TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Hi Paula, I have redness all around my knee, too. @TML used a towel to desensitize her scar and says it helps.

I hope you're able to get some rest and feel better.
 
Thank you, Julie, I hope I can get some good sleep, too. You are so soon after your surgery, redness is to be expected because of inflammation. I have a friend tell me that I shouldn't be red or swollen this long after my surgery and had me all scared, but my doctor just told me today it's normal for what was done to my knee. There again, we are not to compare our knees with anyone elses'. We are all different going into this surgery. There is different damage and different work that has to be done. So, I have learned to not listen to anyone comparing knees. I will try that towel trick. It's what my doctor recommended, too. That will probably help with my lack of sleep some. Because the sheet hurts my knee a lot!
 
I'm so glad you had that good talk with your OS. It sounds like everything makes sense to you now with your healing. Don't hesitate to call him back if you have other concerns.

When I first started desensitizing my scar, I took a deep breathe and, as I exhaled, I gently rubbed with the towel; then, I repeated. I learned this technique from childbirth: exhale when pain is greatest. I've been desentisizing twice a day for close to a week now. It's still sensitive but getting better. I'm finding that everything to do with this recovery just takes time!

Wishing you a good night's sleep with the Ambien.
 
Thank you, @TML so telling me your technique. I'm going to try it.
I haven't filled the prescription yet. I was to tired and sore to stop anywhere. I will do it tomorrow and take one tomorrow night. I have to get the Oxy filled, too, so I can get them both at once.
I hope you have a very peaceful and successful night's sleep!
 
@TML do you apply lotion?? How long do you rub the scar?? Sounds interesting, I never heard of this before, my scar is so sensitive to the touch, I still can't wear pants that rub against it.
 
While my incision was sensitive I covered everywhere except over my incision. Eventually the sensitivity has just about disappeared. When I wear jeans my knee still feels sore sometimes from rubbing against it.
 
I hope the Ambien works for you @sistersinhim We really need sleep to heal. Don't worry about taking the oxy. There were many nights I was so grateful I had it to take. I'm so sorry you've had to endure so much with this knee. It sounds as though you've turned a very good corner with today's report!

@uva55 Both my OS and therapist have explained that I should desensitize the scar and skin surrounding it by taking a rough kitchen towel, like terry cloth, and very gently rubbing the area twice a day for about 5 minutes at a time. If you don't, the nerve endings remain sensitive. At first, it's very very uncomfortable to do this, so I take a deep breathe and, when I slowly exhale, I gently rub the scar (or side of knee) in one direction. Then I take another breathe, exhale and rub, etc., for 5 minutes. (Always exhale when pain is greatest.) The more often you do this, the harder you can rub. It's a slow process but it really does restore the area to normalcy. After the area loses the intense stimulus, you can rub in several directions. (Plz let me know if I have not explained this well enough.) Don't use any lotion as you need the friction.

Sleep well, my friends.
 
@uva55 youre welcome! So funny, we're alternating between Paula's and my threads. Hahahahahha :heehee:
 
Paula, have you tried the Saran Wrap trick at night? Some have found it helpful for a sensitive scar.
 
@sistersinhim I didn't realize you had congenital knee issues and bad kneecaps. Ouch! You're coping well with all that. Did they put in a plastic button during thr TKR.?
So you've been on SSI and did it also include Medicare, or did you have to wait for your birthday?
 
@KarriB, I have tried the cling wrap. It helped the front but, it ends up hurting the back of my knee. I've even used it during the day when I'm not in shorts. It doesn't bother the back then. Everything is magnified in bed! @TML, I've started rubbing my knee with my hands. They're kinda rough, too, when I haven't used cream! I will graduate to the towel later on today. @mamazipp, I have no kneecap at all. With the patella tendon cut and shortened during the removals, there is no room for one. My doctor had a very tight space to work in, but he didn't cut the quads or tendon during the installation of the implant, thank God! And yes, I've had Medicare for years. My company provided supplemental insurance, but it paid less and less each year, but I couldn't complain since it was free! They are offering me the same plan for $70 a month, but I'm getting the Medigap F plan that will pay for everything that Medicare doesn't pay for. I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at more shoulder surgery and the left knee replacement, so with that plan I'll have no bills coming in! It's gong to cost me more than what my company is offering, but it will be worth it! God has always taken care of me! Now, I have to check on some life insurance, since I'm losing that. At least their dental is a good plan and not too expensive, so I'll be keeping that. I thought reaching retirement was supposed to be a peaceful and relaxing time! It's not yet. I wish my company had let me know back in January, instead of June that they were retiring me. I wouldn't be dealing with it after major surgery and having an awful brain fog! Here again is where my faith comes in to play! HE will take care of this, too!
 
What a history! Yes, you are doing great with that much previous damage. Be careful on that bike outside! You are brave to want to try it. I'm glad you have an OS that answers questions. So many don't. Have a great day.
 
I am working on my nerve burning. I rubbed it off and on while driving to Walmart. It isn't less yes, but it will be! My sleeping was a little bit better last night. I'm still trying to lay without my pillow under my knee to help to increase my extension. The goes back after 30 minutes or so. The only real problem I've had with my less than perfect extension is my laying flat out on my back or on my tummy. Once that gets to 0, those two things ought to go away.

No Ambien tonight either, they had to order it. It should be in tomorrow.

Time for some Tramadol and Tylenol after my hour of drive time and trek through the store!
 
:sleep:I am glad you were able to get some sleep...I was up most of the night, I was restless only slept 2 hours, needless to say that I am very tired today, and as you can see I'm not working very hard today...actually I don't have much to do today, maybe I can close my office door and take a nap.haha
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you have your health insurance figured out. Hopefully the ambien helps get your sleep/wake cycle back to normal. Sleep for me seems to be the last thing to be back to normal. It's hard to work after sleeping only 3 or 4 hours at night.
 
@uva, what an awful night you had. Thank goodness your day and your work week is almost over, and you're having an easy day today. If I don't get enough sleep I am really slow and stupid. And that's not just because of this surgery. I have always been like that! Your trip this weekend should really invigorate you. I think anything different will help all of us concentrate on something other than the control freaks our knees can be! I am more uncomfortable today than normal, but I believe it's because of all that driving and sitting I did yesterday and then going to Walmart and grocery shopping this morning. By the time I got home all I did was feed the cats, put up the cold groceries, fill up my ice machine and recline! That's what I'm doing now...icing and elevating.

After the good news and peace of mind the doctor gave me yesterday and my euphoria, I hit a real low last night and had a big boohoo time. I kept thinking that I have 4 more months before I'll be much better. But, that's not true. I'm a little bit better every week! I, like everyone else, have to pace myself and take these baby steps. My next goal is to get to the Y and swim or at least walk around in the pool. I'll let you all know when that happens. Shoot, you might even hear my screams of joy instead of reading about it in my post! One day, yes, one day! I have to remember all the goals I have already met when I get down like that again. And remember also, that's it's just the normal rollercoaster ride we all are taking, whether it's physical or emotional.

@newlybionic, it is a real load off of my mind knowing that my health insurance has been taken care of. Even if this did come at the worst time it could have! Just another test to see if I freak out and get mad at God. Not yet! He's my best friend! Enough preaching! I will try and get a nap in before we go to church tonight. Everyone have a blessed day.
 
:mooncat: Its ok to have a low time - you've been through more than most with your surgery. Allow those feelings when they come and just know that the sun will rise again tomorrow and things will be brighter. Read through your posts - you really are improving!
 
@TML, you are so right. I have improved considerably! My pitty party lasted only about 5 minutes, then I felt much better. I was so and tired and needed to sit down, but was unable to at the time and the tears fell. I am so much better today emotionally! My knee is really doing good for what it's been through. I wished I had asked my OS how he dealt with my worn down bone. But I didn't. Josephine never did answer my tag, so it must be something that's pretty normal. I trust that he did it right! Oh course, I'm going to have bad days, but they aren't as many as they were just a couple of weeks ago!
 
You've been through a lot, Paula, so when you see those improvements it will be all the sweeter, they will come, I promise. I am glad the low mood has been replaced by the positive attitude we all know you possess. Better sleep will make all the difference. Bring on the :sleeep:
Tabby xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom