TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I hope I'm not going to be sorry. But, this morning I ran the high-wheeled string trimmer for about 30 minutes. It was so much easier than bending over and pulling grass. I also used my battery blower to blow the trimmed grass off of the walkway and patio. The worse thing was it was a heat index of 103 while I was out there. It wore me out! I have done nothing much except to fix some asparagus and cauliflower since this morning. All the rest of the time I've been icing and elevating. I guess tonight in bed will tell whether I did too much or not. If my knee acts up, then I'll know it's too early to start this project. I have around an acre that's cleared and needs attention! It'll be slow, but good therapy! It's good to get back to normal things. If only it wasn't so darn hot!
 
It could have been a bit early for the grass trimming - do let us know!

I used to try to break jobs like that into 15-minute blocks - work for 15 minutes, then rest, elevate and ice for about 45 minutes, then do another 15 minutes (if I wasn't too tired), then rest, ice, elevate again. It was slow progress, but it was progress.
 
I had a hard time getting comfortable last night. Finally about 2:30 am, after broken up sleep, I got my big leg elevator under my knees and feet and that helped some and of course, iced. I'm pretty achy right now, but that's my fault. I forgot to take anything for pain before I took off this morning. :bignono:I drove for the first time by myself! :yes!: I had an appointment at 8:30 for a haircut! Yippee! That feels so much better! :yahoo: After that I got a motorized cart at Walmart and got 2 cantaloupes. Then stopped and got gas. By the time I got home I was really uncomfortable! Stupid me. :gaah: I could have at least taken some Tylenol before i left, but I was running a little late and was worried about how long it'd take me to get to the car, get in and then get back out! Being this early, it was easy to find a handicapped spot. Otherwise, I might not have been able to open my car door enough to get out. But, everything fell into place! I'm back home and took my meds and will rest for a few minutes. I have to get outside and spray some more vinegar before it gets too hot. After that, just back inside to work on my SS lesson for Sunday! :prayer:I wish you all a low-pain and blessed day! :friends:
 
Yay Paula on the driving! Woo hoo! It felt good didn't it? Try not to get down on yourself about forgetting to take your pain meds. I've made that mistake a few times too. You're doing great!
 
It sure did feel good!! That's a big touch of freedom and independence!
 
Paula, we really have to plan our outings don't we??? There are so many things I will never take for granted again!!!
 
:driver:I bet you are ready to drive all over the place now! I even used to go sit in my car by a park or even go through a drive through for a smoothie. Enjoy your new freedom.
 
When all else failed I'd go for a drive because I didn't drive for 2 1/2 months. Loved drive thrus! Go for it, Paula! Head to the nearest DQ!
 
Oh, you know me and ice cream! Just knowing that I can drive alone is another huge hurdle that I have crossed. My OS said 6 weeks and I was a good girl and waited to almost 7 weeks. But, I'm off the hard stuff except occasionally at night, so during the day if I want to drive somewhere, I can! Oh gee, I wonder where I'll go tomorrow! Maybe go get a Blizzard, or a Frappie, or maybe just drive no where in particular because I CAN!!! :dancy:
 
Oh, sistersinhim, driving, at last, is such freedom, such joy, isn't it? Sometimes I forget that I can get in the car and go, then I remember, yes! I can go anywhere!
I'm glad to hear you could return to your church choir. I am also a choral singer and just joined a temporary group to sing Brahms Requiem, in August. Such a beautiful work and I love it. I am a little worried about so much standing, but I'm sure going to try. Singing is joy for the soul. Some choruses I've been in would be difficult to manage with concerts on risers, but this venue, I think, will be easier. I can always ask for a chair, and to sit through, but prefer not to.
 
@mamazip, I do enjoy singing, too. I have loved harmony since I heard it in elementary school. Our chorus teacher had us sing a melody then split us up and half of us sang it 1/3 step lower while the others sang the original way at the same time. I thought it was beautiful! After that I've always gone for harmony even though I'm a soprano range. When I sang with a local city chorus they let me stand on the bottom right next to the rail so I could hold if need be. It was a joy to sing with them!
 
@sistersinhim i loved harmony since childhood as well. I started out soprano but my voice lowered in recent years. Now I'm alto, so boy, do I get to sing harmony now. It's been an interesting challenge to change.
 
@mamazipp
Brahms Requiem is one of my favourite pieces of music, I have it on CD sung by The Sixteen. I would love to hear your choir! At the moment I'm enjoying discovering the music of Alma Deutscher. She's only 11, but has the most amazing gift.
@sistersinhim
I think it was Albert Scweitzer who said the two refuges from the miseries of life are music and cats. I agree!
 
Me too, @Tabbycat! I would be so lonely without them in my life. Shortly after my surgery I found I was having a really hard time singing. It was almost like I couldn't even carry a tune. I found out this past Sunday that I can sing again! What a blessing. I'm not a great singer, but I do enjoy it so.

I have a question for you experienced ones out there. Did any of you notice a decline in your eyesight after your surgery? My eyesight got much worse overnight almost. They don't hurt or anything, I just can't see as well as I did before. I hope it comes back like my voice did.
 
@Tabbycat. Yes, Brahms requiem is a beautiful piece, even being a Requiem. It is a joy (and a challenge) to sing. Yes, I wish you could hear them! I've not heard of Alma Deutscher. I will have to look her up.
I agree completely about music and cats. I had to return Marigold to the rescue when I had my surgery and couldn't take her back due to her high needs for meds, hand feeding, and fluid infusions, plus she bit me before surgery and that was an unacceptable risk. However, I now have Bella from the rescue and she is a purr bug with no high needs and my fun companion. Now that I'm more mobile I go visit Marigold at the rescue....which is in the home of a friend.

@sistersinhim my voice has become weaker and wobbly in recent years...it's ok in a chorus where it blends, ha ha. But as long as as I can do it, I will. My vision definitely changed after surgery. It is blurry and harder to focus. I attribute it to the meds, as I'm still on gabapentin and occasional oxy. It's not cataracts, as I have had them both done. Hoping my vision improves after I'm done with meds. The wonderful thing about singing is that you don't have to have a great voice to do it. But of course you do have to get the pitch!
 
Surgery does strange stuff to us. When I got my teeth cleaned the hygienist said I had more tartar than usual and that was because of surgery. I also read that three months after surgery expect hair to fall out. What else? Who knows it could affect the eyes too. I have this rash that won't go away. I think our whole bodily system has been thrown for a loop.

Paula, I have a 21 ft. Chinook motorhome which I love. It is a 1997 but quality. Like you I can't wait to get on the road again and stay at some lovely park.
 
Paula, I noticed my eyes changed after surgery, but I felt it was due to wearing glasses all the time instead my contacts. When I started wearing my contacts again it took a while for my eyes to become accustomed, but then one eye did change when I went to the eye dr.
 
I have noticed that I can't see as well lately. I too, thought it was the pain meds, but I'm pretty much off of everything heavy, just some Tramadol, and my vision hasn't improved yet. I bet this is something that I'm going to have to be patient with, too. Oh, this patience thing is not easy!!

I found a way to clean my flowerbeds without having to bend by my waist all the time. I sat down on the steps then scooted down until I was sitting on the walkway. That way I could pull the grass and weeds in the flowerbed. When I needed to move, I'd just scoot on my butt. I did this most all the way down. To get back up, I scooted back on my butt to the steps and then pushed up backwards until I could stand up. Naturally you wouldn't wear good pants to do this! But, it is so nice to have my front yard flowerbed cleaned out! Another big job down!

I had a better night last night, but still woke up really stiff, as usual. Do any of you know how to get rid of this stiffness???!! All in all I have little pain, except when I move my leg sideways. I do get aches, especially at night and have to get up and walk and maybe take another pill in the middle of the night or early morning, if it's time. My shin is still really tender and sometimes it hurts to walk I'll had this since the surgery. Of course, it's not as bad as it was then! The worst pain is on the medial side of my knee. The lateral side is still numb for the most part. Trying to ride my bike at least 5 minutes a day. My steps average 3-5,000 a day just doing my normal things. My ROM is 110/3. I think I'm doing OK. Sometimes I can skip my afternoon nap, so my energy level is getting better.
 
@Floridagal the hair may be because we are not getting enough protein, I know I still have no appetite, I'm sure we are not getting all of the daily requirements of protein, vitamins and minerals...things that I loved like seafood, steak, fish,pasta, it's not appealing to me now, the only thing I want is hamburgers, which I hardly ever ate before, not fast food, homemade, so my husband grills several at a time and when I don't want what we are having for dinner I have a burger, I am taking a multi vitamin daily.

This surgery is a real doozy right? I feel really bad for those individuals that go into it misinformed, my doctor explained to a point but his information was very far removed from reality, I am so thankful that I found Bonesmart before my surgery so I was a little more educated and knew what to expect!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom