TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@Floridagal, good that you can get back to golfing. Yesterday and today we have finally been blessed with rain, so I'm inside and the grass and weeds are growing! When the sun comes back up there will be heck to pay out there!
 
I am so glad I have an all natural landscape. Once a month I have a man come and trim my ground cover and pick up dead wood. He only charges $45 for 2 of them working 1 1/2 hours. I admire the work you put in. I bet your yard is beautiful. Mine is "rustic."
 
Mine's a jungle out there! Three males around the house - not one really wants to tackle it. So I guess I'll have to again.
 
Oh no, my yard is far from beautiful. I cut down all the irises and lilies. The roses are just coming back from the attacks of the Japanese beetles. I have to dig and separate a couple hundred irises soon, and before the rain the grass was stressed and has gone to seed needs cutting. And I haven't string trimmed in two weeks. I'll probably be singing the blues over the aches and pains on here for the next month or so! Not to mention all the pruning of the trees and bushes that needs doing. Oh man, I'm tired just thinking about it! Anybody want to buy a nice house and 5 acres in Virginia? I'm getting too old for all this! @birdwatchr, I know what you mean by having it all to do yourself. Some people just don't see what needs to be done and overlook it. The last time I had help I had asked my BBF to dig up road lilies that had taken over. That was a big help since I'm unable to use a shovel yet. But, the rest of the maintenance is on me. I'll have to do the next replacement in the fall when the yard won't keep me so busy. Of course, then it's firewood. Oh well, can't win!
 
Never ending battle. Oops, that's supposed to be never ending circle, isn't it? Lol. I'm waiting for cooler weather and hopefully mosquitoes to leave. You'd think granddaughter's daddy would come clean up around swing set so she can go out and play! You'd be thinking wrong!
 
I think battle is the correct word. We are battling every season. Of course, work is supposed keep us young. But, all it does is make me tired!
 
Yep. I am ready to retire, more and more each day. I'm ready to start doing "fun" things that I want to do. Hurts too much to do parts of my job now. Plus I don't have the patience for middle schoolers who don't follow directions.
 
Oh man, you have a bad age. They don't know if they're coming or going and are trying to spread their wings! I enjoy working with the 5-7 ages in Vacation Bible School. They try to please you at that age.
 
A couple of hundred irises? Wow!
Congrats on your ROM. That is great. You'll get the extension back. It's there. Mine was around 5 for the longest time, but it's now pretty much 0 all the time. It took 5 months I think, maybe more.
 
I wanted to mention to you, Paula, that I asked my OS about the nickel allergy. Like you, it's in the back of my mind as a worry. He said the nickel in my Stryker knee is only .2% and he has NEVER had any of his patients show an allergy and he has done well over 500 TKR. I've decided to stop worrying about that happening in the future. He did say to come back if I had sudden extreme swelling or unusual pain. Of course, I'd do that anyway. I hope you can put that worry behind you.
 
I have no idea how much nickel my implant has. I need to ask so I can have peace of mind about that. Today is a bad day. My night was more painful than normal and so is today. I went shopping, but only made it to Walmart. Sam's will have to wait until this weekend. It has been raining for 4 days, so that might have something to do with my discomfort, added to the last weekend walking in the mountains. I was so up about my walking the weekend Monday and Tuesday, then My Brat rebelled starting yesterday. Maybe I will wait to try riding my outside bike a week or so. My Brat needs some TLC right now to get her back to where she was before the trip. So, for all those coming up behind me, it's perfectly normal to have set backs with new and/or extra activities. Our knees have gone through their individual hell and have a whole lot of healing to do which will take a year or more. Please don't get discouraged. It's so easy to do, and I'm one of the worst for doing just that!
 
I hope you take the whole day to rest and ice. Yes, it is easy to get discouraged. Your posts are an inspiration -- I love that you share the ups AND the downs. It helps to know that we will all have downswings but will come right back.

I put that nickel worry on my "30 minute worry time" list. We can't do a thing about it and we don't have symptoms, so that has become a Serenity-prayer thing for me.

Tomorrow will be a better day.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@sheliac, tomorrow will most definitely be a better day! The sun is peeping through the clouds, my ice machine is running and I am feeling better already. Tomorrow, I'll worry about the yard work. Not today! I think what has me concerned about the nickel allergy is that it can take quite a while to show up. I have no symptoms now, but what about a year from now? I don't have to see my OS until next August, so I'll just try and not think about it at all. I want to enjoy my new knee as much as possible.
 
Did you do a nickle/metal allergy test pre op? When I saw OS #1 , the one I did not care for his assembly line approach & staff, one of his requirements was the metal allergy test. When I first saw OS #4, the winner of Diane' kneequest surgeon search, I asked about that and he said it's not an issue as the implant he uses was titanium and poly(something), no nickel

Hope you are feeling better today. I am doing the same as you today so " Have an ice day!" :rotfl::ice:
 
Paula, instead of worrying over this just call the OS office and ask what implant you have. I'm sure it's in your records and the office staff can let you know or fax it to you. Don't borrow trouble, I know that you know God is in control of everything, including what could happen a year from now. :yes:
 
Did you happen to get a card in the mail or anything? I got one 2 months after surgery. It looks like a credit card and was enclosed in a nice little plastic covering. It tells me what brand of knee I have (and that it is a knee replacement), and the date it was replaced, but that it will not help you get through the lines in an airport!!
 
@birdwatchr, no I haven't received a card stating that. I guess since it doesn't work at airports, they figured why bother. @KarriB, I know I have the DePuy Attune, but when I researched it I was unable to find out if it has any nickel in it. @dianehelen, I never had the nickel allergy test because my OS said he rarely had that problem. I did tape a 5 cent piece to my upper arm for a few days and nothing happened. But, who knows if a nickel contains any nickel anymore? My knee will be 4 months old a week from this Sunday, so it should be showing some kinds of symptoms by now. At least, I would have hoped it would! These ups and downs are related to my activities, so since I know the cause I'm not worried about it being a nickel reaction.
 
Do you have pierced ears and ever had a problem with earrings? You could experiment with earrings that have nickel in them.
 
Back
Top Bottom