TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I tried it again last night, but was able to stay on my side for a few minutes only before the pain took over. I did lay there a little longer than I did last week when I tried it. So, just maybe I'll be able to sleep on my side most of the night sooner rather than later. That's when my sleeping will improve. I have always been a side sleeper and it's difficult to sleep otherwise. Of course, I know of no other way to elevate except on my back. Elevating is a must!

My new ice machine came and it works well. It has a large opened space that will allow large blocks of ice. I take empty Cool Whip and butter bowls, drink bottles, etc. fill them with water and freeze them. These large blocks of ice keep my water cold all day or night long! Sure is much easier and cheaper than using bagged ice cube bags. Ten pounds was lasting me only 1 day.

I was hoping my nurse was coming yesterday to remove staples, but she didn't. She left me her phone number, so if I don't hear from her by lunch, I'll call her. I want these things out of my knee!

I ran my little battery vacuum cleaner yesterday and boy did I pay for it last night! It had been over 2 weeks since being vacuumed and I couldn't stand it any longer. Today I'm doing a couple of loads of laundry. Tomorrow will more than likely be a day of rest!

I know what you mean about holding your leg down and it hurting the knee really bad. I'm sure you'll find something to prop your foot up on.

I finally lifted my leg up onto my bed without assistance last night! Another baby step earned!
 
I was the same way with sleep because I am a side sleeper. I could fall asleep on my back, but after an hour or so I was up and not due to pain. It was 3-4 weeks before I could sleep on my side by placing my left leg over and around my TKR, it gave me a few hours of wonderful sleep.

Try not to overdo with laundry. Fold while elevating and rest in between loads.
 
@sistersinhim what brand/model ice machine did you get, and where did you get it from, and how much was it. Did your insurance cover any of it? I wonder if medicare will for me?

Oh ya and GREAT getting your leg up on the bed. I remember what a milestone it was for me with my hip. You are doing great
 
We are both making great progress. Now if only we could sleep!
 
I'm also a side sleeper and didn't get much sleep last night, I had lots of visitors yesterday and didn't get much rest during the day, my leg was super swollen and in pain last night, much better this morning!
 
I guess one actual advantage I'll have. Since my hip nightmare, I've been a back sleeper. I cant sleep on my left side at all because the scar tissue is so bad, it's too painful on that side. My right side bothers my knee so much, I have adapted to only sleeping on my back.
 
Ahh @sistersinhim thank you. That's the exact one I was looking at. Did it come with the thing that goes around your knee, or did you have to buy that separately?

I wont have a problem filling or moving it from room to room, thats what my live in caretaker aka my husband is for ;-) , among other things as well.
 
It has what they consider a knee attachment, but it's small. I'm using it, but before I have the left one replaced I'll buy a much bigger one that wraps around the whole knee. I think they make those for it. The one thing I don't like is it has a timer and cuts off after the number of minutes chosen has cycled. It's not bad during the day because I'm up and down all day long, but it's a pain at night, so I use the other one that takes only ice cubes for my over-the-night icing. I have to refill it just one time before morning. Not too bad! I don't have a hubby to refill these machines for me, but I do have a rolling walker with a seat that's just the right size to carry them!
 
Ughhh thanks for exposing that flaw. I think it's a big drawback. May have to keep searching. What is the max amount of mins you can set it for?
 
30 minutes is the maximum. I think that's because it's what all the professionals say is the maximum time to ice. I ice all day and most of the night long. If you are anything like I am, you'll be getting up every 30 minutes or so anyway during the day. There also might be a way to override it by someone who's tech savvy.
 
@dianehelen My ice machine runs until you turn it off. There is no timer. There is a a way to adjust how cold you want it to be.

I definitely understand about being a side sleeper. I am still having problems getting comfortable at night. I tried all types of configurations with pillows to no avail. I hope you get your staples out today. I felt much more comfortable with them out.
 
@dianehelen Yes mine is the glacier. I bought it on my own. I had no RX for it. I think you might get Medicare to pay for it if your OS gives you a RX but call Medicare to check with them first. Medicare did pay for my commode I got after this surgery.
 
I have a commode, 2 walkers and 2 canes from previous adventures. So you got yours direct from breg and did not need a rx . Did you have to create an account, seems their site requires that. Sorry I'm asking so many questions, just trying to get this all straight in my mind before time comes and my brain gets overwhelmed
 
Finally, the staples are out. All 35 of them. 34 hurt and 1 I didn't feel. I don't like staple or stitches. Next time give me the glue! I had about half a dozen spots that bled so the nurse put a long bandage on it. I can take it off tonight. So far, I'm not feeling any improvement, but of course, I've not done anything but nap since having them out about 90 minutes ago. Another hurdle behind me! Yippee! Praise God!
 
Each little step, is a forward one. I think in a day or two, the aggrivation of getting the staples out, may take effect and you could feel a bit more comfortable. That's my hope, but overall I think you are doing just great, all things considered. You and Amy Jo, and Clara are my beacons. SHINE ON!
 
@sistersinhim I'm so glad your staples are out, that should give you some relief...talk about napping, every time I opened my eyes thinking that I just blinked an hour has gone by, it took me three tries to watch one episode of Rizzoli and Isles, I kept falling asleep, hahaha
 
At least they're out, like you I felt every one of the 36, then 52 from the infection surgery. The PA said my revision guy liked staples.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom