TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I have my phone set up to alarm when a doze is due, but I slept through it! Not so this morning. I've been waking up every few hours again. It's nice to know, though, that there's good sleeping in my future! For at least 25 years I've had to move my knees every few hours or the pain would be intense and that included nighttime. After the surgical healing is complete, I shouldn't have to do that anymore. Of course, then it's the matter of having to pee every few hours! At least everything working right!

I got the OK to go back on my probiotics and my yeast infection symptoms have disappeared! The stool softeners and Miralax are keeping things moving in that area without the cramps that sometime accompany a laxative!

When I took my first step from off the bed a few minutes ago, it wasn't as painful as it has been just a few days ago! I'm hoping when the staples come out that it'll be even less so! Did you find removing the staples resulted in less pulling pain?

I have found myself on an emotional rollercoaster the last few days. One minute I want to cry, the next, laugh, or get angry over nothing. It's been two weeks today and one minute I'm glad I had the surgery and the next I could kick myself. I'm feeling some better and I'm lonely. I've had only one couple visit me here and no one in the hospital except for my coach. No one from church has come to see me. I do get cards, texts and phone calls, but I miss my church family. I'm sure they think that it's still to early to have company, but I wish they'd ask me if so!

Here's wishing all my bonesmart friends and fellow June Sunbeamers a low-pain, successful, and happy day. Thank you for all your prayers!
 
It sounds as if everything is going well. It's good to know that sleep is getting easier.

Sorry you've got the blues, but I'm afraid that's part of the package for this recovery. It should only last for a few weeks but if it lingers on or it's really getting you down, do see your own doctor. Remember this article?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I remember my emotions being all over the place for a while. As well as being weepy, I got very short-tempered. My poor husband! I remember losing it and shouting at him one day :hissy:, simply because he wasn't a mind reader and he couldn't guess instantly what I needed him to do. The poor fellow fled to his office at the other end of the house and he stayed there for an hour or two. :blackcloud:
 
Are there friends you can ask to come over to watch a movie? Maybe just put it out there via text that you're well enough for visitors now. Are there deacons or deaconess at your church? These are the groups responsible for caring after the congregation at my church. Let them know you are in need of fellowship. After my 2nd surgery I accidentally called a friend/colleague and was in tears, asking her to visit since I had called her anyway. As my recovery moved on, she was the most understanding of all my colleagues and I think it was because she talked to me at my very worst.
 
I agree with Karri about inviting people from your church. They are probably staying away because they feel that you aren't feeling up to visitors yet. I'm sure there are members of your church that would love to visit.
 
I am down two pounds from my pre-surgery weight and have enjoyed ice cream and cheese cake and pizza. These are treats I try to keep in check. I have never set my clock to wake up for meds because I am usually awake! Last night my dog jumped on my chest at 4:00 and woke-me. I had taken meds at 3:00. Too bad I can't regulate her timing better. :heehee:
 
We could be the blues sisters, I'm right there with you. Having visitors does help to lift the spirit. Your friends may not know that you're ready for visitors, so putting the word out that you're ready for a little company may help. I'm a member of a women's group and they never offered to come over, but once I asked them to, they were on it! Twice the group has come over and we had a nice discussion about what's going on in our lives. I felt so much more connected to the world. Oh, and they brought food, which was wonderful. Short visits are the best. Thinking of you and wishing you peace and comfort.
 
Visitors are nice. At least they are a good distraction. One brought me a book to read and I was able read it during my long awake hours when the rest of the world is sleeping. I find that I am concentrating a little better. I think people are afraid to come for fear they will tire us. I think getting the word out via the church is a good idea or tell a friend to spread the word that you would enjoy company.
 
Unfortunately, I'm one of those stubborn people that find it hard to ask for something I need or want. I feel like people should know what I want. Stupid, huh? I know no one can read my mind. This independent streak of mine can cause a lot of heartache. Maybe the next time someone asks me if there's anything I need, I'll ask them to bring so and so. That way they would visit when bringing something I need! I don't see me just coming out and asking for visitors and nothing else.
I'm definitely feeling less pain when walking! And I'm down to 5mg of Oxy every 4 to 5 hours during the day. I'm still on 10mg 2x at night. OS gave me a refill for 120 pills, so I should be in good shape until I go on to something less strong.
I can almost lift my right leg all the way up to the bed without assistance! It's getting much stronger! There's still a lot of stiffness in there, so my bend is less than I'd like. But, I know it'll come. It's just I need that P word again that I'm so bad about! You know, patience!
 
We are very much alike. I want to do everything for myself and hate to ask for help. I remind myself that you are doing them a favor by letting them help you. I am sure you have been there for them in the past. I made a list of everyone who told me that want to help and will call them when I need a ride to out patient PT. It has amazed me how good my boyfriend has been. He is here every evening. When he is here I try to be upbeat because he always is. His wife died three years ago of drug addiction and diabetes and he hates drugs. He claims he is not a caregiver but he has been good for me. Just having someone to watch a movie with is helpful. Congratulations on your increasing strength. Remember the first few days when you couldn't lift that leg at all?
 
@Floridagal, I sure do remember not being able to lift my leg at all! These improvements are coming about without any PT, just my daily living. My steps have increased to over 2000 a day now, without even trying! My next project will be to change the sheets on my bed! I'm sure that will wear me out! I'm still napping 3 to 4 times a day.

We lost a wonderful man at church yesterday. He was riding his lawnmower cutting the grass and didn't see the telephone guide wire. He ran right into it with his neck and chest and it flipped him off the mower into a ditch. He had extension internal injuries and passed last night. This has us all broken hearted. It just goes to show you that you never know when your time's up. This man had cut his grass there probably thousands of time, and this time got him. I am sure I'll have to miss his funeral. It's a 25 minute drive from home each way, not to mention the huge crowds that I'd have to walk through. The knee just won't let me do it, I'm sure. I'll be there in spirit though.

Thanks for listening.
 
@sistersinhim 2000 steps? Really, wow! Were you walking that much before your surgery? I am in so much pain from my knee, I can barely walk the 50 or so steps to my back door to let my dogs out. I can swim a mile but I cant walk 100 steps at one time. How much pain were you in before?
 
Before my surgery I was walking from 7500 to 15000 a day. I knew I had to get myself in the best of shape that I could be in before hand. I had to watch every step or else I'd hit that piercing nail spot! I really enjoy swimming, but that was worse on my knees than walking. And forget my bike riding. I really missed that. I look forward to the day that I'll be able to do all that and more!
 
Wow, im doomed.I have never really been able to walk that much, even years ago when I was in decent shape *gulp* im scared
 
My aim before surgery was to walk 6,000 steps a day but it was getting harder and harder to do. I am hitting about 2,000 every day now. Do you have a fitbit? Today I have been sleeping a great deal. I think all the sleepless nights have caught up to me. I am happy to sleep during the day.

It was so sad to hear about your fellow church member. Is he married? If so his wife will appreciate support down the road. I don't remember who was at my husbands memorial service but I remember those who went out of their way to help me later. I am glad you realize your limitations on the long driving, being in crowds and sitting through a service. Are you receiving PT at home? Tomorrow I am being discharged from home PT and then I can go out when and if I want to.
 
@sistersinhim I'm so sorry about the gentleman from your church who passed away. Prayers are heard wherever they are said.

@dianehelen I wasn't able to walk very much before my TKR as my knees had been bad for many years. I was walking in a small mall today and actually saw myself walking very quickly without thinking about it. We'll catch up to them.

I found myself falling asleep in the middle of the day at times too. I would have a couple of good days as far as feeling more awake and then a few days of total sleepiness. I've finally am having more wide awake days.
 
Thank you for that encouragement @newlybionic it means alot to me.I'm happy you seem to be getting near that light at the end of that long dark tunnel.
 
Unfortunately, I'm one of those stubborn people that find it hard to ask for something I need or want. I feel like people should know what I want. Stupid, huh? I know no one can read my mind. This independent streak of mine can cause a lot of heartache. Maybe the next time someone asks me if there's anything I need, I'll ask them to bring so and so.
We are very much alike. I want to do everything for myself and hate to ask for help. I remind myself that you are doing them a favor by letting them help you.
Ladies, I have just the article for you!
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
The mother description may not be appropriate, but the rest of the article is.
Wow, im doomed.I have never really been able to walk that much, even years ago when I was in decent shape *gulp* im scared
@dianehelen - No need to be scared! Walking a great distance isn't mandatory. What is important is that, once you have recovered from the surgery, you will be able to walk without that awful pre-op pain.
 
@dianehelen -before my knees were replaced I was a total slug for years. My knees had been in such bad shape I hadn't been able to do much of anything. Since then I've lost 85 pounds, I work out at the YMCA 3 times a week riding the bike and lifting weights, enjoy walking as much as I can and most of all I can shop in a mall all day with the best of them(to my husband's dismay!) I feel like I'm 25 again! I never would have believed it would be possible or that it would have made that much of a difference in my quality of life. Hang in there - you'll get there!
 
@dianehelen you are swimming, which is an excellent exercise so you don't have anything to worry about not being able to walk much. You are using all those leg muscles to swim! Yes, @Floridagal, I have a Fitbit. It is the one that clips on. I usually clip it on my socks or pants leg. I had bought a Samsung GearFit bracelet. I found that it was counting only about 1/3 of my steps because I don't swing my arms when I walk. The Fitbit does a really good job and I get credit for my steps!

Yes, Robbie was married. Betty, his wife, is in bad physical shape. I am really concerned with what will happen to her. She hasn't driven in a few years and Robbie took her everywhere. Betty just called me a few minutes ago and asked if my roommate and I could sing at his service Saturday and I had to decline myself, but Marilyn will sing. Marilyn and I have been singing together since the 90's and are called Sistersinhim Ministries. I am so sorry I had to decline, but in the future God will provide me a way to help her. Right now I will just continue to lift her up in prayer.

I thought my nurse would come and remove my staples today since it's been two weeks, but I haven't heard a thing from her. Maybe I'll give her a call tomorrow morning to try and find out what's going on. I am ready to get these things out!
 
I thought about you last night. For the first time I was able to lie on my side. Maybe you'll be able to do the same soon. Let us know how the staple removal goes. Yesterday I sat at the computer too long and paid the price. I have to get a stool or something for my leg. It is not happy hanging down for more than a couple minutes.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom