TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Yes, when I was in my 20s I couldn't wear them without my ears getting infected. I told my doctor this, but he blew it off. I have no idea if any of my earrings have nickel now or not. Most of them I wear now are pretty inexpensive, but who knows what they are made of. I just found that my implant is cobalt and chromium. It sounds like I have nothing to worry about! Nickel wasn't mention as part of it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It may have been because were inexpensive. If you're able to wear 14k gold with no problem chances are you aren't allergic to nickel. There's more nickel in 14k than other golds such as 18 or 20k.
 
I have no problem at all wearing 14K gold earrings so it sounds like I'm in the clear! But, I did have to search for nickel-free earrings when I was young. Maybe I outgrew it.
 
Oh great. When I looked each mineral up it didn't mention nickel. Now, I can worry again.
 
At this point post op I would not think that an allergy to your implant is likely at all. I remember another member who developed problems fairly early on and never made as much progress as you have already done. You are doing great.
 
@newlybionic am I right in thinking the metal allergy gave this member more swelling and limited ROM? I seem to recall this.
 
Yes that did happen and eventually her knee started just giving out and she was falling frequently.
 
I am sure you will be fine. Put that nickel thing back into the 30 minute worry chamber! Just don't kill yourself trying to get every weed in the yard. Have fun!
 
Good morning all. I wish I hadn't read the last email before bed that @mamazipp wrote that said that cobalt and chromium contain nickel. It took quite a while for me to go to sleep, but once I did I had a better night last night and am feeling better this morning. I'm still sore, but nothing like I was yesterday morning. It's a good thing cause the rain has stopped and the yard work awaits! I will have to take lots of breaks and come in and ice several times. I have found that that's the best way to get it done.

I'm going to try really hard to not worry about the nickel. Like I said in a previous post, I searched and didn't see that those metals contained nickel. I must not have searched enough. Probably like Amy Jo's, it contains such a small amount that it's not even mentioned. We are told to not worry about tomorrow, that today has enough worries of it's own! I'm going to hard to do just that. To take each day as a gift and enjoy it to my best. Even while doing yard work! It is such a blessing that God sent us the rain that we so badly needed, and to have to work because of it is a blessing to be able to do so! Enough preaching! Love you all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love your blessing list!

I never thought I'd envy yard work, but here I am [emoji1]. Don't overdo!

Sister, that 30-minute-worry box thing is really helping me. I even jot my worry down on a list so I can be assured not to forget a crucial worry! I schedule it for 4 PM now (not close to bedtime). I always follow it with a prayer session. I know it sounds silly, but it's the first thing I've found that works. I was really considering a psych doc (it got out of control after surgery) before I found the are research about that technique .

Happy weeding!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@sheliac, I love your handling of your worries and following them with prayer! I'm going to do that and then turn them over to God. Getting them out of my head will be half of the success of them! Thanks for the idea!

Oh, it will be a very slow string trimming today with lots of ice breaks! I don't want My Brat to pitch another fit!
 
Oh, Paula, I am so, so, sorry for causing you this worry! I never meant to cause that. I feel just awful. Please, forgive me. At this point I think allergy is highly unlikely. The issues people report on this site re nickel allergy usually start early and seriously. And if you can wear cheap earrings now you are likely not allergic.

Put it in the "no more worry" compartment.
 
@mamazipp, please don't feel bad for giving me the information that I need to know! I know you have only my good in mind and never meant to upset me. You know how moody these tkrs can make us and my emotions were all over the place that day! Give yourself a big hug from me and know that I love you and your sweet nature! Thank you for telling me the truth! And you are right, I can wear cheap earrings for days and they don't bother me anymore like they did when I was a kid.

Well, I did ALL the string-trimming and cut the grass yesterday! It looks so nice out there this morning! It took me from after breakfast til after dinner! I took lots of ice breaks of at least an hour each. This morning I've just a little more soreness, but not bad at all! I'm icing first thing again, and will go outside and spray some vinegar. It is a beautiful cool morning and I want to take advantage of it before it gets hot this afternoon. I just might try riding the bike to the mailbox later on, which is about 1/3 a mile away! We'll see if I have the courage to do it! That and swimming are on my small bucket list from this surgery! I've already met so many of them that I'm rejoicing! I'm coming up the steps the adult way now almost all the time while holding on to the rails. Going down is slow, and I hold on really tightly, but I can do that, too! Yippee!
 
Good for you, Paula. You are a fine example of what can be done without PT!
 
Sister, that's some serious WORK. I bet you feel proud. Woot!

I hope you get some rest time this weekend. Enjoy!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
:wowspring: :dancy:, I did it. I rode my bike up to the mailbox and back! Marilyn went with me to make sure I was OK. It hurt my knee when I first got started, but by the time I got back, not so much. You know what I'm doing now! I'm icing! Yippee! Another small bucket list done!
 
Back
Top Bottom