TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I thought I'd give an update on My Brat. She is doing well, for the most part. I'm able to go up and down the steps foot over foot now, if I'm not carrying anything and can hold on to the rails. Days when I do too much, she rebels, but not as bad as in the past. I'm having more better days now and am looking forward to getting back to normal. I am still icing every day, but have completely stopped at night. One thing is still concerning me. My extension has not come back to 0 like it was a month ago. I can get my whole hand under my knee, which I couldn't do last month. Of course, I'm doing more strenuous things now. Just Monday I sat on the deck and put a cargo carrier together. I got all my tools together, or so I thought, so once I got down on the deck I could stay down. This would be the first time getting all the way down for me! Well, I ended having to get up 3 times. It is painful for both knees to do that. But, I was able to do it!! Slowly My Brat is getting stronger week by week!

If the weather holds I, along with Marilyn, are planning on taking the Scamp up to Shenandoah National Park and camp at Loft Mountain. There are no electrical plugins except at handicapped sites, which usually are always taken, so I won't have ice. That has me apprehensive! I haven't gone a day without icing yet. And I'll be walking up and down trails. My OS sent me in another prescription for Tramadol to take with me. I have some Oxy left, but it keeps me up and I can't sleep if I take it at night. I will take it only during the day and use the Tramadol at night.

We all need to pray Matthew away out into the ocean away from all land!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Paula, I miss reading your updates. It seems like you are doing well, I hope you are getting your beauty sleep at night, it seems like your "Brat" is behaving herself, that is great news. I am sure your extension will come back, maybe you still have some swelling.

I hope the weather holds out so that you can keep your plans this weekend, sounds like lots of fun.

Matthew need to be a good boy and go away, enough damage already!!!

I hope you continue to do well my friend!!!
 
@uva55, so good to hear from you. My knee is still 1 1/2 bigger than the other knee, so I do still have swelling. But, it seems to me that it has been swollen for years, but I did have a - extension. I'm putting my foot on a doubled pillow on my recliner to try and straighten out my knee more.

My camping trip is for the 13th, 14th, & 15th. We knew this weekend was out because of Matthew.

Thank God Matthew hasn't bothered your family in Cuba. The news for it sounds better this morning, but we must keep on praying it away!
 
I'm smiling at you sitting on the deck with your tools! You are amazing.

A camping trip sounds divine. Can you take some of those gel
packs that you activate by breaking/shaking. It might ease your mind to have a couple "just in case". I get mine at CVS or grocery and keep them in the car for "need to ice" emergencies.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Such great progress and you're beginning to live your life again. :loveshwr:
 
@sheliac, that is a great idea! I will check of Walmart and see if they have it. If not, I'll have time to get a few from Amazon. Have you tried them before? How long do they last?
 
What a great update & a camping trip too! Have a fun time! So happy you're getting back to normal life activities! Hope the extension comes soon!
 
Sister, I have used them in the movie -- wrapped in a towel they last about 45 minutes. I get the small ones so I can put one on top and one under the knee.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Good idea. I bought a bunch at the drug store to have in case of long car rides. Haven't tried them out yet in terms of how long they last, but a great idea in emergency. It's what the coaches use on the field in case of injuries during sports.
 
I found a case of them from Amazon, (where else!), and I'll be having 24 packs coming in. That should take care of me for 4 days! Thank you again, @sheliac for the suggestion!
 
Paula, just wanted to say hi, I hope you are doing well, having fun and "the Brat"'is behaving :)
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Suz
Hi Clara, @uva55. It's doing about the same discomfort wise. If I do too much she rebels a bit, but not as bad as a month ago! I'm going up and down steps the adult way as long as I can hang on to the rails! It is getting stronger and I'm getting more secure with her. I have to ice everyday, still. But, I am pretty active. Nighttime icing stopped a couple of months ago. If I have a really bad one, I'll grab an ice pack out of the freezer and sleep with that. I'm having more good times than bad times now and will soon forget about watching out for her, I hope. It will be wonderful to completely forget about this new knee once in a while! The left one shows it's jealousy every once in a while, but nothing I can't handle. I'm really pleased how well it has done! I was afraid it'd really go out when the right one was replaced, but, so far, so good and I think the worse is over with. I'm hoping to hold off replacing that one as long as I can!

We are planning on camping in Shenandoah National Park at Loft Mountain this Thursday through Sunday. I will have to be careful hiking, but want to do as much of it that I can! That has always been one of my most favorite things to do! There are only a few handicapped spots at the campground that has electric hookups, and I'm hoping I can get one for my ice machine. If not, I have bought a case of the ones that you shake and they get cold. I've never used them and have no idea how well they will work. I'll let you guys know what I think of them. There is no cell phone service up there, so I'll have no internet unless I go to town, so I'll be off of here for those days we're up there. I'll go into withdrawal!
 
I'm so glad you are doing so well and the knee is behaving, I also have to ice once in a while,but I can't complain.

It's funny my husband has some arthritis in the knees and he hurt himself playing football this weekend, when we got home he asked me to "hook him up" with whatever I had that would give him relief, I gave him Tramadol, ibuprofen, my knee brace and a ice pack...he said he needed a new knee, I told him, sorry budy I'm attached to the only new knee in the house. He must be in pain because this man does not like to take meds at all.

I know you will have a great time this weekend, I hope you have good weather. Have fun and stay pain free:)
 
I'm so happy for you. Perfect time of the year to be in the mountains. Hiking is what my bad knees caused me to miss the most. But now we get that huge gift back.

Wrap those insta-packs in a cloth and they last longer. And don't forget the freezing mountain streams. If you can re-chill an instapack in a fast running stream (protect with plastic in case of contamination before you put it on) I bet that would work. I used to sit in streams to ease my knees when we hiked. Husband would have to help me up and down, but it kept me going.

Do you have trek poles? I used two as my hiking days got more and mor painful . The titanium ones are best, IMO-- pricey but last a lifetime.

Prayers for a safe and spirit-renewing journey.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@sheliac I do have the poles. I also have the forearm crutches and a couple of canes. So, hopefully I have it all covered! Thanks for the suggestion about the streams. Unfortunately, they are way too far away and I could never reach them at this time! But, I can wrap them in a cloth. The last time I checked, it is supposed to be in the low 30s Thursday and Friday nights, so I can refreeze them outside! It will probably be mid morning before it will be warm enough to hike. I have a Kindle with lots of good books, so I will not get bored!
@uva55, oh your poor husband. I hope his arthritis calms down. Sometimes we think we can do things we used to do a few years ago, and then our bodies remind us we aren't kids anymore. It's a real bummer. But, we could be in so much worse shape than what we are. Let your husband fall in love with ice like a lot of us have. He'll understand then why you do it!
 
I got back from the camping trip yesterday afternoon. The weather was perfect and the leaves just starting to change up there. For three days I was able to walk over 10,000 steps and the fourth day over 14,000! I was able to do only one trail. It is called the Blackrock trail and was said the be fairly easy. It was outstanding. The rocks in the mountains had been broken all up from where Africa and America bumped into each other eons ago. I have never seen anything like it before. Marilyn was able to climb up all the way to the top of the rocks while I watched. Next year maybe I can do it! All the rest of my walking was around the campground, staying on the blacktop. There are lots of hills and going up isn't bad. It's coming down the hills that are bad. It hurts both knees and I'm afraid of them giving out. I tried the trekking poles the first day and didn't feel secure with them so I switched to the forearm crutch. That was much better and I could almost walk at a normal pace. My first night was rough, but the next two weren't bad at all. But, now that I'm home, My Brat is really showing her anger. I slept very little last night because of both knees hurting and the left hip. I'm still doing my normal things today, but not too much of anything else. Icing and elevating is due!

Though I'm in pain now, the trip was worth it! Oh, and I had an answer to prayer! I ask God to please give me a sight with electric. Out of 199 camping sights only two are handicapped and have electric available. I got one of them! I was able to make ice and use my cube every single day and night! God is so good!
 
@sistersinhim , great to hear you had such a good time and managed to do so much walking. Hope fully a few days of rest and ice and those pains will lessen. You are an intrepid explorer :hiking:
Tabby xxx
 
Sounds like you had an awesome trip. I'm impressed with all the walking you did. Since I am only three weeks out I love reading about all the fun adventures I may have waiting in the next several months.
 
Back
Top Bottom