TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I'm counting on it! I've missed the whole summer, just about. But, it's been too hot to do anything outside anyway, for the most part. September should be starting to cool down some and I can enjoy being out there in God's country!
 
Paula I agree, your membership to that exclusive club is being cancelled, it's time to enjoy life and your new knee!!!!!
 
Paula your knee looks awesome - you can see the kneecap and shape!
 
@TML, I have no kneecap! That's a little bit of swelling. When my caps were removed in the early 90s, they had to shorten the patella tendons, so now there is no room to put kneecaps in my new knees. That's why my knees won't be as strong as those that have kneecaps. But, without the arthritis pain, I'll be able to work more on getting them as strong as possible.
 
I forgot you have no kneecaps - your knees are healing so well!
 
Yes, I am truly blessed! The day of rest yesterday has helped tremendously! I'm at least 50% better! My ODIC visits are getting shorter and shorter! Getting to know what causes My Brat to rebel is the key to staying out of that place. I know too many extension exercises causes a bad night and bad next day, so I've cut those back. Thanks to @newlybionic for pointing out that my bending from the waist is the same thing as extension exercises for me! Doing that for over an hour on Wednesday brought on another visit to that club. Now, I know not to do that for that long anymore. For some reason those extension exercises have caused me more pain that the flex exercises. Maybe that's because I did not realize that I was doing so many of them! I know when I bend my knee, but I didn't realize that I was doing those hamstring exercises when I was bending from my waist! This site has always helped me so much and still is! I'm addicted to it and to icing! Two good things to be addicted to!
 
I'm sitting in my chair watching the tube and looked down and I have my surgical knee over my other knee! That's a first since the surgery and I didn't even know I had done it and it didn't hurt at all! Another first! Yippee! Small steps are so encouraging!
 
I hope you are getting some sleep and are pain free...

Have a beautiful blessed Sunday!!!
 
It was a blessed day, after a bad night. This time it wasn't my knee. I just had a hard time falling asleep, then I didn't stay asleep; menopause? probably. Once I finally was sleeping good, my 20 year old cat decided she wanted my attention every hour or so. I finally got mad and threw a pillow at her and shut her out of my bedroom. I hate doing that to her, but hey, I needed a brain today!

I had to teach on one of my least favorite characters in the Bible today, Samson. I needed to cover 3 chapters in 45 minutes and everything flowed really well! The class helped me by participating, which I always need! My knee behaved, as I had it propped up on my cane. Once I got home I set up my ice machine and then ate lunch. It wasn't long before I fell asleep for at least 90 minutes! We had a 'welcome to our church' party this evening at church and I had to be there by 5pm and have been home now for a couple of hours. My knee is red and a little swollen, which is nothing unusual, but feels no worse for the wear! All in all, it has been a wonderful day and I feel truly blessed on how well My Brat behaved herself! Now, for a good night's sleep. But, I have no where I have to go in the morning so if I need to sleep in, so be it, I will! All my Bonesmart friends, I pray you have a really good night's sleep and wake up feeling much better tomorrow morning!
 
@TML and @KarriB, I just won the bids on 2 pairs of Vionic shoes. One a sneaker and one a Mary Jane. They should be here by Thursday. I'll let you know how I like them. If I do, I'll probably be selling some of my almost knew MBTs and then pick up some more Vionics. If they're anywhere near as good as they sound, I'll be thrilled.
 
I own three pairs of flip flops, one pair of slippers, one clog and a set of orthotics that I slip into my Skechers. Don't wear them all day to begin, just an hour or so at a time for the first week. My knee did feel strange when I began wearing Vionics.

My PT who was treating my plantar fasciitis told me not to wear shoes all day every day, he said it would make my arch/foot lazy and dependent on the support of the shoes. I've been following his advice and doing the stretches daily since March and the difference in my foot pain is amazing. I still have numbness in my heel which even bothers me in bed.
 
@KarriB, During the summer, when I come in the house, first off are my shoes! In the winter, I do have problems with cold feet, so I keep on really thick socks. My winter shoes have to be at least 1/2 size bigger to compensate for those socks. That's what I did with the two pair of Vionics, the sneakers are the larger of the two. Since I'm getting two pair for half than what a pair from their site costs, I can experiment. It sounds like I'll have to get used to these like I did with the MBTs. You wear them only a few hours each day for the first week, gradually increasing the time. @uva55, What is so different with the Vionics? The MBTs and Ryns are rockers and do take some getting used to.

After a really good and long day yesterday I thought I'd try the Ambient again last night. Before bed I took one of those and one Tramadol. Except for 1 trip to the bathroom I slept until 5:30! That's almost 7 hours! It has left me a little hungover this morning but, I didn't even wake up for a Tramadol at 3am! This is the best sleep I've had in probably years! I will be asking my PCP for a prescription when I see her again in mid September. Now, I know the knee is settling down enough that I can sleep through my med time! This is wonderful! What a blessing! But, I have to be sure to not overdo! I know me, and so do you guys, and once I'm doing good, I do tend to overdo. I have to stop that!

Marilyn is taking Friday and Monday off and we are planning on kayaking! Wish me luck. Getting in will be fine. Getting out of the boat will be a challenge, but I'm ready to try it. The forecasted weather says it's supposed to be cooler, so it should be really nice. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be ready to try bike riding yet. If I try it, it'll be on my driveway first! There is a wonderful state park that has taken an old railroad track and make a trail out of it. It is part of the 'rails to trails' program that's active all over the country. It's one of my favorite places to ride. No cars at all and no hills! But, it's almost 2 hours away and I have to be sure I can ride over 10 minutes before we try that one!
 
When I began having heel pain after my TKR I found these fabulous gold toe socks that had super thick soles and helped with the heel pain/numbness. But they were so thick I couldn't wear them with shoes at all and eventually didn't help as much with the heel pain. The Vionic slippers were wide enough that I could wear these thick socks with the slippers. However, gold toe stopped making these socks. I nearly cried! But try to spend part of my day just wearing socks around the house.

The Vionics have an unbelievable arch support and a deep heel bed. I wouldn't call them rockers. If you look at the Vionic website there might be a video which talks about how the shoe aligns your body which is why my knee felt strange in the beginning.

I'm glad you were able to sleep last night. You may just need the ambien until you get into a good sleep pattern. Have fun kayaking! I'm looking forward to cooler days here also.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
I agree with KarriB, the arch support is very pronounced and my foot took some time getting use to it, I have two pairs of flip flop type, I bought mine at Dillards they were having a huge sale!!!

I am glad you were able to sleep last night, it sounds like you will be having a fun weekend!!
 
Yeah, Paula, a good night's sleep is a true gift!

So happy with you getting the shoes - hope the size will be perfect. I just bought a pair of Vionic slippers at DSW to wear around the house after October's TKR and in rehab throughout the winter. (My gift to myself.) They came in full sizes and, since I wear 8.5 in their shoes, I bought size 8 and they're perfect. My husband says I must be getting well 'cause I'm shopping to make up for all those months I laid around! He said he's going to hide my credit card!
:loll::rotfl:
 
Ut oh, @TML, I am also an 8.5 and bought a 9 sneaker. Hopefully, by the time I need thick socks they will fit fine. If not, I will donate them. Someone will need them! @KarriB, The arch support might give me a problem since I'm really flat-footed. That's probably why it'll take some time getting used to wearing them.

Oh yes, my night was such a blessing! I am thanking God for it still! Now, that I have some energy, it's time for me to go to work outside for a little while. Work for a half an hour then ice for an hour. That sounds like a good routine to get in.
 
Back
Top Bottom