TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@sistersinhim Happy Anniversary! Nine weeks today but who's counting. :) We are moving forward toward total healing surely and slowly. Just think how much more you can do today than just a couple of weeks ago. Have a good day.
 
Yippee! It is 9 weeks today. I am so much better today than just a few weeks ago. My sleeping is still a problem. The aching wakes me up every few hours. So it's the same old, same old; knee wakes me up aching and I have to get up and walk around and then go back to bed. I'm going to ask my OS about it Tuesday. I'm sick of it!! When you don't get enough sleep, then you seem to hurt more the next day. The PA gave me only 50 Tramadol in a new prescription today. That won't last any time at all.

I made it shopping again today at Sam's and Walmart, walking the whole time! Every once in a while I feel the knee want to give out, so I need an assistance device still. Of course, I have used one for over 20 years, so I have a whole lot of strengthening to do. I read on here that we are not to start working with weights until 3 months, so I'll hold off on that and just use my trusted companion for at least another month. I look forward to the day when I can throw that thing in the shed and close the door on it! It's all in the knee's timing!

Today is finally cooler, but I don't have the energy to go out and do anything. I guess that shopping wore me out. I'd say it time for a nap! I haven't had one in a week or so, so I'm do. With not getting enough at night I have to get it when I can.
 
Sounds great, cant wait to hopefully be at that point.

Wonder what the nighttime aching is from? I get that now, but I still have a crummy knee. Hope you get some answers.

Happy 9 weeks! to "Brat" :)
 
Thank you. Now, if only the brat would grow up some more!
I have no idea about the nighttime aching, but I'm sure going to ask! Mostly the days are better than before the surgery, but not the nights yet. I wonder if @Josephine has any idea. I imagine she'll say I'm doing too much, but I'm not really doing all that much. The work I do, I spread out and take lots of breaks. When I break I'm always icing and elevating for at least an hour.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Me, too, but I'm not falling asleep. I had a big piece of watermelon. You know what that means...a bathroom visit every few minutes! I should have known better!
 
Night pain is one of those really irritating phenomena that nobody has an answer for! Lots of people have ideas or pet theories but no actual facts. Sorry.
 
@Josephine, Oh poo, I was hoping you could tell me to do this and that and it'd go away! This lack of sleep is getting to me! But, when I wake up, at least I can go back to sleep after a while. Some are having it even worse than I am and not being able to go back to sleep. I just pray we all can start getting a really good night's sleep! That would make this journey so much easier!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
I have tried to cling wrap twice, but it didn't help. I haven't tried the moist heat. By the time I get up and walk around the ache goes away, but if the moist heat can keep it away I'll try that. Hey, it can't hurt!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paula,
I remember that pain at night! Ugh! mine was a stabbing pain. then at about 12 weeks it finally went away!
Now some nights I get restless legs and can't fall asleep:flabber:! geezzzzzz one dang thing after another!
Hope you find something that helps besides getting up and walking it off....no fun in the middle of the night!
 
@Majella, I don't know if I can stand it another 3 weeks! I have put up with it for at least a month, so maybe the bad sleeping's end is in sight. I'm going to ask my OS, when I see him on Tuesday, if he would prescribe something that's time released for 12 hours to keep this aching down. If I could sleep well my brain fog would be much better, I'm sure, cause now I sure am feeling stupid! Also, my energy level would improve. Since going through menopause, my sleep hasn't been great, but this is awful. Too bad my microwave and sink are not beside my bed so I wouldn't have to get up to try the moist heat cure! Once I get up and walk it goes away anyway. Of course, my sleep is broken up then.
 
For whatever reason I have a hard time falling asleep. Once I do I'm good but I've been up for 18 or more hours a day and I just can't sleep. I even have some meds prescribed to me to help but it's just no good. I have no pain at all. Then I'll hit a day when I sleep for almost 24 hours with bathroom breaks. Is this just age or is my new knee just raring to go?
 
Taking Tylenol pm with the Tramadol at night doesn't help?
 
@newlybionic i think our sleep cycle is out of whack... I know when I wasn't working it didn't really matter what time I went to bed or wake up, so now even though I super tired at night sometimes it takes a while to relax enough to fall asleep, once I'm out then just can usually last until morning!

By the way are you implying that we are getting old??? I prefer the term vintage:rotfl:
 
I usually read for maybe 15 minutes and then fall right asleep. It's staying asleep that's the problem!
 
Maybe we should get together and add up our sleep. It would work out to falling asleep in fifteen minutes and then sleeping for ten hours (which I can do if I don't have to get up)!
 
Congrats on 9weeks - such a good report except for the sleep issues. I'm having the same problem and think I
may go stark raving mad if it doesn't clear up soon. I can't find one thing that works consistently. If I can stay off the pain meds, maybe I'll ask OS about a sleeping pill for a short time to get my biological clock in synch.
:bored:
 
I've used sleeping pills pretty much the whole time. It's so much better to be able to sleep. I've also had that nighttime aching till recently..sometimes still, but not as bad.
 
Back
Top Bottom