Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Thanks KarriB, I won't. I have learned my lesson too many times visiting that ODIC! I certainly don't want to go there anymore!
 
Ya I started lap swimming about 2 1/2 years ago, as my knee was deteriorating, it became the only exercise I could do. I started with 1/4 mile, but in a few weeks I was up to a mile. I swim with mask, snorkel, and music in my ears. I get into my own little world and the time just goes.
 
My docs and the PTs who worked with me were amazed by my flexibility. They'd maneuver my leg from the hip just to see how far it would go, then determined I did yoga. It was quite a sight, with everyone gathered around. When I told them I swam they all nodded their heads and said swimmers are very flexible. My docs all want me to keep swimming. Between that and my bike I've kept my BP at 110/75. Tonight I'm beat after 30 laps.
 
Whooohoo @KarriB , go you! I've always said, nothing hurts when you are in water. Do you listen to music when you swim? I have found music just perfects the experience.
 
@dianehelen music makes everything better, my favorite form of stress therapy and if you have a glass of wine while listening to it even better :)
 
Paula, did it go well on Wednesday? I'm hoping to get in the pool for the first time in another 9 days, wondered what you are doing now and how it feels after.
 
Hi there @greatlakes, I haven't been back to the Y since Monday. We had terrible storms Wednesday morning and the knee was still sore, too. Our weather was still bad yesterday, so I stayed in.

I finally got back out this morning and made my weekly shopping trips to Sam's and Walmart. Sometime last night I turned over on my tummy and slept for a while, which flared some pain in my knee today, so I put on the TENS machine that Josephine suggested. It did nothing and maybe even aggravated it, so I was ready for my ice when I finally got back home! We had a concert to go to tonight that a local band put on which lasted over two hours. It was fantastic, but the knee didn't like sitting that long. The travel time was almost an hour each way, so again, My Brat was ready for ice! I'm glad I don't have to get up early tomorrow morning. I'm usually in bed by 9:30! But, the ice fells SO good. It is much better than drugs! I will update tomorrow and let yaw know how My Brat does tonight after such a busy day and a long night with my knee down.
 
Like you I went to a community theater that put on "Fiddler on the Roof." It was fantastic for a group of amateurs but very long. I am just winding down with a glass of wine. I walked over 8,000 steps. I just checked my fitbit and it said 0. A new day has begun. I hope I can sleep in tomorrow/today. During the concert Lady Mary started doing some zingers but I just told her to be quiet and enjoy the musical.
 
Shoot, I forgot to check mine before midnight. I assume is was close to what yours was. I'm looking forward to hitting my 10,000 steps again. I haven't been to do that since the surgery. My Brat was having some shooting pains tonight at the concert, but no zingers. I had enough to those yesterday to last a week! I am still icing now. Now about you, are you icing? It helps me so much! I was hoping the TENS would. I used one after my patellectomies and it helped a lot. But, not so today.
I am going to try and get some sleep shortly, but it appears that my surgical leg is trying to get the RLS. I hope not. It'll get that about once or twice a week and it will take forever to go away. My PA suggested heat, but it did no good. It's just takes time. Everyone have a good night's sleep!
 
To answer your question about ice, I ice after I have a workout or if the knee feels like it is more swollen or hurts going downstairs. I don't ice at night. There are some days I don't ice at all. At this point it doesn't seem to make much of a difference with my knee. There are times when my knee isn't even warm. I've had 6K steps for my goal since I got the Fitbit. It will be awhile before I can comfortably get 10K. I wish you well in reaching it soon! This week I was reading about general anesthetic and read that 2/3 of the people after major surgery gain 14 pounds! They don't know why. I've gained about five and want to stop there. It is such a struggle to keep the weight down.
 
I certainly can relate with you and the weight gain. I barely ate anything except ice cream and mixed nuts for at least 6 weeks after my surgery, and not much of that. Once I started enjoying food again, I haven't stopped eating and have gained 4 pounds. I am upset with myself for doing that. I had done so well before the new knee and had lost about 17 pounds. I do not want to put that back on!

My Brat showed her anger last night after my day and evening last night. I iced as shortly after I got back home, so I'm sure it would have been even worse without the ice. My swelling is up 3/4", so I know she's unhappy. I'm icing right now. This should calm her way down. Neither knee has liked being down for a while in at least 20 years, so it's nothing unusual. But, once My Brat is healed I expect her to not care about that anymore!

It will be quite a while before I hit 10,000 steps again, but I'm getting up in numbers every week. One day! Each painfree step I take is a blessing!
 
I've been getting caught up on your progress and am so happy for that great Flexion you've achieved!
:yay:
I'm also experiencing fluctuations in extension. With the pain I now have in October knee, I can't walk much. I don't think I walk enough to get the heel to toe rhythm. My OS said soft tissue healing takes around 6 months to heal so maybe when we are 6 months out the extension will remain constant. Here's to being 6 months out!
:roseshwr:
 
Back
Top Bottom