Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@sistersinhim you are jot alone, I'm also a member of the ODIC club. The last three days I have regressed, and I'm jot happy about it, actually I'm cancelling my PT tomorrow so I can elevate and ice all day.

I'm sure you can get back on track soon, I know how hard it is to see things that need to be done around the house and ignore it. As bad as I felt today I was tempted to do some chores and it was hard to talk myself out of it.
 
When I saw the pictures of your scars before and after it reminds me of mine. Right now it's just the incision itself that turns colors. That's what I termed my mood scar. It turns purple when I am doing a lot. It goes to almost all pink when I have a day of rest. I do get a warning during the day sometimes when it turns red.

It's very difficult not to visit the ODIC. We all get bored eventually especially after a number of weeks. You feel like you can do more but that baby knee just seems to suck the life out of you once you've done too much. I still find that on my days of I have very little energy to do very much at all.
 
@uva55, now that your dad's back home safe and sound, you can get back to taking care of yourself. Spend your time babying and listening to that infant knee now. Stay away from that dreadful club! @newlybionic, I was more concerned about the skin on the sides of the scar that looked bruised. My scar also changes colors, but all of mine do, so I'm wasn't concerned about that. With all those hours you're working, no wonder you're too tired to do much on your days off. You need to rest and recuperate from those awful hours. I have no idea how you can do it. You have a strength that all of us need!
 
I really have no strength at all. I wind up not being able to do anything on my days off. Hopefully your OS can reassure you that everything is ok with your knee.
 
I had no energy when I went back to teaching either. I'd grocery shop on the weekends and go to church, but that was it. The rest of the time was sitting and resting.
 
I'm good for a couple of hours work in the mornings, then lunch and a nice 1 to 2 hour nap. Then paperwork, rest time again and dinner. That's pretty much my week days. I also ride the bike at least 3 times a week for a few minutes. Whenever I'm resting, I'm also elevating and icing. For some reason I can't sleep on my sides anymore. It's too painful. Crazy. Only one night I was able to side sleep, that's it. How disappointing.
 
I'm a side sleeper also, and I still have to have a pillow between my knees or the pain is too much. I've basically had to do that since the TKR, and I really hope one day to be able to lose the pillow! If I try to sleep on my back, I don't really sleep well, and forget the stomach-my knee just won't allow that. When lying on my back, I still use pillows to elevate; basically my bed is one big heap of pillows! Two under my head for sleeping, then three under my head for watching TV, two or three for under my knee when I'm watching TV, and one just hanging around for sleeping on my side. :heehee:
 
I'm a side sleeper also, and even with a pillow between my legs after five minutes, I have to give it up and sleep on my back, I hate it:tantrum:
 
I've tried the pillow between the knees and I still can't stand the pain. It's almost like I get huge cramps in the muscles and/or tendons around the knee. Once I turn back on my back from my side, it takes a few minutes for the pain to go away. I think the more I try to sleep on the side the worse the pain is the next day in the morning. I need to stop trying so hard. It'll come when the knee is healed enough. It just that I need that dreaded word again...patience! Oh, how I hate that word! God did not bless me with that trait!
 
I sleep on my left side and I use one of those memory foam pillows between my knees. It's pretty thick so there's not really any extra pain as there would be with a thinner pillow. I have tried a regular bed pillow, but it flattens out after a bit and then it hurts, so I stick with the other. I can't sleep on my right side as the weight of the pillow and my other leg hurt too much.
 
Have you tried putting one knee over the other to sleep on your side? I did this even with the imbolizer on. It was easier to put the left knee over the RTKR.
 
I've tried doing that, but it pulls on my back somewhat and isn't comfortable after a few minutes. Hopefully we'll soon just be able to sleep in any position we like without any pillows or restrictions!
 
I'm super flexible! Almost oddly flexible! It astounded every PT I worked with during my recovery both in the hospital and out patient. The liked to see how far I could bend other limb or joints besides my knee! It was quite funny. Every pt would ask if I did yoga or Pilates, but I've never done either. When I told them I swam they'd nod and say swimmers wpcan be flexible. I've been a swimmer since I was a child. I think that's why I could sleep that way and still do sometimes.
 
@lovetocookandsew, I have a memory foam pillow that I use for it. It's not the other knee, it's the TKR knee in a bad position itself. It's the same on both sides. With nothing at all touching the knee, on either side it hurts. I don't know how to explain it. It's almost like it's not quite in joint, though I'm sure it's not that. I can't even lay with it flexed outward when on my back. It has to be straight out and on a pillow. I'm fine as long as it's not at any kind of angle. Guess I just need to heal more. @KarriB, you changed your avatar! Was this at your retirement? You look so pretty! How's that old, left knee doing?
 
Thank you, this was last August at a wedding in Chesapeake, Virginia. I have a friend who always takes very flattering photos of me. Left knee is ok, it yells at me sometime, but I'm hoping it likes the Delaware shore next week!
 
Do a dip in the water for me!
 
I have a question for you all. We had a line of thunder storms come through last night around 10:30. My knee woke me up with extreme shooting pains. I had already taken my pain meds, so I couldn't take anymore of them. My knee had these shooting pains as long as we had storms. This morning my knee is very sore, like I've overworked it. Have any of you ever had this happen. This is the first time I've had shooting pains since the surgery and hope I don't have anymore of them! Unfortunately, storms are forcasted for much of the week. I sure don't want to go through those pains again!

I had a light day yesterday without doing much of anything, so that's not it.
 
Back
Top Bottom