Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Thank you, Celle and Jockette. Me, too. I pray it's just my increased activities. But, a knee almost two years old shouldn't fuss about doing more things. I've also had hyper extension occasionally.
 
@Josephine or @Jamie, is it normal to still have swelling in the areas of my previously broken bones? I find the foot very painful to walk on after a heavy lifting day. I'm working on getting wood logs ready for the heating season next winter. I was unable to handle it this year and my electric bill was way up!
 
This is really a question for Jo. I would think it's always possible to have soft tissue issues, so "normal"....maybe. Jo should be able to give you more guidance, though. Have you talked with your doctor about the pain and swelling?
 
So sorry to read about your troubles. You will be in my prayers. I hope you soon find answers for what's happening.
 
I haven't spoken to the OS who last looked at my breaks since my last xrays. I have an appointment for my knee at the same office, but I doubt he'd do anything for my ankle and foot. The foot/ankle are OK until I put stress on them. Then that night I have pretty bad pain upon weight baring and some swelling. Of course, that whole leg, from the knee down, is bigger than the other leg. It will be a year on the 21st of this month that I broke them.
 
I broke my elbow years ago, just a little piece of it, and I had pain to some extent for a year. An elbow doesn’t have as much demands put on it as an ankle, so maybe with the extra work you’ve done recently it’s just not ready to handle it. I wouldn’t think there would be much swelling at this point, though.

(An elbow would have stress put on it if I was lifting really heavy things, which I wasn’t. )
 
Well, Paula, you may be disappointed to learn that such fractures can take at least 12 months to become pain free and possibly several months longer than that. It's mostly because it's a weight bearing area, even more so than the knee, obviously. So yous till need to take it easy and not do too much. And I would suggest that hauling logs is not a good idea!
 
Oh thank you so much, Josephine. You know how our brains can run amuck with all kinds of scary things! It's hard to not do wood, so I will cut them into much smaller pieces. That will probably be good for my knee, too, which I will have xrayed on the 31st to see why I'm having ongoing pain that's increasing.
 
Last edited:
@Josephine, I would like your opinion on my pain location. It's RB1, DEF. The pain does not go up my thigh, but from the knee down. I tried IB band exercises, which produced no improvement. Since the pain radiates down, I don't think it's that. The pain is gradually getting worse and now it's uncomfortable to push on the lawn tractor pedal. My knee is not warmer than the left one, but from the knee down it is about 1/2-1" larger.
 
The pain does not go up my thigh, but from the knee down. I tried IB band exercises, which produced no improvement. Since the pain radiates down, I don't think it's that.
Well you're right. What you have is one of these Shin splints, shin pain, compartment syndrome

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
It actually runs down the side of my leg. I will check it out in the library. Thank you so much!
 
I hope your pain improves and has nothing to do with your knee replacement. :console2:
 
Thank you, Jockette. Me, too! I guess I'll find out the end of the month.
 
I haven't spoken to the OS who last looked at my breaks since my last xrays. I have an appointment for my knee at the same office, but I doubt he'd do anything for my ankle and foot. The foot/ankle are OK until I put stress on them. Then that night I have pretty bad pain upon weight baring and some swelling. Of course, that whole leg, from the knee down, is bigger than the other leg. It will be a year on the 21st of this month that I broke them.
Years ago, I twisted my ankle and had a really bad sprain. My foot would swell up almost everyday for about five years afterwards, either because of activity or on a hot and humid day. I thought it would never get better. That was in 1980's. To this day, from time to time, it will swell again. I really had to treat it with TCL for a very long time before it got better.
I hope your issue gets resolved but it is possible that you are having ongoing issues related, at least indirectly, to your initial foot injury.
 
I hope your issue gets resolved but it is possible that you are having ongoing issues related, at least indirectly, to your initial foot injury.
I was wondering that myself. I doubt my knee pain could be coming from the ankle, but the overall swelling might be. Storms will cause pain in my foot and ankle, so I have new weather predictors now.
 
We had storms come through Sat evening and more rain yesterday and storms are predicted every day for the next week or so. That could be why my knee feels worse than usual today.
 
Back
Top Bottom