TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Celle is right, I wouldn't think about an outing until you are regularly getting dressed and able to do a few things around the house. Unfortunately I didn't make it to church for 3 months, but two different pastors visited me at home and in the hospital. When I did go to church I took up a couple seats because I elevated my leg during the service. Elevating where ever I went was the only way to stay comfortable.
 
I wish I could nap during the day! I get a couple hours of sleep at night and then am awake all day. I think it is good that you are catching up on missed zzzz during the day. Your knee sounds like mine.
 
I had an invitation to church and turned it down. I knew that I couldn't sit still that long. Like you the knee burns and once in awhile gives me a sharp stab. I am glad I can tell people when they invite me out that it is "against the rules" because I am classified as home bound. Last night I didn't get much sleep and still am not a good napper. Enjoy those naps!
 
It's like I can't not nap. It might be partly because of my Oxycodone. Once I sit down and try to read or watch TV, I'm out like a light. I've never been like this before. My night's are the same. The longest time I have slept at one time is around 2 1/2 hours. That's a big improvement. Last week it was only about 90 minutes at a time without taking many naps. The naps started at the beginning of my second week after my TKR. I have been walking more and more without my walker. Sometimes I use the forearm crutches, sometimes nothing but the furniture to grab hold to if need be. Besides the tiredness, my next complaint is the burning pain and skin. There's not too much pain when I put weight on my leg except when I take that first step. Sometime during the night, in my sleep I tried turn over and lay on my side. That was quite painful and has left me sore today. I have always been a side sleeper and I guess my body wanted to try it again.

Today's the first day I've changed out of my gown! Another baby step towards that normal goal!

How is your tummy now? I have found that drinking protein drinks is helping with my nausea. The protein in them stays in the stomach longer, thus protecting it from the pain pill. Plus it's giving me that much needed building block for my new knee!
 
It's wise to let your knee take its time and not try to rush it. Your knee will thank you for that and you will feel much more comfortable.
 
Thank you for the link @dianehelen. They sound really good and full of that much needed protein! I have bought 4 cases of another brand from Sam's. When I'm finished with those I'll think about trying these out. They make an easy lunch or dinner. And I'm all for ease!
 
Yes I practically lived on those for the year I dealt with my hip and wound vac from the infection. I could hardly eat and they filled in nicely for my need for healing protein.
 
My OS wanted me on a high protein diet after my infection also. Luckily, I love protein, my family made me all sorts of meals to try to give me the most protein possible because I didn't have much of an appetite.

I was also on oxycodone and had a hard time with reading or concentrating on much of anything.
 
I'd rather do the drinks than eat regular meals. I know they're good for me and they aren't as heavy on a touchy tummy. I glad I bought way ahead! I have all these nice meals prepared and I just don't want them. But, set a bowl of ice cream in front of me and I'll eat that right up!

It takes me all day long to read just my daily Bible reading! Forget trying to read anything else and make sense of it! If I watch a whole TV show, I couldn't tell you what it was about afterwards! I will be glad when my pain level goes down enough that I can get off of this stuff. I'm not use to not having a brain!
 
Well, there's good news and bad news! The good news is I slept from 3:30am to 8:30am! The bad news is I slept through my scheduled pain meds time. Nighty minutes late and boy did my knee tell me! It took about 2 1/2 hours to get the pain level back down. I loved the nice sleep, but hated the pain. I must do better! I've been walking around today without the crutch or walker! It's scary, but liberating at the same time. I still use the walker as a carrying tool, but not so much a walking tool anymore! The exhaustion is still noticeable, but I expect that. BS warned me that it is a natural reaction to this surgery, so I'm not worried. It looks like it'll be a few more weeks before I get back to church. It'll happen when it happens. The knee is in control.
 
Other than missing the meds, I am so thrilled that you are doing as well as you are. I keep hoping I do even close to as well. Cheering you on from a few states away. GOOOOO PAULA! :wowspring::loveshwr::yes!:
 
Hurray for the Good News! I'm glad you did catch up on the pain. I switched from walker to cane because I kept walker away from the walker leaving it all over the house. I then started doing a cane. I took my cane in my car and just left it there eventually. It lives there now. It's handy if I ever think I need it.
 
Very good! Like you I sometime walk around the house without the cane but then I tend to limp some so I try to stick to the cane. I hope you sleep tonight. Sweet dreams.
 
Ha! Are we related? Ice cream is one of my 4 main food groups ;-) wine, cheese, chocolate, ICE CREAM haha!

I lived on chocolate ice cream after my first TKR and somehow managed to lose 10 pounds. It was the only thing that I could find appetizing. The second one I ate the same thing ...and everything else I could get my hands on and gained 5 pounds! I eventually lost that and more, but I enjoyed the " ice cream" diet while it lasted.
 
Protein drinks and ice cream! What could be better! I had gained 4 pounds of fluid after the surgery. 3 of those are gone and I hope to keep dropping. I have all these nice meals, but don't want many of them. Just my protein drinks and ice cream!
 
Sounds good to me. More reason to eat more!
 
I'm glad you slept better, but sorry you missed a dose of your meds. It's not fun playing catch-up with the pain, is it?

I used to set my alarm clock to ring 5 minutes before a pain med was due. That way, I didn't miss a dose and get off schedule.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom