TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I guess I misunderstood your earlier post. Cipro and Tramadol don't interact with each other as far as WebMD is concerned. Any side effect that a person has had is listed for each drug and I don't recall my patients having any real side effect but possibly some loose stools. How long do you have to take the Cipro for? It will usually clear up an UTI fairly quickly.
 
This was off of Drug.com:
Interactions between your selected drugs

Major
ciprofloxacin ↔ tramadol

Applies to:Cipro (ciprofloxacin) and tramadol

TraMADol may rarely cause seizures, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as ciprofloxacin may increase that risk.


And the side effects that really scared me: Ciprofloxacin may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon (the fiber that connects bones to muscles in the body), especially in the Achilles' tendon of the heel. This can happen during treatment or up to several months after you stop taking ciprofloxacin. Tendon problems may be more likely to occur if you are over 60.

With my history of torn tendons, I'm afraid of it. Plus the diarrhea I'm having. I called my doctor and asked him to fax in something else that doesn't have such side effects. All I know is I'm extremely tired. It might be from the Cipro or diarrhea or just the uti. I have a seven day prescription for it. @newlybionic, do you think I'm worrying needlessly?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@uva55, thank you so much. With all you got going on, you still are on here encouraging others. What a gift you are to us and your family!
 
When I checked on WebMD it showed no interaction. If you got them from the same pharmacy did they flag the interaction? I don't want to tell you to take something you found that info about as it would be yours and your doctor's decision. They also use Bactrim (a sulfa based med) for UTIs. I hope it is cleared up quickly and all of you is feeling better soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A UTI~~ugh! Hopefully the doc can switch the antibiotics & you can start feeling better. Usually when treating UTIs, the symptoms do go away within the first day, but make sure to finish the whole Rx of antibiotics to make sure the infection goes completely away. Praying you feel better!
 
@newlybionic, you are right. I'm going with WebMD, and will take my Tramadol/Tylenol tonight before bed to help with that restless leg! My doc knows what meds I'm taking and he wouldn't have given me something to hurt me. I think I panic way too easily. He must not have called another prescription in because I didn't get a text from Walmart about it. And the Cipro is working because I'm feeling better, just super tired and no appetite. The no appetite part is good! I've been overeating lately and gained some weight back. But, the loose stools side effect is aggravating. Hopefully, my body will adjust quickly.

Since I've never had a uti before, in the back of my mind I wonder if it could be a nickle problem showing up. I wish I'd never heard about that because it will always be a worry in the back of my mind.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@julesm86, I am feeling better, but I'll take all the meds. I don't want it to come back. It's not a good experience. Try sleeping when you feel like you have to go to the bathroom all the time. Not an easy thing to do! I've had to take only 1 of the uti pain pill today! I'm so thankful for that!
 
Since I've never had a uti before, in the back of my mind I wonder if it could be a nickle program showing up. I wish I'd never heard about that because it will always be a worry in the back of my mind.

Enjoy your knew, think how blessed you are to be feeling better, stop worrying about something that most likely will never happen :flwrysmile:
 
You are so right, Clara. Why can't I look at the positive instead of the 'what ifs'? I guess it comes from parents who were negative and looked the bad in everything. I have fought hard to get rid of that attitude, but when I'm feeling bad, it comes out. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

I looked up the interactions of Tramadol and my knew sleeping pill and their aren't any problems, so I took the sleeping pill. If I find I need the Tramadol later on, then it's OK to take it! I also looked up the symptoms of a uti, and tiredness is listed as a major one. So, that explains that! Once I get rid of this infection I should be feeling more energetic again. And that in turn will get rid of this depression. All will be good!
 
Anytime your body is fighting an infection you will be more tired than usual. Give it a few days and your energy level will get better.
 
I came home from the hospital with a UTI and took Cipro along with the Tramadol and Tylenol. Nothing bad happened to me but Cipro took care of the UTI. My PCP also told me to take Culturelle (over the counter) to get the good bugs back into my system. Good luck with the treatment. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I also worry about the nickel allergy. When I see my OS Sept. 20 I am going to ask him about it. I worry that it can pop up months or years later. I wish I knew about it before surgery.
 
I feel SO much better this morning! I'm actually getting some things done instead of sitting in my recliner all day! I might even get some more yard work done! I slept better, too, and that always helps. Sitting for 3 days allowed my knee's swelling to go down 1/2"! Unfortunately, I stepped wrong yesterday and it's sore today, but not too bad. I'm making ice now to set up in the ice machine. That always helps. I'm just so thankful I'm getting some energy back and not running to the bathroom every 20 minutes or so! And so far, the diarrhea is better. Everything is looking up this morning!
 
Glad you are feeling better. Now , dont take advantage of that, and do too much, we know your nature :egypdance:
 
@Floridagal, thank you for sharing your experience with me. It helped, along with Mariam's post, to ease my worrisome mind! I took a different sleeping pill last night, Temazepam, and fell asleep about 10pm. Unfortunately, the knee woke me up at 12:30 so I got up and took 100mg of Tramadol and 1000mg of Tylenol. I did fine. So bad side effects with taking all these meds together, thank God!

I told my doctor that when I was a teenager I couldn't wear earrings containing nickle so stayed away from those. He said that he'd had very few problems with his implants, and that it was something I shouldn't have to worry about. I taped a 5 cent piece to my upper arm for a few days and nothing happened. But, who knows if a nickle even contains nickle anymore! A few on this forum have had the allergy show up after a year or even more and that is scary. I'm afraid it will always be in the back of my mind if some new aliment shows up or my knee has a set back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dianehelen, how are you feeling today after that hell you went through yesterday afternoon? Were you able to sleep? Can you tell the staples and stitches are out?
Yes, ma'am, I will behave myself. I am going to save the outside work for tomorrow and just catching up on laundry. I'll let Roombi take care of the vacuuming! After all, that's what I bought it for!
 
Were you able to sleep? Can you tell the staples and stitches are out?
Actually had the best night sleep so far. I was very drained and tired from the torture session. But also I was given the ok to go back to my advil pm instead of tylenol pm, along with tramadol. I set out my 3am med set, but woke up at 8am, after going to sleep around 11:30, to see my 3am meds still sitting there. So first full night sleep since before surgery. Im still a bit sore from it, and hoping I dont start seeing drainage , as that was the start, after staple removal, that began my year long hip replacement infection nightmare. Trying to keep a good thought.
 
I'm so glad you are feeling better from the UTI. Those really wipe a person out.

I'm like you in that I tend to focus on the "what ifs" and I really miss out on enjoying the "now" because of that. Right now Im obsessing about DVT potential and could easily start in on the nickel allergy worry. But I'm not going there (having to sit on my hands to keep from googling it). We've got a new lease on life with our knees. We should enjoy our blessing and not borrow trouble (I think it was UVA who used that term with me and it really helped). It's hard not to worry when we've been programmed that way, but I'm trying!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
@sheliac, from what I remember reading, the symptom of a blood clot is the area is red and hot to the touch and very painful. You can always google it and find out. My calf was sore for at least a month. The first couple of weeks it was really painful to put any weight on it, but I didn't have to symptoms of a clot. It eventually went away. I've had that little worry about nickel allergy since even before the surgery. I wish it would go away!
 
Glad your UTI is being treated. You've never had the pleasure of a UTI? Lucky you! But thankfully easily cured. You are so busy with your daily routine but do give your body a rest now.
 
Back
Top Bottom