TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I found it actually easier to swim backstroke in the pool. For some reason when I tried freestyle I felt like my leg was just weighing me down. Every time you go you'll get stronger and stronger.
 
@newlybionic, I will try the backstroke next time. I did alright with the regular alternating arms strokes, but believe it or not, my arms are already sore! And that was just for 7 minutes. I am so glad I read in here to be very careful of the pool, that you can overdo it really quickly. Tomorrow will tell if this short time saved me extra pain!
 
It feels totally weird to flutter kick with two different knees. I feel like my natural left knee is a better kick, but it gets stuck in a position sometimes and I squeal underwater. I'm swimming tomorrow. It took me a few weeks to build up to 15 laps, but remember I was 8 months out. So take it easy. :swim:
 
@mamazipp, I love your new avatar. You are beautiful!

I'm taking today off. The back of my new knee leg is quite uncomfortable, and my old knee is showing herself, too. So today's an icing day, except for doing the normal running of the house. Who would have thought that 4 months off of swimming would leave me so sore when I finally go back to it. I am so thankful I didn't do it any longer than I did! Thank you, Bonesmart friends, for keeping me straight! We all have to remember that less is more!
 
I am glad you are resting and icing the knee today:ice: I cringed yesterday when I read on your post that you were planning to do yard work today. That baby needs TLC:flwrysmile:
 
@uva55, oh no, no yard work today! Just some laundry and taking care of the kitties! My knees say that's enough! I bet you're getting excited about your trip! How are you feeling? Is your rash gone?
 
I am excited about the trip, I have to pack tonight, I was going to do it last night, but my son came by with his two little ones so by the time my son and my dad went home it was like 8 p.m. and I was crazy tired.

My knee is much better, when I got home I took some lavender essential oil and coconut oil and applied to the knee, the rash is almost gone this morning, no longer red or burning. I applied the oils again this morning, maybe it will be all gone by tomorrow. I am sure there is something in the spray version of the sunscreen that bothered the sensitive skin around the knee...never again!!!
 
It's a shame we have to live and learn with these knees, but at least we are learning! I'm so glad it's better this morning.

Happy packing. That's half the fun!
 
Hope you are enjoying this beauty day. Is the knee satisfied with the rest/icing :)?


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I had to take an Oxy this morning to be able to do anything productive. The back of the surgical thigh and knee is quite uncomfortable to put any weight on it. It will get better. Thank God it always does! I just have to baby it today. That's OK, I met two goals in the last 4 days! There is nothing to complain about! I am learning how to recoup from bad days and how to not get there in the first place. My Brat is finally giving me more good days than bad ones!
 
I am so glad you are listening to your baby - rest is just the ticket!!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
If I don't listen to her she will get me back! She's just mad today. If I hadn't paid attention to her she would have gotten really angry! I rubbed some Flex-All on the back on my thigh and it has helped some. At least there's nothing much I have to do today so I can take it easy and baby my baby. She's been a good girl this past week!
 
! I made it to the Y. I was in the water only 7 minutes.
Thats a great step! I soooo miss my swimming. Did being in the water feel good? Do you have a hot tub at the Y? I see OS Monday and that is my first question, can I swim. Before surgery I swam a mile(32 round trip laps) 3x a week at my gym pool. I hope to start back if Im lucky to do maybe 4 round trip laps, but of course LOG will have the final say about that.
 
The water felt wonderful! There is a hot tub there, but a lot of times it's bubbly looking and I wouldn't get in. With all the different bodies getting in it, I'm concerned about my low resistance right now and will stay out. They also have a sauna, which normally feels great. And a stream room which I can't handle! Your swimming is outstanding! I've done 8 full laps at my best time. The knees couldn't stand anymore than that. Hopefully, when I finally have two new knees I'll be able to increase those laps quite a bit.
 
My YMCA has an aqua jog class I'm thinking of taking twice a week. Only problem is that it's at 8:00 in the morning. Since retirement I'm lucky to be out of bed by 8:00. I just came back from 30 laps.
 
Wow, you girls are putting me to shame! I must improve! Our Y also has aqua classes and they are usually packed! I just get in the lap swim area and do my thing. I might join the class in a month or so. That would work all my muscles. I have to be careful of the left knee, 'Little Sister'. She wants to show herself now. But, the pool is the easiest place to exercise. And it feels so good! Hopefully, I can get back tomorrow and stay in 10 minutes!
 
I'm nearly three years out and didn't do many laps at first. Don't overdo!
 
Back
Top Bottom