TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Hi Paula,
Congrats on reaching 9 weeks! You are doing amazingly well on the whole, I'm just sorry the sleep is still such a problem, sometimes I think it's one of the last things to come right, it will get better though eventually. As my surgeon says, "stick with it"! :zzz:
Tabby xxx
 
Hi Paula @sistersinhim - the lack of sleep is a big issue. Have you tried some Tylenol PM or Alieve PM? I found (after I was off most of the other meds), that it gave me just enough relaxation that if I did wake up, it was easier to fall back asleep and not feel quite as irritable in the morning. I also still sleep with a pillow under/between my knees and am simply more comfortable that way.

Also, there are a couple of acupuncture/acupressure relaxation points in your ears which I used which also helped me get steadier sleep. Acupuncturists always put a needle in these spots when they want you to relax for a bit. I just use a bit of pressure from my fingernails now.... Picture this ... in your ear there is a little "shelf" toward the top of the ear above the ear canal and it extends into the front "flap" of the ear. On the top of that "shelf" at the very front (behind the "flap") is the relaxation point. I exert some pressure there for about 30 seconds in each ear using my little fingers and it works like a charm. If I wake up, it is easier to fall back into a good sleep. And yes, we are getting older and I do usually wake up still, but this helps substantially!
 
Hi @NightQuilter
That sounds interesting. I wonder how many of us are now feeling our ears. I found two shelves in my ear so I don't know if I'm pressing the right spot, do you know of any diagrams that could help us, they say a picture is worth a thousand words! Paula, I hope this helps you.
Tabby xxx
 
LOL Tabby. I guess there are two shelves. Take the top one! This diagram may be a bit graphic if you are not used to acupuncture. But see where the needle with the head on the far left is pointing? That's the spot.
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Re sleeping. I occasionally have sleep problems. I have a maybe off the norm solution that may not be for all. But I would take 2 tylenol pm, and down them with a shot of scotch ;-). Again not for everyone, but has worked for me, on that occasional sleepless night. I know I won't be able to do that while on opioid pain killers,
 
Same story this morning. I have tried the PMs. I still kept waking up. Last night I put on a large Tiger Balm patch. The knee aches still woke me up at least 5 times. One of the times I read for about 45 minutes before I fell back to sleep. The knee during the day is not too bad, some aches, but night is worse. I still ice almost all the time I'm sitting. I have quit icing at night. Maybe I need to try that again.
@NightQuilter I am going to try the ear trick! Hey, anything is worth a try! @dianehelen years ago I found out that alcohol actually keeps me awake instead of putting me to sleep. In my 20s I was quite a partier! Thank God I outgrew that in my 30s! Alcohol started making me sick. Even just one drink. Things happen for a reason!
 
@sistersinhim I ice a lot during the day, but I can't do it at night anymore, it won't let me sleep, it makes me too cold.
 
That was why I stopped it, @uva55. I had to actually go outside to warm up a couple of nights! That was enough. I have the gel wraps, but they last only about 20 minutes and then take forever to refreeze. I plan on trying the ice machine tonight to see if I can keep the aches away. If not, I'll ask the doctor on Tuesday for some kind of time released pain killers. This lack of sleep is getting to me. I'm becoming mean and a cry baby! Two things I'm usually not!
 
@sistersinhim being in pain and all of the different symptoms that we each have, does get to us at times and it brings out our angry side. My husband knows that I'm tired and not feeling my best today and every time I make a sound he asks if I'm ok, I know he means well but I'm about to choke him :gaah:, poor guy,I just gave him a look and he said "alright, I just won't ask anymore "

I wish I could speed up time, six months, that's all:hairpulling:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, wouldn't that be nice. @dianehelen, Diane and her coma would really help us out with that.

I actually took about a 90 minute nap! Yippee, and I want more, of course. I'm getting a few zingers in the knee, but nothing really bad. It sounds like they're pretty normal. And they are very short lived.

I tried some Tiger Balm this morning and it actually burned my knee and it turned red. It took a few washings to get it off. I used Bio Freeze yesterday and it helped me for about 2 hours. I'm going to try it tonight before bed. I'd rather not use the ice machine unless the Bio Freeze doesn't work. That thing gets me so cold at night!
 
@dianehelen, I was too with my hot flashes and menopause, but that ice on my knee freezes me at night. I'm sitting here with it in the 80s outside, with a blanket over me from the feet to my waist. It's really different for me!
 
I guess I was lucky with the whole menopause thing. Regular periods from 14 - 52, other than pregnancy, then at 52 no more, gone, done, no hot flashes, no mood swings, just gone... I guess because I have always run hot, a hot flash would not ever be even noticed..

I have not missed that monthly annoyance these last 14 years one bit ;)
 
You are so lucky to have had such an easy change! Mine period was from 12 to 55, and I'm still having those hot flashes. A hot flash feels different from being too warm. It starts from the inside my body and my face get really hot and red and the sweating starts. Thank goodness they last only a minute or so!
 
Saturday morning and I've been up since about 4am. I went to bed about about 10pm. I set up the ice machine and took a Hydromorphone, 1 Tylenol PM and a anti-motion sickness pill. I slept til 1:30am when the aching woke me up. I got up and walked around and got a drink of water. Went back to sleep about 2am. Woke up at 4am really aching. Took 2 50mg. Tramadol, anti-motion sickness pill and 1 Tylenol 500mg. No relief. I tried a heating pad. It helped my shin ache, but did nothing for the knee. I tried Bio Freeze. Just a little relief. I never did go back to sleep. As long as I'm up the pain doesn't get to me, but let me lay down. Then it seems so much worse. I still can't sleep on my tummy and only a short time on my sides. I have started getting some pretty strong zingers underneath the middle of my incision. They are very short, quick zings! I think I read that it's nerves reconnecting.

Enough complaining. I was able to ride my bike 15 min. and about 1" closer! My bend is definitely getting better. And I can see my extension is better when I'm letting my legs dangle off the edge of the bed while on my tummy. With Marilyn's help we got almost all of the flowerbeds cleaned this morning before it got too hot. Now, hopefully I can maintain them! I think my next replacement will be in the fall so I won't have to go through this backed up yard work again! It can sure get away from you in just a month! Of course, then there's the firewood to deal with in the winter. I have an outdoor wood burning stove as my main heater. I guess I'd just have to bite the bullet and pay for electric heat if done in the winter time! If I get chilled from the ice in the summer I know I'd freeze in the winter time! I'll just have to get an electric blanket to wrap up in!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are not complaining, just sharing your experience. Just when we think we turned a corner, ZAP, the knee reminds us that she is still in control.

I have felt kind of lousy since yesterday afternoon, exhausted and my entire body aches...tomorrow shall be better.

I feel a little overwhelmed with not feeling all that great and some stuff with my dad...I think I need a mental health vacation, if I only knew how to do that :)

I hope you feel better soon Paul:flwrysmile:
 
@uva55 what's going on with your dad? I imagine you are feeling lousy because you are exhausted. Hopefully, you can do nothing but rest today and tomorrow. I'm sure you will feel much better after that much needed 'time off' from your busy life!
 
Sometimes he has days he does not feel 100% and gets a little depressed, and my sister's solution is to always have me deal with it, which I never mind doing and always do without being expercted to do it, but wouldn't it be nice if she pitched in once in a while when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes I question myself how two women that were raised in the same household can turn out so different. I shouldn't be surprised she was the same way when my mom was sick. I try to accept it because I know I can't change it.

Sorry I unloaded on you...this is like therapy :)
 
Is your sister the younger? I had the same problem with my sister who is 11 years younger than me and was spoiled rotten growing up. I had to take 99.9% care of our mom, who had dementia that went into Alzheimer. My sister never worked during mama's illness, but everything was still left to me. When we had to sell mama's house, I had no help at all from her to pack up the house and everything in it and move mama to a senior's apartment. But, she'd take credit for doing so many things that she never did. Oh well, such is life. I'm just thankful I was able to take care of mama. I pray your dad's emotional state improves, and in turn yours does to. And unload on me anytime you want to. That's what I'm here for!
 
Back
Top Bottom