TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I have tried the pillow between the legs. It feels like my knee wants to get a charley horse and aches like crazy when I'm on either side. Also, I can't lay on my back without a pillow under my knee. I have a feeling it's because of my bad extension. It feels the same as when I have my feet on the stool without anything under my knees trying to increase my extension. So, I assume until I can get my extension down I won't be able to sleep on my sides. And that I'll have to have a pillow under my knee while on my back. Oh, and forget sleeping on my tummy. It feels the same way, like I'm doing extension exercises. I'll be so glad when I get that very low extension number!
 
My knee was achy all night last night...I did not get any sleep...I don't know why, I was not a bad girl, I even iced and elevated during the day...another chapter in the life of a new knee, ughhhh:gaah:

We went today and bought an excercise bike :upright:now that I'll be going back to work, I'm only doing PT once or twice a week, I figured a bike would be helpful!!!
 
@uva55 you'll love the bike. My therapist wants me to ride it slowly for ten minutes twice a day. I make sure that the pedals are far enough that I get a good long stretch in my legs. It's helping stretch out my leg for extension and also relieving the spasms I've been getting in my hamstrings. Have fun!
 
I've been in reverse. My extension has been good since day one, but flex has been rather poor. It was very good before surgery, so that's what concerns me. Hopefully I will get it back totally.
 
@uva55, that's exercising, too!

I had my typical night, up and down. I had turned on my side and then wake up hurting. Then get up and walk to the bathroom, or kitchen or anywhere and then go back to bed and sleep for a few hours, and then the same old same old. This goes on all night. That's the bad news. Now, for the good news:

My ROM and extension are increasing and decreasing nicely. I was at a standstill for a while, not now, I can tell a difference! I have just discomfort during the day except for times like yesterday when I stuck in one place standing for 20+ minutes. It doesn't hurt to walk now. Most of the discomfort is from muscle, and/or tendon soreness. My walking feels so much better than just a week ago. I think I'm turning a corner, finally! Now, I have to be really smart and not overdo! And I need to be very careful and watch my steps so I don't fall. God has been so good to me to bring on this healing spurt and I don't want to mess it up. One reason I might be some better, I went back on my prescription anti-inflammatories. I really didn't want to because they can cause heart problems. But, I figured I could stay on them long enough to get over this healing hump, then go back off of them in a few months. Tumeric is a natural anti-inflammatory. There are several more out there that I can switch to afterwards.
 
I'm glad you are doing so good...I have to take anti inflamatory meds for my back and I definitely think they help my knee...that's another reason I'm trying to loose weight, maybe my back won't bother me so much and I can someday stop taking anti inflamatory meds.
 
I'm glad you've gotten over the healing hump, but you're right, you don't want to let this new found spurt get away from you. You are nearly 2 months out, remember try to elevate the same amount of time you're up and about.
 
@uva55, how did you sleep last night? I know you had a rough one the night before. Maybe when your knee's completely healed you will be able to walk differently and then that will help out your back!

I loaned my neighbor across the street my riding lawn mower and she washed it off with cold water from a garden hose after using it. You should never do that to a hot mower deck, so fearing that it's going to lock up the bearings before long, Marilyn and I went looking at mowers that were on sale. We went to 3 stores to check them out. I climbed off and on about 7 or 8 different mowers plus in and out of the car. @KarriB, I hope I haven't been stupid. Now, I'm home and my knee is over an inch bigger than it normally is, so I'm doing the normal thing! I plan on staying right here in this recliner except for bathroom breaks until bedtime! I feel good, except for being stiff. We all know that, that's because of the swelling. I pray I can get through the night without any new problems.

@birdwatchr, I found an easy way to work on my flex. While in the shower, get my knee nice and warm and then put my foot on the top of the side of the tub. I then rock into my bend slowly. I can then bend a little more each time. If I could only get into the tub, well OUT of the tub!, then I could sit in warm water and bent my knee more that way. Getting out will probably be a big problem, so bending on the side while standing is almost as good as soaking in the tub. Maybe you could give that a try.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read on someone's thread that just because she was feeling so much better, she was not going to do anything silly like overdoing it...hmmm, does that sound familiar??? I know its hard not to when we feel good...I hope the price is not too high!!!

I'm sorry about your lawnmower. That's the reason my hubby does not like to loan equipment or power tools to anyone, neighbors know he owns half of Home Depot, and sometimes they come begging for tools.

I did sleeper much better last night...I wish you a painless, peaceful evening, and a good night sleep!!!
 
@uva55, no good deed goes unpunished! That's OK, God will provide! I had said before I wasn't going to loan anything else out. I pulled my log splitter to a friend's house years ago to help them out and they were so rough with it, they had transmission fluid shooting out of it. That was supposed to be the last time I loaned any big equipment out. My neighbor and fellow church member put me on the spot about the lawnmower and I had to say OK. Next time either Marilyn or myself will cut her grass. That way we'll know the mower is being taken care of!

I'm so glad you slept better last night. I pray tonight's even better for you. I will be praying for you off and on all day tomorrow. Please let us know how you get along.

Oh yes, I did say I wasn't going to overdo, but Marilyn is going to buy this one and kept telling me to sit on different ones and try them out since I'm the one using it. I'm not trying to make excuses, but there was a reason for my madness! If I'm up half the night and hurting tomorrow, she's going to hear about it! Oh yes, she'll hear about it big time! So far though, I feel fine and the swelling is still down. I will take an Oxy just in case. I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

@KarriB, yes, I am hardheaded! Extremely so! One day I'll learn...probably not!
 
I guess I'll find out! Thank you for your well wishes! Good night everyone and sleep well with very pleasant dreams!
 
My night was bad, but it wasn't because of my knee. It was no worse than usual. McDonald's has their frappe's on sale and I drank a large one last yesterday afternoon. That thing must have been full of caffeine because I couldn't go to sleep. And when I did fall asleep I kept waking up more than usual. My knee woke me up only one time. The rest of the time is was because I was just restless. No more frappe's that late!

My knee is more sore today, but not as bad as I was afraid it would be after all that activity yesterday! I've already ridden my bike, which has helped loosen it up some, and done my outside work. So, now I'm settling in for my icing and elevating.

@dianehelen, my shoulder surgery was 4 years ago. All I know is when I woke up in the recovery room I had it on me and they said it was mine and to go home with me. I didn't pay for it so I assumed it was Medicare that did. I know my 2nd insurance didn't! You are blessed to have your husband to help you. I had to do the best I could without any help most of the time. That's why the two machines.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you have a more restful night tonight.:sleep:

I'm so glad your "brat" didn't misbehave too much :yay:
 
I slept a little better last night. No caffeine yesterday afternoon!
I am trying to sleep without having a pillow under my knee. I can stand it for a few minutes but will have to put it back. i had to get an ice wrap only twice. My side sleeping is getting better! I still have to move around a lot, but at least I can stay there longer than before. My ROM and extension is better on some days than on others. Of course, this depends on my amount of swelling I have. My best has been 110/4. This morning I could fairly hit 100 bend and the extension was only 8. I assumed this is all part of the rollercoaster. So, it's not just pain, it's all the other stuff that goes with it. And then it brings the emotions into it. All in all, things are so much better than they were. And most of the time I'm glad that I've had this surgery!
 
Back
Top Bottom