TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Never, ever put your ice machine away. I've learned that lesson myself. That's the last thing I have out now related to my TKR but I still find I need it at times. It's there and ready to run all night if needed. I hope you can get a good nights sleep tonight and tomorrow so that you are ready for SS.
 
I slept better up until about 3:30am. I got up to take my pain med and noticed most of the cats in. This is extremely unusual so I started watching them. They kept watching the cat door coming into the house. I also have one coming into the screened-in porch that is attached to the house where the first door I mentioned is. I went to look and see what had them so intense and a daggone raccoon was sitting right at the cat door getting ready to come into the house. Now, this is a huge problem. I love God's critters, but I don't want a destructive raccoon coming in my house! She, I assume cause it's small, was sitting right inside the screened-in porch so she had already come through that cat door. I immediately got online to see how to get rid of this pretty thing. I have a trap. I think I'll try that first before paying someone to try and get it. Needless to say, after that I slept very little. Maybe an hour, so I'm tired.

Because of my stupid furniture moving, I think I have set myself back at least a couple of weeks pain wise. I am so sorry I ever did that. I have certainly learned my lesson. Of course, now I'm depressed because of doing such a dumb thing. And because of discomfort, I don't feel like doing a thing. But, I am doing the necessary things. If only I could go back to Thursday and undo what I did. But, we reap what we sow. I'll just try and get plenty of rest and heal. Oh yeah, and ice, ice, ice!
 
With the trap put peanut butter and marshmellow creme in a baggie-but small holes in the baggie and tie it up to the top of the inside of the trap towards the back of the cage. It will get them everytime. Don't just lay the food down in the trap-they get it and get out too quick! Experienced Raccoon trapper :) Then you can take them to woods and free them!!!!!!
 
Did you get the raccoon out??? They can be nasty. I had to grab my dog by the tail when he went after a big one on my deck. The coon wasn't giving an inch and that was a medium size dog not my little chi. I did trap him and we let him loose in a woods a distance away. He hissed at us all the way.

I am sure you did not put yourself back weeks pain wise. It just feels like that. Remember the roller coaster we are all on. It will get better soon. Rest. Rest. Rest.
 
@tjcteacher, thanks for the hint. I have trapped 3 a few years ago. One of them must have been a male. He was aggressive and tried to tear the trap apart. He cut is poor feet up on the trigger. I felt bad for him until he started growling at me. The other two times, each one was very calm and docile. @Floridagal, she went out on her own when I got Marilyn to go out the deck door. When Marilyn gets up in the morning, she puts some dry cat food out for our kitties and a few of them come in for their can breakfast. The raccoon soon discovered it. She said it got to the point that she'd run up to the door to come in like the cats. We had never seen her on the porch before. If she can come in the outside cat door, she can sure come in the inside cat door. I'll set that trap up tonight. I'll probably get a possum or a cat. Raccoons are smart.

Amy Jo, thank you for the encouragement. I'm really down and you helped me to see that just maybe it is part of the roller coaster. This is the second day of rest, so I should start to feel better really soon.
 
I agree that I don't think you set yourself back. You were just doing some of the normal things that are part of life. Moving everything back to their original place was symbolic that you are onto the next phase of life. Just do a little extra icing and elevating and enjoy your day of rest.
 
Thank you @newlybionic. I need that encouragement! I was doing so much better and really thought I was starting on the 'other side' of this recovery. But, you are right. I am swollen and uncomfortable now, but not as swollen as yesterday. And the soreness will go away again. And until the episode with the raccoon, I was sleeping pretty well last. Much better than the night before. I say again, I have learned my lesson! It will take as long as it takes to heal! Nobody out there get over confident and do things that a new tkr should never do. I'm living proof that your knee will rebel!
 
our knees are gonna are rebel but it seems-but I find "some" of the activities worth the ache!:yahoo:
We had one large male raccoon work himself up some much in the trap he died before we could get him off the roof to release him.
 
Oh my, I hope this one doesn't go up on my roof. I have the trap set, I'll see what happens in the morning. I also have the cat door coming into the porch blocked so it can't get in that way. Of course, now the cats are stuck inside and will probably rebel. Too bad. I'm in charge this time!
 
Good luck trapping your raccoon. Hopefully you will get him back to the woods so your cats have their freedom.
 
Good luck with trapping the possum.

I know you have a lot of cats, so this might not be a viable option financially, but there are cat flaps available that will only open for a cat that has the correct microchip. They can be set to accept multiple chips.
It would mean having to get all your cats micro-chipped and installing new cat flaps.
Once that's done, you set the cat flaps to accept each chip by passing each cat through the cat flap from indoors.
 
@Celle, I've not heard of those cat doors. The only ones I had heard about were where the cats wore a collar with the chip in it. And it would be hard to keep collars on all of them. I tried that with flea collars and it didn't work. They'd lose them in no time. I'm going to check the microchip ones out. Thank you for the tip. And it was a raccoon that was a problem. I just afraid I'd get a possum.

I got the raccoon this morning at 4:30! I took it way out in the woods and released it. It was very aggressive and growled and reached out and pulled a shopping bag into the trap and tore it into bits. Boy, I hope it doesn't come back. With a wound on it's shoulder I am worried about it rabid. Especially since it wasn't afraid of us at all. If it comes back I'm calling a professional. There's no way that thing will go in my trap again!
 
Sorry I mistook your raccoon for a possum! We only have possums here in NZ, not raccoons. We are a rabies-free country, too.

Both my cats are micro-chipped. One loves them loves to use the cat door but the other one will only go through it if I hold it open for her. Spoilt madam! So, I haven't yet bought the door that allows micro-chipped cats. Fortunately, we haven't had a problem with other cats or wildlife coming into the house.
 
Oh Paula, I'm so sorry you overdid it and are paying for it now. I hope it doesn't take too long to get back on track. You've been so positive throughout this, but you must look after yourself, better safe than sorry!
Sending healing thoughts to you.
Tabby xxx
 
I'm happy you were able to get that raccoon and took him out to the woods. They can be very aggressive indeed. Now your cats can have their freedom to come and go.

How are you feeling today? Any better after your furniture moving adventure?
 
I made it to SS and church and taught the lesson. I think I did OK. At least the class said I did! They participated well and that's usually a good sign! God carried me! And He had to, I couldn't do it on my own. I had awakened at least 4 times before getting up at 4:30 with the raccoon. So, I was just about brain dead!

I'm still no better today. I had a really uncomfortable morning. I am finally home with leg elevated with the big leg elevator and have the ice going. My swelling had increased so I know doing this is a must and I'll feel better once it's down. It hurts to walk now. It didn't before. TLC is in order for the next few days. Thank God I don't have anything really pressing except to take one of my kitties to the vet who's sick. It's only a 6 minute drive from here and hardly any waiting time, so I'll be back home within an hour. Then back to the I,E,and R. From now on if I have to move anything heavy I'm getting help from someone. Now is not the time for being stubborn and independent, it's time to let others be blessed by helping me!
 
Im glad you were able to get to your church that I know you love so much. Now that you are home, please take care of yourself. It makes me sad for all the progress you have made, to have this setback. I hope you have learned a valuable lesson, young lady ;)
 
That's great that you were able to teach your SS class. A few weeks ago you couldn't muster enough strength to think about going. You are getting better. As you start doing more and more firsts your knee will balk a bit. I usually chalk it up to this wonderful road we are on to recovery. Take the rest of the day off. Hopefully you'll be ready tomorrow to get to the vet without much difficulty.
 
Back
Top Bottom