TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Don't feel sorry. This is why we are here. I had an older brother who was the exact opposite of me in every way. I am sure that your dad is very grateful that he has you when he is down. Your caring nature comes through loud and clear.
 
It sounds like you're still really suffering. Is your knee very swollen? At my 6-week check my OS put me on Aleve twice a day. I have seen a big difference in swelling and comfort. I think it's allowed me to get off the Norco. Also, maybe it would help to desensitize the knee as I'm doing. Hope tonight is better for you.
 
No, my swelling is just moderate, so it's not a big problem. It's just that inner ache on the knee and the shin bone area. Of course, if I'm up and walking around a lot it will swell more, but normally it comes right back down. Even after the surgery it was huge only a day or so. I've been blessed with that. This afternoon I have felt better than this morning. It seems like mornings are usually worse than afternoons. Maybe it's because I'm in the recliner and icing most of the day. I just might try sleeping in it tonight. The bed just isn't that comfortable right now. Strange. I thought I'd be sleeping in the recliner as soon as I got home from the hospital, but my bed was fine. Now, it doesn't seem to be. I never know what this knee wants! I wish it could talk to me. I think I can communicate better with my cats than my knee!
 
I know I couldn't stand it yet. I have no idea when it's OK. Someone with more knowledge than I have will have to answer you.
 
I've been switching where I sleep each night lately. Nothing seems comfortable. I'm either in bed, the sofa or the recliner. My husband, who's sleeping in the office/guest room never knows where to find me!
Last night I took an Ambien and I don't remember a thing! :loll:
 
Did you sleep all night? That's a prescription, isn't it?
 
Ambien is a prescription medications.

I usually just sleep in my recliner. I find if I try to stretch out in my bed I toss and turn and get achy all night. Since I don't have time to sleep during the day I try my bed every once in a while. I figure eventually I'll sleep there again.:fingersx:
 
Maybe that's my problem. When I stretch all the way out, my knee starts hurting. Thanks Marian, I hadn't realized that until you mentioned it. Maybe my knee, in a way, thinks I'm standing up! All I know is the bed is a pain! I have to teach SS tomorrow, so I need to sleep, so I'm going to try my chair after I wake up aching that first time!
 
Clara @uva55 - I'm so sorry that you're carrying the burden of caring for your Dad. Burden might not be the best word, because you obviously love him, but when you're shouldering the load, it can be so hard.

:: hugs ::
 
Ambien is a prescription sleep med that lets me sleep 7 hours straight. Some people get weird side effects on it. I never did but only used the lowest dose occasionally. I'm tired tonight but if I'm not asleep by 12 pm (after retiring at 9:00), I'm taking another. I've found in the past if I take it for 3 days straight, it helps reset my natural rhythm of sleeping. Wishing you a good night's sleep tonight!
 
@tjcteacher , my PTs were massaging my knee at about 4 months. They used Palmers Cocoa Butter, I watched and did it myself on my off days.
 
Glad to hear I am not the only one having trouble sleeping in bed. I am 7 months post op now and still sleeping in my recliner. I try in bed about once a week. I sleep for 15-20 minutes and then my knee wakes me up, I change from one side to the other and the same thing happens. So frustrating! :hairpulling: The knee pain bothers me whether I take something for pain or not. If I sleep on my back, my back hurts! My husband came to one of my OS appts and said he couldn't understand why I couldn't sleep in bed and the doctor said I will be back in the bed when I am ready! I told him he should be glad I just use my recliner instead of tossing and turning and waking him up but he says he wants me back in the bed. Oh well...can't please everyone all the time! @sistersinhim have you tried melatonin? That really helps me sleep sometimes...not usually when I go to bed though...just when I am in my recliners! This knee makes strange things happen!
 
I also use a prescription sleeping pill. It lets me get 8 good hours. It's called zopiclone in Canada but is similar to Lunesta. I have no side effects, no grogginess. My issue is that I'm such a night owl I just can't fall asleep till 3Am. I am comfortable in my bed and have very little pain, usually. if I do have pain and need ice all night I make sure to have warm blankets on me.
 
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Paula, I hope you have a really lovely birthday, and enjoy nice things today. I would give you a gift of a good nights sleep if I could!
Tabby xxx
 
Hi, I would recommend trying melatonin too. I have used 3mg in the past.

You can't buy it in the UK but it's not illegal to buy it elsewhere (US) and import it for personal use - odd!
 
Happy Birthday, Paula. I hope it was a good night. Like you my knee is better later in the day. I am sleeping a little better. It is still hard to go to sleep but at least for the last few days I haven't been up till all hours in the morning. Who knows what tonight will bring? My scar has never been sensitive. I don't know why I have been lucky in so many ways. I am just grateful.
 
@DodgyKnee, yes, I do take Melatonin, but it does nothing for the pain. @jmp65, I'm sorry to hear that you are still not sleeping well in your bed either. Last night I made a conscience effort to not move onto my sides. That's when I really start to hurt. I did better. I woke up once to go to the bathroom and then another time later aching, so I got up and moved to my recliner. There, I slept another 1 1/2 and woke up because a kitty was on lap and I was too hot! Went back to bed and slept for another 3 hours. So, it was a better night! Not great, but I'm thankful for the improvement! I feel just a little discomfort this morning and am icing and elevating before getting ready for SS and church.
@Tabbycat, @Floridagal, thank you so much for the birthday wishes! I am truly a senior citizen now! Sometimes it seems like just yesterday I was a teenager and now look at me! I am blessed to have had a very interesting life with no major illnesses! Today, I have been invited to a birthday dinner/lunch after church. The host had a knee replacement about 3 years ago and will have an ice machine set up for me! I will need it after SS and church. I am sure it'll be a fun time with good friends.
 
How wonderful that you have a birthday lunch with friends to celebrate and even an ice machine! That is a great considerate friend. Enjoy! :thumb:
 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a painfree day and night with lots of fun with your friends.
 
Back
Top Bottom