TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Hi Paula, I'm sorry the storms affected your knee so badly. I haven't got an explanation, but when we had thunder here a few weeks ago my new knee was extra painful. My joints always respond badly to changes in weather and air pressure, so I put it down to that. I am hoping the new knee will not be so sensitive when it is healed, but I do have RA so maybe it's something I'll have to put up with.
Take things easier until the storms pass, I hope it won't be too long.
Tabby xxx
 
A rheumatologist told my husband that joints are very sensitive to changes in air pressure. I don't know if that's what affected your new knee but it is something we have to deal with everyday during the summer here in Florida. I hope those shooting pains don't come back. I felt some strange burning pains maybe from the wicked storms we had yesterday.
 
I just did a bit of research and found a possible explanation on broken link removed: https://www.hipandknee.com. Click on 'knee surgery' then 'life with an artificial knee' and there's a section on 'what will weather changes feel like in the knee'.
 
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
Here is the article from the website that Tabby posted. We also had storms last an I has pain all through the night, I'm starting to hate bedtime!!!
@sistersinhim , @Floridagal, @dianehelen, @Tabbycat
 
I just noticed that if you look at the whole page above on the website, there's an ad for BoneSmart!
 
Thank you, @Tabbycat and @uva55. All I know is it wasn't in my head, it was in my knee! Now, there's scientific proof that it can happen. And it was awful! I have never had pains like this before. Ice didn't even help. I pray it was a once in a lifetime thing! @dianehelen, is wasn't pain in the joint itself, it was in the soft tissues.

This morning the whole knee muscles and/or tendons were so tender I could hardly walk. It's better this afternoon, thank God! Marilyn and I went shopping to Sam's and Walmart early this morning and I could barely walk. Luckily both stores had the motorized carts available. I'm feeling almost back to normal this afternoon. Thank God again that this seems to be a temporary thing.

@uva55, I pray that you don't experience it again, either. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and you are a dear friend! Let's all pray for better weather and a wonderful night's sleep! And I know what you mean about hating bedtime!
 
Good morning everyone. I had a much better night last night. I actually slept almost 4 1/2 hours in a row! We had storms come though right before bed, and my knee was only a little bit worse than normal. Weird. It's possible on Friday night when I first went to sleep, maybe I had moved into a bad position for me knee and that's why I woke up with extreme pains. Who knows. The knee does what it wants to do! I am much better this morning than yesterday morning, too! Thank you, God! I even polished my toenails. But, to be honest, I had to bend down a lot to do the right toes. But, I did them! Now, I'll get ready for SS and church. I'll let you know how the rest of the days goes this evening. You all have a blessed and less painful day. You're in my prayers! Love you!
 
You are such a Sweetie Paula! Glad you had better sleep last night & I hope your Sunday is AWESOME!

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
@sistersinhim I too experience more pain in my joints when weather changes come. Living in Wisconsin I had noticed more pain especially when we get snow storms and/or very cold weather. Some people say no to this but my ortho also said it is true...so it is NOT in our heads! Glad you had a better night last night! Enjoy SS and church!
 
Hi there, Marian. I left the walker at home and used one crutch! I just stayed away from crowded areas. Also, I finally made it back up to the choir loft and was able to carry a tune! The next big conquest was to sit in a chair in SS instead of on the pew stretched out like I did the past two Sundays. I had to constantly move my leg from propping up on the crutch and then putting it down. It's still uncomfortable sitting with my knee bend for over a few minutes. In the choir loft I have a low stool that I have propped up on for years, and this worked out OK today! How nice to get back to normal things. Of course, I got home, ate some fruit and took a nap while icing and elevating! Swelling is no worse than it has been. I've been laying around doing nothing this afternoon but, I still consider today a huge success! I have found that, for now, doing one major thing a day and resting the rest of the time is keeping me out of that dreaded club! Now, another real test next week! I have agreed to teach SS again. I started on the lesson last week and will work on it a little bit each day. I don't want to freak out like I did last time and spring it on Marilyn at the last minute. The brain fog is still there, but not as bad. And being off of the Oxy is a huge help with the brain matter! Propping up might be a problem while teaching, but God will get me through it!

My only real complaint is the stiffness, which I complain about every day! As the day goes on it gets some better, but is still there. Riding my bike helps for a few minutes, but after I sit for a while it's right back. My knee just wants to be in control still! One day I will be. Then I'll tell it where to go instead of it telling me what to do or not do!
 
That's great you were able to participate with your choir again. I'm sure you sounded wonderful. That stiffness lingers on with me but it goes away faster and faster after I get up and move around a bit. You will find as time goes on that you will find yourself not thinking about your knee. I had to get down the stairs quickly the other day and I just walked down foot over foot. I didn't realize it at the time. I've been doing more and more like that and so will you.
 
Wow! Down the stairs foot over foot! I haven't done that in years. I am so looking forward to not having my knees on my mind almost all the time.

I don't know about sounding wonderful, but I sure felt good! I've said over and over again, it's the little things!

I pray your day tomorrow goes much better than you are thinking it will and that your co-worker will be very easy to work with! Have a really good night's sleep tonight and wake up feeling like a brand new woman!

And the same to all my friends here. May your night be the best night you've had is years! And tomorrow you wake up with less pain and stiffness and full of energy!

@Suz, my day was Awesome! The best I've had since the surgery! How has yours been?
 
I'm so glad you had a great Sunday and able to do more of the normal things, good for you!!!
 
Glad you had a good day and are trying to stay with one event a day. Normal is good.
 
@uva55, how's your weekend away going? Is dad doing well?
@KarreB, I learned a couple of weeks ago one thing a day. I will probably try increasing my activity this week and see how I do. The energy level still drops all of a sudden and I want to be really close to home when that happens. But, it's getting better week by week! And normal feels great!
 
@sistersinhim dad is doing well, we spent most of the day inside, it was too hot and I felt bad leaving him alone!!! I'm feeling pretty good, went up some stairs, slow but no pain, yayyyy
 
@uva55, It's really hot up here in Virginia, too. We are forecasted to have 5 days 100+ before the end of the month. Yuck. All my outside work has to be done before 10am.

Great for you getting up those stairs! It's scary, isn't? Good for you staying with dad and staying cool, too. I'm so glad his diabetes is in control. That can be a very scary disease.

Have a good day!
 
Back
Top Bottom