAIDS like Diclofenac.

I hope your surgeon will give you some more pain relief.
 
@Teri59, Wow we! 6 weeks?! Of course, you were 14 years younger than I am today. I don't see me weight bearing for another 2-4 weeks. Hopefully, I'm just being pessimistic. Maybe at least I can get this hard cast off so I can wash my foot. Did you foot peel? Mine is going crazy peeling! It's so gross!

@Celle, my OS didn't even tell me that my Diclofenac would slow down my bone healing. I learned that here. I don't know if I trust him to give me a harmless shot or not.
 
Let's hope Josephine can give you a definitive answer, then!

I can't use NSAIDS and I'm glad. It seems to me that many doctors hand them out routinely, as if they were sweets, and don't stop to consider the dangers.

Recently, my husband had a procedure to look down his gullet into his stomach. He was told that he had a lot of inflammation and a small stomach ulcer. When I went to pick him up from the hospital, I looked at his discharge prescriptions and he had been prescribed Ibuprofen and Codeine by the anaesthetist. Bad idea, since NSAIDS can cause stomach bleeding!

I chased up the surgeon, showed him the prescription and said "Do you really want him to take this, when he has a stomach ulcer?" He said "Oh no! The anaesthetist writes those prescriptions routinely." "Then you might need to have a word with him," said I.
 
Yes @sistersinhim it did peel and stink. My whole leg did up to my knee. They also gave me a walking boot.
It helped me keep the ankle straight for a time. You might consider going to a doctor that specializes in arthritis in the knee. They would do and know more about the shots and that kind of care. But not to upset your OS.
 
This OS also does knee replacements, too, so he should know about the shots. I just want to have plenty of knowledge if I request a shot. I'm afraid I've already delayed my bone healing some by being on the Diclofenac for 3 weeks after my breaks. I certainly don't want to do anything else to slow it down more! I want to use my new knee again. I love it!
 
Back
Top Bottom